Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

via de la Plata

jaydee

Hi

I am planning to start the VDLP at the end of May. What sort of sleeping bag is recommended for use over the next 6 weeks to Santiago?

Thanks

John

Bridget and Peter

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
John Faller said:
I am planning to start the VDLP at the end of May.

And I am sure you are enjoying your planning - and wish you well for a wonderful pilgrimage!

John Faller said:
What sort of sleeping bag is recommended for use over the next 6 weeks to Santiago?

Alas, this is not as simple a question as it sounds! What sort of accommodation are you planning to use? Could you bear one or two chilly nights when you have to wear all your clothes? How much weight are you planning to carry on your back? ..... use 'search' to discover many opinions on this topic!!

Good luck!

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
Last year I was on the vdlp in june and some days were bloody cold! In Castro Dozon (about 800 metres) people slept in their sleeping bags and clothes with a blanket over them-those who missed out on the blankets had a sleepless night. I recall at least 2 albergues where they lit the open fires because it was so cold.I used a Snugpak travellite-about 900 gr which was adequate.

jaydee

Thanks omar504 - you have put my mind at rest. Someone suggested that a sleeping bag liner would be sufficient! Now I know.

MermaidLilli

I know some of us tolerate the cold better than others. I am one of the others. I was cold many times on the Via last year in May, June and early July. One night it snowed on the mountain in front of the albergue and during the day it was soooo windy, that I wrapped my sarong around my head and neck. Layers is the key. Be prepared for anything.
Lillian

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts