• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Via de la Plata

ggtree

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis June 2018
I am on day 6 of walking Via de la Plata and have only seen two pilgrims, two delightful men from Spain. Are there any other pilgrims out here? I’m loving it! This is my third Camino and so far the best. BTW I am walking solo, single older female.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am on day 6 of walking Via de la Plata and have only seen two pilgrims, two delightful men from Spain. Are there any other pilgrims out here? I’m loving it! This is my third Camino and so far the best. BTW I am walking solo, single older female.

I sure wouldn’t mind if you posted pics and a somewhat daily summary of: path, albergues, sights, et cetera.

Buen camino.

here are a couple of pictures. First, the first Camino marker at the Cathedral in Seville.Next, the Camino just before Santiponce. Thank you Iver for asking me to post pics. I would be happy to post some as I go if you like. Thanks -Gigi

Attachments

• 471227C0-532B-4925-85EA-A4220D73617C.jpeg
    471227C0-532B-4925-85EA-A4220D73617C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • 623AE6C7-4F11-4E10-9969-8079CE0AF394.jpeg
    623AE6C7-4F11-4E10-9969-8079CE0AF394.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 184
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, please do post some pics along the way Ggtree, if you get a chance. I want to do the Plata too and it would be good to have some idea of what it's like, to see it through your eyes..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
feeling nostalgic... I was there 4 years ago and goes I wish I was there now! I walk every year at this time... my heart aches to not be walking now! Have a wonderful time! it really is a beautiful walk ❤

I sure wouldn’t mind if you posted pics and a somewhat daily summary of: path, albergues, sights, et cetera.

Buen camino.
I second this request especially albergues, cleanliness etc. I am very fine with simple accommodations. A bed, shower and clean space makes me a happy pilgrim indeed. A little summery of your day's walk would also help alot too. I hope to be walking as soon as possible next year. Stay safe and healthy.

Ah Gigi, the Via de la Plata is my favourite trek so far. I’m envious.

I am enjoying it so much. I had planned this Camino for June but...kept putting if 2 weeks at a time. Finally on September 11 I was allowed in Spain so here I am.

-Gigi
I did the Via de la Plata some time ago and I am wondering if you have past a small stream were a metal bar serve has a bridge?
No I haven’t. Where is it near?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
feeling nostalgic... I was there 4 years ago and goes I wish I was there now! I walk every year at this time... my heart aches to not be walking now! Have a wonderful time! it really is a beautiful walk ❤
Yes, I am enjoying it very much. But, it is empty. Several times now I have been the only guest in the Hotel / Albergue. -Gigi

I am enjoying it so much. I had planned this Camino for June but...kept putting if 2 weeks at a time. Finally on September 11 I was allowed in Spain so here I am.

-Gigi

I do not remember. It must be in the first 2 weeks of walking. The stream must be 2 to 3 meters wide and a 10 to 12 cm metal bar cross the stream.

I remember a lady that simply refused to continue walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I second this request especially albergues, cleanliness etc. I am very fine with simple accommodations. A bed, shower and clean space makes me a happy pilgrim indeed. A little summery of your day's walk would also help alot too. I hope to be walking as soon as possible next year. Stay safe and healthy.

I am finding most Albergues either closed for the season or never were able to open. Those that are open are only renting the single rooms which is fine with me. However, I have been the only pilgrim every night except for two nights ago. The Albergue has two rooms and the other was occupied by two older gentlemen from Spain. Other than that I have seen no Pilgrims on the Camino. I’m all alone.

Attachments

• 6E6ECF05-2AD3-44D1-9AEF-863FF923CFCA.jpeg
    6E6ECF05-2AD3-44D1-9AEF-863FF923CFCA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • BF3C163A-66B8-40B6-AA99-CA4B6A4EC645.jpeg
    BF3C163A-66B8-40B6-AA99-CA4B6A4EC645.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 84
  • 28637CED-08C8-4340-BE6F-E2BE95A2AFB3.jpeg
    28637CED-08C8-4340-BE6F-E2BE95A2AFB3.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 81
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am finding most Albergues either closed for the season or never were able to open. Those that are open are only renting the single rooms which is fine with me. However, I have been the only pilgrim every night except for two nights ago. The Albergue has two rooms and the other was occupied by two older gentlemen from Spain. Other than that I have seen no Pilgrims on the Camino. I’m all alone.
thanks for the update and the photos. I was checking the weather and it looks like that you have pretty nice weather coming up. Not too hot like it can be at this time of the year.

Enjoy your walk, this lonely lovely Camino is loved by many of us for it's quiet contemplative stretches. While you may not see many pilgrims rest assured we are with you as you old along iin our well worn foot steps we will be following yours.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

-Gigi

It's the Arroyo des Molinos, on the second day of walking. It dries up in summer so you would not have noticed it.

here are a couple of pictures. First, the first Camino marker at the Cathedral in Seville.Next, the Camino just before Santiponce. Thank you Iver for asking me to post pics. I would be happy to post some as I go if you like. Thanks -Gigi

Hi Gigi,

Thank you very much for your post and photos. I have been dreaming about this walk on Via de la Plata, but at the moment I cannot even leave my neighbourhood here in Melbourne. But, I have look at your photos, then close my eyes and start dreaming.

