Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Via de la Plata

Book your Bus ticket here

Momwiz

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
Myself and 2 family members are planning to walk from Ourense to Finisterra September 8 to about the 22nd. I have been in touch with a company to provide accommodations and transfers which is needed because we are walkers in our seventies. The company informed us that accommodations (not albergues)are scarce on this route due to Covid and that some changes will have to be made to our original itinerary. Has anyone walked that route so far in 2022 if so, would you agree? Are their cafes, bars along that route that we wouldn’t have to walk 20 miles before getting a coffee or something to eat?
Thanks!

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
Myself and 2 family members are planning to walk from Ourense to Finisterra September 8 to about the 22nd. I have been in touch with a company to provide accommodations and transfers which is needed because we are walkers in our seventies. The company informed us that accommodations (not albergues)are scarce on this route due to Covid and that some changes will have to be made to our original itinerary. Has anyone walked that route so far in 2022 if so, would you agree? Are their cafes, bars along that route that we wouldn’t have to walk 20 miles before getting a coffee or something to eat?
Thanks!
I have just walked Ourense to Santiago, walking into Santiago today. I wouldn’t agree that accommodation is scarce. As far as I can tell, only one accommodation option on this route is currently closed (the albergue in Castro/Dozón, and that’s for political reasons). For both accommodation and restaurants/bars etc, it was business as usual.

geraldkelly

Past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
I second what @jungleboy boy says, from Ourense to Santiago only Castro Dozon isn't open.

That said the company you're dealing with is probably not familiar with this Camino (most of their business would be on the Camino Francés) and the accommodation infrastructure is much less developed than there.

Regarding places to stop, cafés, etc. There's a fair few but nothing like what you'd get on the busier Caminos. You can get an idea by downloading the guide http://www.viadelaplataguide.net/

Another thing about this route is that it's quite hilly, especially that first day out of Ourense. You may find it tougher than you were expecting.

Gerald

cbacino

Past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte - Primitivo (2018)
Via Francigena (2017)
Appalachian Trail (2016)
Thanks!
I walked that section (May 18-23). I stayed only in albergues (no problems finding a bunk). Food was available, but I would recommend paying attention to where your next meal was coming from. I carried some emergency food (nuts, chocolate, etc) for times when bars were scarce or closed. Timing is also important. Most kitchens closed around 3:00-3:30 pm, reopening around 7:30-8:30 for dinner. BTW: I’m 70.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads