• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

via de la Plata

jaydee

Hi

I am planning to start the VDLP at the end of May. What sort of sleeping bag is recommended for use over the next 6 weeks to Santiago?

Thanks

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
John Faller said:
I am planning to start the VDLP at the end of May.

And I am sure you are enjoying your planning - and wish you well for a wonderful pilgrimage!

John Faller said:
What sort of sleeping bag is recommended for use over the next 6 weeks to Santiago?

Alas, this is not as simple a question as it sounds! What sort of accommodation are you planning to use? Could you bear one or two chilly nights when you have to wear all your clothes? How much weight are you planning to carry on your back? ..... use 'search' to discover many opinions on this topic!!

Good luck!

Last year I was on the vdlp in june and some days were bloody cold! In Castro Dozon (about 800 metres) people slept in their sleeping bags and clothes with a blanket over them-those who missed out on the blankets had a sleepless night. I recall at least 2 albergues where they lit the open fires because it was so cold.I used a Snugpak travellite-about 900 gr which was adequate.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks omar504 - you have put my mind at rest. Someone suggested that a sleeping bag liner would be sufficient! Now I know.

I know some of us tolerate the cold better than others. I am one of the others. I was cold many times on the Via last year in May, June and early July. One night it snowed on the mountain in front of the albergue and during the day it was soooo windy, that I wrapped my sarong around my head and neck. Layers is the key. Be prepared for anything.
Lillian

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back