• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata - which part?

Sofia

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Madrid
Hi all! I am planning to walk the via de la plata in May though will only have enough time to do part of it... i reckon I can make 500km, that's about half of it, and thus I'm wondering which part would be the best? should I start at the beginning, the middle or somewhere in-between? (btw walking into santiago is not important)

what is the environment like in the different parts? is there albergues along the way?

Best wishes,

Sofia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3 places you don't want to miss. Seviila, Merida and Zamora. Maybe slightly more than 500 km. Closer to 600 km.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all! I am planning to walk the via de la plata in May though will only have enough time to do part of it... i reckon I can make 500km, that's about half of it, and thus I'm wondering which part would be the best? should I start at the beginning, the middle or somewhere in-between? (btw walking into santiago is not important)

what is the environment like in the different parts? is there albergues along the way?

Best wishes,

Sofia
Hi Sofia,
I plan to walk the complete route to Santiago starting in Seville on 24th May 2016.

Brian

Best wishes,

Sofia
Mérida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora - though unfortunately that omits Zafra.

Best wishes,

Sofia
I have walked it 3 times pus the Mozarabe, my answer is very simple start at the beginning in Seville, that allows you freedom for the future to easily continue where you have finished. There is beauty in it all enjoy an amazing journey, if you have any further questions just pm me or serch this excellet forum. if you want to get a pictorial view what is in store you can have a look at this http://dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/2016/03/via-de-la-plata-february-1-to-february.html and http://dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/2014/04/via-de-la-plata-2014-photographs-work.html

Regards Dermot (Nalod)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Best wishes,

Sofia

Sofia
There are plenty Albergues along the way. The vdlp has only about 5% of pilgrims compared to the Northern Camino. It is relatively quiet. There is no correct answer to your other question about where to start. I would certainly start at the beginning in Seville for a number of reasons.
(1) If you really like the Vdlp, you will want to come back another time to finish it.
(2) Heat is an important factor. If you like heat, then, again, start in Seville. If you intensively dislike heat, then you have no choice (in May) but to do the last 500 klm. The first 500klm is much hotter than the last 500 klm, Seville temperatures in May 2015 were: May 11th 35c, May 12th 38c, May 13th 41c, May 14th 39c. The first few hundred kilometres are very hot. Most people would find these temperatures difficult, if not impossible on the Camino. But 2015 was exceptionally hot, even by local standards.
(3) There are some beautiful cities / towns if you start at the beginning in Seville. (Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora).
(4) I am about half way, I go back in May to do another section. I have found the first half of the vdlp to be fantastic.
Buen Camino
Dave

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back