• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

via de la plata

Walkerbabe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2018
I am planning my first camino for next spring. Via de la plata came highly recommended as a camino with little ashphalt, beauty and fewer pilgrims.
Any other qualities or disadvantages of this camino would be appreciated.
we will be starting just west of madrid

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I am a bit confused - the Via de la Plata starts in Sevilla and goes up north, not anyway near the Madrid route. Also, the Via does have some asphalt/tarmac walking plus the occasional 30+km stage with nothing much in between. Also speaking some Spanish on this route is a good idea.

Buen Camino, SY

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I am a bit confused - the Via de la Plata starts in Sevilla and goes up north, not anyway near the Madrid route. Also, the Via does have some asphalt/tarmac walking plus the occasional 30+km stage with nothing much in between. Also speaking some Spanish on this route is a good idea.

Buen Camino, SY

Confused here as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please anyone correct me here - I am comparing with Frances, Norte and Primitivo but have only done as far as Villafranca de los Barros on the Plata so far:

Advantages: quiet, feels quite adventurous, not touristy or full of noisy guided groups. Towns are very unspoilt and people very welcoming. Some navigational challenges and lack of crowds mean you don't just walk like a sheep on the path and follow others - you have to make an effort.

Disadvantages: more or less fixed stages means an almost total lack of flexibility. Some stages are long. Weather can be massively hot in summer (look up the stats), but in Spring and Autumn can also be very hot but it doesn't get light early enough to make really early starts to avoid the heat possible - so you can end up struggling to do the distance in the heat of the day. (Navigating in the dark is HARD on the Plata - I tried it.) Nobody outside major towns speaks English. Like really nobody. The fixed stages mean if you take a rest day you lose your buddies and may not see them again. More loose dogs and livestock than on the Frances. Possible unbridged creeks when it has been raining mean you may need to wade or take a long detour.

So I would say make your choice based on your previous walking experience. If you have not really hiked in remote areas I would not do the Plata as a first camino.

Last edited:
I am heading off to VdlP in a few weeks and have been able to tweak my etapas to keep them in the low twenty range, or less, 90% of the time. I will taxi two days to chew off some 10 km from 30km days, bit that's only necessary twice between Sevilla and Salamanca.

I expect quiet days walking in my on with other pilgrims walking into albergues at the end of the day and shared meals then. I am going earlish in the year so I am hoping for high 20sC on the warmest days. I expect not having many second breakfasts, and having to pack snacks for the first time ever in 7 Caminos. I will be nervous about water as I am no camel and drink a lot of water even back home sitting behind a desk at work.

I expect not to have to motivate myself to walk 20 mote steps "to that rock" to then huff and puff catching my breath as I go up hills as on the Primitivo. I expect to see pigs! And blooming plants as I move North. I expect few church visits, lots of Arabic-based town names and Roman ruins.

Sure - take salty almonds and a second water bottle just in case yours leaks. There are very few fountains but if you need water urgently ask at any house or even flag down a car. People in this region know how dangerous it can be to run out.

You will see many pigs, goats, dogs, white towns, tons of cork oaks, and you will talk about ham a lot. I had conversations of more than 1 hour about ham. There is a very serious municipal museum of ham and be sure to read all the displays diligently so you can have more in depth ham conversations. You cannot know too much about ham. Be sure to read up the difference between Iberico and Serrano before you go, or you may make a social gaffe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ham!!! Yum!!! And a great go-to when on WW! :eek: Did you know there's a ham museum in Madrid near the Prado as well?

Serrano=generic. Iberico=better and $. Pata Negra = gone to heavenand flr a second mortgage. Yes?

Thank you for the water tip. Will bring my bladder as back up on top of my Smartube.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Via De La Plata is great as there are very little pilgrims as previously mentioned. You can also always be sure of finding accommodation. There is quite a bit of tar and distances are quite long. We cycled from Caceres to Zamora in September 2017. You can read my blog on http://www.campsbayapartments.com/camino/viadelaplata if you are interested.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back