• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la plata walking alone? Is it safe?

NaimaA

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances 2007, camino Portugues 2008, camino Aragones 2014
I have walked three caminos, now I am thinking walking Via de la Plata starting mid march. For all of you that have walked it....will it be a good time of the year to start?? Also is it a very solitary Camino?? Will I meet other Piligrims along the way?? I have always walked alone and I am a little concerned..... Any suggestion ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love solitude when I walk. When I reach my destination, I love being with other pilgrims in the albergues and cafes. For these reasons (and quite a few more), I love the VdlP.

And, yes, as SYates says, it is safe.

And, yes, mid-March to mid-April is the best time to walk. The weather is ideal (sometimes a bit too cold or rainy, but the rest of the time perfect). The fields and rolling hills are spectacular in the early morning sun. The well kept secret is that you get to follow the spring flowers north until you come to Galacia. If you want an idea of what you'll see, I've got tons of photographs on my website (http://camino.bsewall.com/wordpress/).

I've also walked a large section alone and felt perfectly safe. The only section I know where there has been trouble is leaving Sevilla. I think if I were to walk alone again, I'd find someone to walk with that first day. Otherwise, no problem at all and a wonderful walk in March/April.

I have walked three caminos, now I am thinking walking Via de la Plata starting mid march. For all of you that have walked it....will it be a good time of the year to start?? Also is it a very solitary Camino?? Will I meet other Piligrims along the way?? I have always walked alone and I am a little concerned..... Any suggestion ?
if you have always walked solitary caminos, is there something in particular that causes you to be a little concerned?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walked Granada-Santiago in August (yeah, I know, I'm crazy :rolleyes:) alone, sleeping outside.
This Way sees more people before and after summer, because of the heat. There are a lot of bicigrinos (bikes) too.
I met no one before Merida, up to 5 people until Zamora. More people after this city...
No security problem at all! Locals are very nice, helpful and caring: less pilgrims makes a big difference!
It's a solitary, but very nice Camino!

full

I see that was your first ever post on this forum. Welcome to the forum!

I would say that best thing to do is to read some of the VdlP journals you can find in subforum. Otherwise you can get NO and/or YES answers without much else ;)

Planning is almost half the fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi NaimaA
I have walked this way three times and each time solo. Meeting people on the way is half the fun. The only stage that I was a little wary of was stage 1 Sevilla to Guillena otherwise every other stage was fine. No major issues I actually felt safe walking this way. I agree with KinkyOne to read up on information posted in the forum. Good luck with your planning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did so in February/march this year, alone, and felt perfectly safe. There were a few other pilgrims around, but not too many. Buen Camino, SY
thank you for your thoughts, they help me.

I've also walked a large section alone and felt perfectly safe. The only section I know where there has been trouble is leaving Sevilla. I think if I were to walk alone again, I'd find someone to walk with that first day. Otherwise, no problem at all and a wonderful walk in March/April.
Thank you for your comment, it is very helful.

if you have always walked solitary caminos, is there something in particular that causes you to be a little concerned?
Good question.... ?when I walked the Portuguese Camino 7 years a go, icross paths with only 7 peregrinos between Lisboa and Oporto, i found it somewhat difficult and very solitary, specially in the evenings. Maybe now it is more popular. Thank you.

€149,-
I see that was your first ever post on this forum. Welcome to the forum!

I would say that best thing to do is to read some of the VdlP journals you can find in subforum. Otherwise you can get NO and/or YES answers without much else ;)

Planning is almost half the fun!
Thank you !!!

Welcome to this great forum!

VdlP starting in March is a good idea. It is well marked, you will bump into others, and I never experienced trouble along the way. There are a couple of long stretches in the beginning, but just take your time: No bed race there.

Buen Camino!

Welcome to this great forum!

VdlP starting in March is a good idea. It is well marked, you will bump into others, and I never experienced trouble along the way. There are a couple of long stretches in the beginning, but just take your time: No bed race there.

Buen Camino!
Thank you Alexwalker !! yes I am very excited to start in mid march. I am very thank full to all the replies That I have receive in this blog. Thank you to all of you peregrinos!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi NaimaA
I have walked this way three times and each time solo. Meeting people on the way is half the fun. The only stage that I was a little wary of was stage 1 Sevilla to Guillena otherwise every other stage was fine. No major issues I actually felt safe walking this way. I agree with KinkyOne to read up on information posted in the forum. Good luck with your planning.
Thank you from a canadian peregrina. You are All very helpful!

If you want guides, here are some links to cheap and good ones:

http://www.csj.org.uk/product-category/guides/page/5/

For Sevilla-Santiago, I used this one:

http://www.csj.org.uk/product/the-camino-mozarabe-or-via-de-la-plata-part-a-seville-to-santiago/

It served me very well: It is light, contains all info you'll need, it's cheap, and you'll have it in your mailbox within 3-4 days.

I am very thank full to all the replies That I have receive in this blog
This is not a blog: It is the biggest Internet forum on the different Caminos in Spain in the world! :)

All the best and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
So a couple of you have mentioned the first stage of the Vdlp as being possibly problematic. What is it about this stage that you found concerning? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've just done the VDLP and I'm now on the Sanabrese. Different time of year but I would certainly not walk it in my own and all of us at the table now have just agreed. We went three days not seeing another person! Walking with a friend and we have often commented how glad we are not to be walking alone. it is also not well marked in places.

So a couple of you have mentioned the first stage of the Vdlp as being possibly problematic. What is it about this stage that you found concerning? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Nothing major really, a few/lots of lose dogs on the first stage out of Seville but we got to an agreement - You don't bite me, I don't kick/hit you. The next time, I would perhaps take the way via Camas, but really, the route alongside the river is fine also.
Buen Camino, SY

I found with stray menacing dogs (NOT the Spanish shepherd dogs) just bending down to pretend to grab a stone was enough to make them back off!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To answer your question, the concerns about the first stage out of Seville date back several years to when there was reportedly a robbery in that stretch. Then as @SYates mentions some stray dogs. I intend to walk it next spring and will choose the route through Camas. Since it will be my first day out and I won't be in my stride yet, I would probably also like to walk (loosely) with people that I might have met in Seville.

Hi,
I did the Via de la Plata alone in May. I had to go at kind of a fast pace (I averaged 40 km/day) because I decided I wanted to reach Santiago and time was limited so I felt a little insecure when I was walking in the evening (it never really was dark when I walked though). I also didn't like leaving early in the morning when it was still dark. But I never had issues. Just use common sense. I had a great time!

Elizabeth

Thank you Elizabeth, your reply together with other forum replies, has really giving me the confidence to walk this Camino route.
Naima

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I intend to walk it next spring and will choose the route through Camas. Since it will be my first day out and I won't be in my stride yet, I would probably also like to walk (loosely) with people that I might have met in Seville.

C clearly-- WHEN in the Spring are you going? I would love to walk the VdLP route and a bit afraid to commit as a SOLO walker; would love company at a minimum at the take off in Seville. In all honesty, I would love to at least start with somebody. My last Camino was the Frances in July 2014. Married Female, non-smoker, 55 y/o, average kms/day 23-25, speak English and Spanish both fluently.

Anybody starting in April 2017? :)

We are starting mid April.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been thinking of starting in early-to-mid-March, but plans are still uncertain.

Early to Mid-March would be at least 3 weeks before Holy Week which is a very busy week in Spain, most specially in Andalucía. I'd been in the region in late March and it is very comfortable. I have work limitations to a couple of weeks in April. It is either start VdLP or Camino de Madrid.

I have been thinking of starting in early-to-mid-March, but plans are still uncertain.

Early to Mid-March would be at least 3 weeks before Holy Week which is a very busy week in Spain, most specially in Andalucía. I'd been in the region in late March and it is very comfortable. I have work limitations to a couple of weeks in April. It is either start VdLP or Camino de Madrid.

My plans are to start walking vdlp on march 5 if it works out that we can coincide to star the Camino together, that would be great. I am spanish -canadian living in the rocky mountains in British Columbia Canada

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have you booked your flight? I won't be sure of my plans until mid-to-late January. But hopefully we can stay in touch!

Hello C, yes I just booked my flight and I will be in Sevilla on March 6,2017 I will either start walking the 7 or 8....

