• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via De La Plata

migz

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Pilgrims, I am setting out from Sevilla on VDLP on 21st March 2020. Wondering if you can offer any advice about the best / cheapest travel insurance for the trip? And any other tips as I am a Camino virgin at the moment!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Pilgrims, I am setting out from Sevilla on VDLP on 21st March 2020. Wondering if you can offer any advice about the best / cheapest travel insurance for the trip? And any other tips as I am a Camino virgin at the moment!!
If you are asking for recommendations about travel insurance it would be helpful for you to say what your home country is. That makes a huge difference.

Thank you. I from England UK. And I probably should have said Travel / health insurance. I am not familiar with this stuff at all! And also am wondering how well signposted VDLP is if you can help with this too. Am hoping I can just walk and don't need to engage my brain too much following maps and GPS stuff!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. I from England UK. And I probably should have said Travel / health insurance. I am not familiar with this stuff at all! And also am wondering how well signposted VDLP is if you can help with this too. Am hoping I can just walk and don't need to engage my brain too much following maps and GPS stuff!
I am also in the UK. I usually buy an annual travel insurance policy which covers me for multiple journeys each year. One important thing is to check that the duration of cover for each individual trip is long enough. Often the default is 28 or 30 days. Often cheaper than a single trip policy for a longer duration. You can search for quotes on the big comparison sites like comparethemarket.com.

I have walked the VdlP and I found that it was pretty well marked. Enough to make it pretty straightforward except in bigger towns where it is quite easy to lose sight of the arrows. But that is true on other routes too :cool:

If you are a UK citizen (or a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland) you should also get an EHIC *(European Health Insurance Card). It entitles you to state healthcare within the EEA and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free. This is not a replacement for a travel insurance policy, but it's worth having IMHO:

For UK citizens, EHIC might not be valid from 1 January 2021.

If you are a UK citizen (or a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland) you should also get an EHIC *(European Health Insurance Card). It entitles you to state healthcare within the EEA and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free. This is not a replacement for a travel insurance policy, but it's worth having IMHO:

Thank you. I will have a look.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am also in the UK. I usually buy an annual travel insurance policy which covers me for multiple journeys each year. One important thing is to check that the duration of cover for each individual trip is long enough. Often the default is 28 or 30 days. Often cheaper than a single trip policy for a longer duration. You can search for quotes on the big comparison sites like comparethemarket.com.

I have walked the VdlP and I found that it was pretty well marked. Enough to make it pretty straightforward except in bigger towns where it is quite easy to lose sight of the arrows. But that is true on other routes too :cool:
Thank you. This is helpful and reassuring.

I’ve found LV to be very good, i take out an annual policy and am into my second year running with them, for the premium policy it covers me for up to a 90 day trip (within Europe), i think the standard only covers up to 30 days per trip.

Yes definitely get your EHIC card i think you can apply online. As mentioned above it may not be valid after January 2021.

And, buen camino!

Buen Camino Pilgrim!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Can I get one of these as an American who is has the heart of a European and really loves French and Italian food?????????

Hope you post about your Camino. I would love to hear about it as I will walk about the same time next year. (I will probably start earlier then March 21st though. Know it may be a little busier due to it being a holy year but who knows how much. Love to hear your albergue recommendations and weather, although I know that accurate weather forecasts can only be counted on when you look at yesterday's weather. Any other cool or memorable moments meals etc would be appreciated. Buen Camino and stay healthy.

Hope you post about your Camino. I would love to hear about it as I will walk about the same time next year. (I will probably start earlier then March 21st though. Know it may be a little busier due to it being a holy year but who knows how much. Love to hear your albergue recommendations and weather, although I know that accurate weather forecasts can only be counted on when you look at yesterday's weather. Any other cool or memorable moments meals etc would be appreciated. Buen Camino and stay healthy.
Thank you. I aim to upload a daily vlog to my Face Book page. But want to minimise my use of tech as much as possible. So I doubt I will post here as I go. Though I also aim to make a video from my vlogs on my return.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can I get one of these as an American who is has the heart of a European and really loves French and Italian food?????????
Sure. But you must acquire citizenship of an EEA country or Switzerland and give the European back their heart.

There's a blog called Bed Bugs and Blisters written by my British friend Mark Knowlton. It's about a group of Brit pilgrims trekking the Vdlp over the course of several years. They began in Seville and will make it to Santiago the end of this April.

My cousin and I did the complete 1007 km in 39 days.

Google it it and read all the stuff Mark details. You'll enjoy it.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back