Buen Camino.

Laszlo

I
thanks for the update and the photos. I was checking the weather and it looks like that you have pretty nice weather coming up. Not too hot like it can be at this time of the year.
I’ve had cloudy skies several days, two days with rain and one of those days where it hailed for about 15 minutes. I took shelter under someone’s front porch. -Gigi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Gigi, Thankyou for your updates and photos!
I will be starting this Camino hopefully next week.
I edited my original post as I see that you had already answered my query to bringing a tent and finding Albergues open and see in your reply to forum member It56ny that you so far have not experienced any problem of finding accomodation which is great to know, I am so looking forward to my 4th Camino after completing the French, Northern and Portuguese Way's, stay safe and sound Gigi,
Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
Actually, what I recommend is a rain coat. I have had no trouble finding hotel rooms or B’nB’s. It is only the Albergues that are closed. Some of the private ones with private rooms are open but plan to stay in hotels. Buen Camino.

Gigi, thanks for the reply and I actually prefer a umbrella than raincoat personally as have a cover for the backpack.
I was hoping the Pilgrim (budget friendly and preferable to me for communual evenings) Albergues rather than hotels to be honest but will go with the flow once started, cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I

I’ve had cloudy skies several days, two days with rain and one of those days where it hailed for about 15 minutes. I took shelter under someone’s front porch. -Gigi
Personally for me I would take rain over those really hot September days in Southern Spain any day! Hail any time of the year isn't much fun for sure.

Hi Gigi, sorry you’re on your own there, but many with you in spirit. I’ll follow your journey too, so please keep the photos and notes coming. Via de la Plata is high on my dream list too. I’ve done the Camino Frances from SJPdP and loved it. Besotted with Spain now. Stuck in Melbourne Oz, and life at the mo. I’ll get there. Buen Camino, Phil

Oh! I’m so envious! I would love to do this route so please keep us updated on your progress. I’m also a single, older woman and have been wondering how I would fare on the DLP. Buen Camino!🙂

€60,-
I was in Villafranca de los Barros yesterday overnight. Stumbled onto a wonderful old car and motorcycle museum. A must see if you go through this town. The museum is just opposite the south wall of the cathedral. I will attach a couple of pictures below but they do not do justice. Seriously, don’t miss this if you are in the town. On to Torremejia tomorrow then Merida the next. Loving this Camino. -Gigi

Attachments

• A6DDA89C-8FFE-4727-86C0-FED2E51C71F0.jpeg
    A6DDA89C-8FFE-4727-86C0-FED2E51C71F0.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 8AAA00F0-A65D-409C-BBCA-47BF89AA7124.jpeg
    8AAA00F0-A65D-409C-BBCA-47BF89AA7124.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 27E06D81-8D15-4974-B541-AB76F2AA98BA.jpeg
    27E06D81-8D15-4974-B541-AB76F2AA98BA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 38E196A2-83D6-47F0-A3F7-52AAB40178C5.jpeg
    38E196A2-83D6-47F0-A3F7-52AAB40178C5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • E3C76142-A96E-4D61-93A1-0D7D32BAFE33.jpeg
    E3C76142-A96E-4D61-93A1-0D7D32BAFE33.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 38
  • 2324822E-ACBE-468C-9E13-9E0892D3F0A1.jpeg
    2324822E-ACBE-468C-9E13-9E0892D3F0A1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
just returned from the VdP 4 weeks ago. I enjoy the long summer days and the heat doesn't bother me half as much as rain! Took me 39 days from Sevilla to SdC taking the Sanabres route. If that is your plan also let me know and I will share a couple noteworthy details. Buen Camino.
BTW: I met a total of 12!!! pilgrims he entire time.

Also envious. My wife and I stopped at Zafra in March when the lockdown occurred. We had to escape to an AirB&B in Caceres for four days...until we could book our flight back. We are dying to continue our VDLP from Zafra but looks like it will be a while before that happens...we are from the USA. We will live the Camino vicariously through your postings. Thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Currently in Mérida looking at all the old Roman structures. Absolutely amazing. Now, these are old. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• A2848E72-E7A0-408C-B3E4-2731EF1FF0F1.jpeg
    A2848E72-E7A0-408C-B3E4-2731EF1FF0F1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • E3DA5EDD-1E24-400E-A2E1-C276B13539A0.jpeg
    E3DA5EDD-1E24-400E-A2E1-C276B13539A0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 06F1F6DB-8D33-4417-AB05-4123BC1CF3B2.jpeg
    06F1F6DB-8D33-4417-AB05-4123BC1CF3B2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 5399B947-C143-47B5-AA41-E22EA85E7FE4.jpeg
    5399B947-C143-47B5-AA41-E22EA85E7FE4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 47F4FC7A-D0CB-4562-92FD-EBC61F2520CD.jpeg
    47F4FC7A-D0CB-4562-92FD-EBC61F2520CD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 49727ECF-3D10-44FF-9628-654E80DB124D.jpeg
    49727ECF-3D10-44FF-9628-654E80DB124D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back