Hello C, yes I just booked my flight and I will be in Sevilla on March 6,2017 I will either start walking the 7 or 8....
Good to know! I have to wait a while before booking.
Hi C, I see we are both connected on a saturday morning....where in BC are you from ? Maybe we are neibour's.....

I'm planning on walking beginning of April. 1st give or take a day.
How are you arriving in Seville ? Haven't made my travel arrangement yet. Open for suggestions.
I'll start with you if time coincides

I'm planning on walking beginning of April. 1st give or take a day.
How are you arriving in Seville ? Haven't made my travel arrangement yet. Open for suggestions.
I'll start with you if time coincides
Hello Cliff, I am flying Barcelona to Sevilla on Vueling, 39 eu, on March 6, and planning on start walking March 7 or 8....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,
Those dates are too early for me. I have to leave toward end of march. Thank You for the flight info. Enjoy your Camino,
Buen Camino!
Cliff

i've just done my first via de la plata, started from sevilla on 19.10. and it was very safe. 80% i was alone in the albergues, some were closed and are supposed to stay closed until mid march (like benavente) so plan your stages accordingly, as the infrastructure is sparse compared to camino frances and local buses most often don't run on weekends. you'll meet some dogs, sometimes a bunch of them, i suggest a non-aggressive "peace brother" approach in their language, it worked fine for me. the only practical problem i've encountered was a strange mix of weather, andalucia was very hot and around cañaveral it got very cold but you can buy the gear if needed as you walk in bigger towns along the way. buen camino!

Last edited:
i've just done my first via de la plata, started from sevilla on 19.10. and it was very safe. 80% i was alone in the albergues, some were closed and are supposed to stay closed until mid march (like benavente) so plan your stages accordingly, as the infrastructure is sparse compared to camino frances and local buses most often don't run on weekends. you'll meet some dogs, sometimes a bunch of them, i suggest a non-aggressive "peace brother" approach in their language, it worked fine for me. the only practical problem i've encountered was a strange mix of weather, andalucia was very hot and around cañaveral it got very cold but you can buy the gear if needed as you walk in bigger towns along the way. buen camino!

Thank you for all the information, do you remember in which sections you encountered the dogs....? I like dogs, but for sure they can be intimidated at times. Congratulations on your first Camino !

before zamora there are some farms with sheeps and with 4 or more shephers dogs protecting them, i had a couple of tricky situations there, but otherwise it was mostly when passing through small villages and in city suburbs. gl!

I am walking Vdp Starting March 3, 2017 from Seville to Salamanca. Would love to hear about others planning that timeframe so we can stay connected about conditions. I've studied the guidebooks and feel fairly confident that I will finds accommodations at every stage...even mid stages. I'm a slow walker and plan to arrive in Salamanca about March 25, for a 27th departure.

Hi NaimaA
I am walking Vdp Starting March 3, 2017 from Seville to Salamanca. Would love to hear about others planning that timeframe so we can stay connected about conditions. I've studied the guidebooks and feel fairly confident that I will finds accommodations at every stage...even mid stages. I'm a slow walker and plan to arrive in Salamanca about March 25, for a 27th departure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am arriving in Seville March 21. Most likely begin walking on the 23 .
I'm up for company if anyone is leaving at that time.

I started my Camino in Sevilla alone, but along the way met pilgrims and mostly did not walk alone. I never felt unsafe. The only issues I found were the occasional dogs... but they didn't do anything...and if you go in the spring possibly LOTS of Rain. I left Sevilla March 21 2013, the first 2 days were sunny and then there were 20 days of almost constant rain. This made the rivers very swollen, so I would suggest using caution/common sense when crossing streams.

Buen Camino.... You will love this route!
(I am going this May!!!!)

C clearly-- WHEN in the Spring are you going? I would love to walk the VdLP route and a bit afraid to commit as a SOLO walker; would love company at a minimum at the take off in Seville. In all honesty, I would love to at least start with somebody. My last Camino was the Frances in July 2014. Married Female, non-smoker, 55 y/o, average kms/day 23-25, speak English and Spanish both fluently.

Anybody starting in April 2017? :)
Hi Olivares , Paddy aged 70 , Ireland starting from Seville on 26th of April , non smoker , widowed since 28/11/2013 , . Intend to walk to Guillena on first day , Castilblanco on second, and then see how its going. Intend to reach Santiago on 29th of May, so need to average over 30 km . Will stay in albergue in Triana on 25th of April. Glad of company on the first stage also.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello C Clearly, I will be in Sevilla on march 6, planning to start the 7 or the 8
Totally agree with you and would also like to start with someone....I am staying at hotel Simon on march 6....

Hello C Clearly, I will be in Sevilla on march 6, planning to start the 7 or the 8
Totally agree with you and would also like to start with someone....I am staying at hotel Simon on march 6....
Looks like I won't be starting until March 18-20, so doubt that I'll catch up!.

Hi Naima
I do hope your Camino went well in 2017.
I am thinking of walking Salamanca to SDC alone in March /April 2018.
This will be my fifth year on a Camino (previous Portuguese and Frances) and now i am contemplating venturing off the familiar and trying the quieter VdlP. I am 67 with bad knees so I will take it slow.
Would you perhaps share a little on how your Walk alone on the VdlP went last year. Was it very lonesome did you feel safe were the locals friendly? My previous walks on the Frances have been lonesome at times ( felt good to work through it) 3 times in four years I have felt a little fearful but have my sticks which I am happy to wave about like a crazed banshee and walked away unscathed. I didn't walk alone much on the Portuguese.
I am still ( at this late stage!) trying to decide whether to stick to the familiar Frances and Finisterre and Muxia or new ground!
Your generosity in sharing might just help to get me to a decision:)
Thanks

Hi Naima
This will be my fifth year on a Camino (previous Portuguese and Frances) and now i am contemplating venturing off the familiar and trying the quieter VdlP. I am 67 with bad knees so I will take it slow.
Would you perhaps share a little on how your Walk alone on the VdlP went last year. Was it very lonesome did you feel safe were the locals friendly? My previous walks on the Frances have been lonesome at times ( felt good to work through it) 3 times in four years I have felt a little fearful but have my sticks which I am happy to wave about like a crazed banshee and walked away unscathed. I didn't walk alone much on the Portuguese.
I am still ( at this late stage!) trying to decide whether to stick to the familiar Frances and Finisterre and Muxia or new ground!
Thanks
Hi Stepping pono,
I walked Salamanca to Santiago last May. My observations , much more sparsely populated than Frances or Portugese ,so walked alone for 4 out of 21 Days, Never felt in danger. Some big distances between albergues. Never felt unsafe . Beautiful walk . Enjoy . Paddy

Hi Naima
Thanks
Hi Naima
Thanks

During March 3 to 28 2017 I walked from Seville to Sslamanca. I was expecting and prepared to walk a solitary camino, and walked alone out of Seville the first day. The Backpacker hostel is a popular starting point in Seville if you would like to increase chances of meeting others.
I met a lady about 3/4 of the way to the first town Guillena when the rain and sleet and wind and overflowing stream occurred. Surprisingly, we ended up being 8 pilgrims that evening at the one albergue. I made a large batch of soup and we all moved on pretty.much together the rest of the camino.
The stages are long so there are few options to stay in between stages as there are on the Frances. I'm also a very slow walker, but managed to remain part of this lose group since we always stayed in same albergue as there are not many opened.
Several times, on very long 30km stages I would take a taxi part way or hop on a bus when possible to shorten the distance.
I always felt safe. I suggest that you carry a cell phone and have data service. Download Gpx tracks that you can follow, even though trail is well marked. Carry lots of water and food as there are few places in between towns.
You will meet whoever you are meant to meet. Go without fear and enjoy.
The landscapes and villages are more rural. You walk through farms with grazing cows, sheep, and pigs. Ballota trees, a type of oak with acorns used as food for pigs are abundant. The locals are welcoming and friendly. The Roman architecture is stupendous.
Temperatures varied from very hot 90F on shadeless stretches to cold in higher elevations. I found a cheap umbrella that was very helpful for sun protection.
You can read about my camino in my fb psge Rosa's Journey for my daily posts during that time.
Buen Camino
Rosa

Hi Stepping pono,
I walked Salamanca to Santiago last May. My observations , much more sparsely populated than Frances or Portugese ,so walked alone for 4 out of 21 Days, Never felt in danger. Some big distances between albergues. Never felt unsafe . Beautiful walk . Enjoy . Paddy

Thanks for the encouragement Paddy. It's really reassuring to get feedback from those who've walked it before. Feeling better about already
So easy to forget that we are never truly alone on the Camino:)
I have noticed those big distances will most likely walk those long distances over two days (bus in bus out wherever possible )

During March 3 to 28 2017 I walked from Seville to Sslamanca. I was expecting and prepared to walk a solitary camino, and walked alone out of Seville the first day. The Backpacker hostel is a popular starting point in Seville if you would like to increase chances of meeting others.
I met a lady about 3/4 of the way to the first town Guillena when the rain and sleet and wind and overflowing stream occurred. Surprisingly, we ended up being 8 pilgrims that evening at the one albergue. I made a large batch of soup and we all moved on pretty.much together the rest of the camino.
The stages are long so there are few options to stay in between stages as there are on the Frances. I'm also a very slow walker, but managed to remain part of this lose group since we always stayed in same albergue as there are not many opened.
Several times, on very long 30km stages I would take a taxi part way or hop on a bus when possible to shorten the distance.
I always felt safe. I suggest that you carry a cell phone and have data service. Download Gpx tracks that you can follow, even though trail is well marked. Carry lots of water and food as there are few places in between towns.
You will meet whoever you are meant to meet. Go without fear and enjoy.
The landscapes and villages are more rural. You walk through farms with grazing cows, sheep, and pigs. Ballota trees, a type of oak with acorns used as food for pigs are abundant. The locals are welcoming and friendly. The Roman architecture is stupendous.
Temperatures varied from very hot 90F on shadeless stretches to cold in higher elevations. I found a cheap umbrella that was very helpful for sun protection.
You can read about my camino in my fb psge Rosa's Journey for my daily posts during that time.
Buen Camino
Rosa
This is such a positive and encouraging reply Rosa TT - I feel much better and this path doesn't feel too far out of my comfort zone now.
It's doable !! Yay.
Sounds like you had some interesting moments - thanks for sharing and I have started following your Facebook page - wow! So much to see!
I have downloaded wise pilgrim and via de la plata apps as guides for now to use for planning. I want to avoid carrying books or paper where possible.
Thanks again see you in the comments sections of your FB posts :)

If you walk just after Easter you will find many pilgrims ,not necessarily to walk with during the day but surely to mingle with in the afternoon and evening.
Walked in 2012 and thought ,well I can cross the VdlP off my list but walked again last year and loved it. Of course I did walk the first half with a friend which did make a difference.However walked the Sanabrese on my own and no problem. I'm sure you will love it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you walk just after Easter you will find many pilgrims ,not necessarily to walk with during the day but surely to mingle with in the afternoon and evening.
Walked in 2012 and thought ,well I can cross the VdlP off my list but walked again last year and loved it. Of course I did walk the first half with a friend which did make a difference.However walked the Sanabrese on my own and no problem. I'm sure you will love it.
Thanks - into the planning now - mid March into April is a go.

Nothing major really, a few/lots of lose dogs on the first stage out of Seville but we got to an agreement - You don't bite me, I don't kick/hit you. The next time, I would perhaps take the way via Camas, but really, the route alongside the river is fine also.
Buen Camino, SY
I thought it was beautiful the only thing was passing that dog kennel, 5 where out and came at me barking so I went too early to the left but I corrected it later by walking through the field a bit. Besides that I loved the first day walking again really really much and then I came at the albergue and the woman, Pilar, she was very friendly. Grazias Sant Iago :)

I thought it was beautiful the only thing was passing that dog kennel, 5 where out and came at me barking so I went too early to the left but I corrected it later by walking through the field a bit. Besides that I loved the first day walking again really really much and then I came at the albergue and the woman, Pilar, she was very friendly. Grazias Sant Iago :)
I had same wonderful first day experience, despite the dogs. I also visited the San Isidoros monestary and the Italica ruins along the way. I even had to ford the stream. And yes, Pilar is a welcoming sweetheart at the end of a first day.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back