• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata weather - advice

Roops

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (Summer 2017)
Camino a Finisterre (Summer 2018)
Camino de la Plata (April 2019)
Hi everyone,

Starting to plan my first stage of the Via de la Plata for next year (thanks for all the good advice so far) and just wanted to ask for advice for something that was concerning me. In regards to the weather on this route I understand the summer months can be very hot and so the spring or autumnal months are the most recommended. As a result I was planning on my first two week stage in April as a lot of walkers suggest this to be the ideal time. However when I look at various weather websites they seem to suggest April is wet and cool. What are most people's experience of the beginning stages of the Via de la Plata in April? Is the weather ok or is it very wet and cold?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This year it was very wet and very cold!

Yes, this year I started out in Seville on 25 April and it was overcast and cool up to Sanabria, when it started to rain and kept raining, and cold, all the way to Santiago. Last year on the Via de la Plata my friend started in Sevilla in the second week of April and it was hot and sunny until Galicia, when it became very cold (but still dry).

You can't predict from one year to the next.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, this year I started out in Seville on 25 April and it was overcast and cool up to Sanabria, when it started to rain and kept raining, and cold, all the way to Santiago. Last year on the Via de la Plata my friend started in Sevilla in the second week of April and it was hot and sunny until Galicia, when it became very cold (but still dry).

You can't predict from one year to the next.

Thank you Margaret and Kanga. Hmm that is a tricky one. After last year on the Del Norte I was hoping to pack really light for the de la Plata but it seems this just won't be the case as the weather might be cold, hot, wet or dry. I'll now research some packing tips for the de la Plata in that case!

I began in Seville on April 6, 2017. The weather was dry and hot to start, dry and cold for a few days after Salamanca, dry and for the most part pleasant after that (one or two days with steady rain). My pack list was identical to what I carried on the Frances in Sep/Oct 2015. I used everything I had and didn't want for anything I wasn't carrying. The three season sleeping bag was useful on both Camino's.
I hope this helps. Enjoy the planning.

Pack for warm weather.....it will be cool. Pack for cool weather.... it will be warm. So just pack what you want. BC

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After last year on the Del Norte I was hoping to pack really light for the de la Plata but it seems this just won't be the case as the weather might be cold, hot, wet or dry. I'll now research some packing tips for the de la Plata in that case!

Pilgrims who adhered to the one-on-one-off rule on the VdlP/Sanabres this Spring found that they were often setting out in clothes that were still wet the following morning. I was glad I had brought a third set.

I managed @Paladina. Set of clean, dry clothes goes on after my shower in the afternoon. The other set gets washed, squeezed as dry as possible in my microfibre towel, and have 24 hours to dry. If I have a bottom bunk (which is usual) I hang them from the slats of the bunk above, over my bed. The human body generates a lot of heat! It is not often that the hanging clothes are not dry by the morning, but if they are not they go into a mesh pocket on the outside of my backpack, which is covered by my Altus if it is still raining.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I managed @Paladina. Set of clean, dry clothes goes on after my shower in the afternoon. The other set gets washed, squeezed as dry as possible in my microfibre towel, and have 24 hours to dry. If I have a bottom bunk (which is usual) I hang them from the slats of the bunk above, over my bed. The human body generates a lot of heat! It is not often that the hanging clothes are not dry by the morning, but if they are not they go into a mesh pocket on the outside of my backpack, which is covered by my Altus if it is still raining.

I’m glad you managed, Kanga, but this human body didn’t generate enough heat by day or night. Normally I attach my wet underwear (discreetly) to the rear carrier on my bike and let it dry al fresco, but that rarely worked this year. Terrific drying weather in Muxia today!

I walked from Sevilla 15. January 2016 and arrived Santiago after six weeks. I had 3 days of rain. The temperature was around 10 degrees. Perfect weather for a Norwegian to walk in. I had an ekstra warm and light jacket to use in the afternoon. Some nights I had to sleep in it also. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,

Starting to plan my first stage of the Via de la Plata for next year (thanks for all the good advice so far) and just wanted to ask for advice for something that was concerning me. In regards to the weather on this route I understand the summer months can be very hot and so the spring or autumnal months are the most recommended. As a result I was planning on my first two week stage in April as a lot of walkers suggest this to be the ideal time. However when I look at various weather websites they seem to suggest April is wet and cool. What are most people's experience of the beginning stages of the Via de la Plata in April? Is the weather ok or is it very wet and cold?
Being from the UK, even the winter seems warm from Seville to Merida

You can check out historical temperatures by month on Weather Spark.

Here's the graph for Sevilla in September.

View attachment 124745
Thank you so much for posting that and good luck with your Camino! Blimey I didn’t know it was that hot! Planning to start 03rd Sept which I know may not be yet the smartest move but may try and start the days early! When I did my first Camino (Frances) in August I had a Motto ‘20km by 10am’ which may be prudent this time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola @Chef66
Spanish weather, like just about everywhere else is not overly predicable - yes starting from Seville in September I would agree it is more likely to be warm to hot. But by the time you turn the corner at Zamora and start heading into the hills/mountains of Galicia you can expect rain two or three days per week. If you are there in mid to late October then you might even see snow. So the best advice I can offer - come prepared. If its hot (say over 35ç/95F) start walking early in the morning and try to rest during the heat of the day. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back