• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata

Momwiz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
Myself and 2 family members are planning to walk from Ourense to Finisterra September 8 to about the 22nd. I have been in touch with a company to provide accommodations and transfers which is needed because we are walkers in our seventies. The company informed us that accommodations (not albergues)are scarce on this route due to Covid and that some changes will have to be made to our original itinerary. Has anyone walked that route so far in 2022 if so, would you agree? Are their cafes, bars along that route that we wouldn’t have to walk 20 miles before getting a coffee or something to eat?
Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Myself and 2 family members are planning to walk from Ourense to Finisterra September 8 to about the 22nd. I have been in touch with a company to provide accommodations and transfers which is needed because we are walkers in our seventies. The company informed us that accommodations (not albergues)are scarce on this route due to Covid and that some changes will have to be made to our original itinerary. Has anyone walked that route so far in 2022 if so, would you agree? Are their cafes, bars along that route that we wouldn’t have to walk 20 miles before getting a coffee or something to eat?
Thanks!
I have just walked Ourense to Santiago, walking into Santiago today. I wouldn’t agree that accommodation is scarce. As far as I can tell, only one accommodation option on this route is currently closed (the albergue in Castro/Dozón, and that’s for political reasons). For both accommodation and restaurants/bars etc, it was business as usual.

I second what @jungleboy boy says, from Ourense to Santiago only Castro Dozon isn't open.

That said the company you're dealing with is probably not familiar with this Camino (most of their business would be on the Camino Francés) and the accommodation infrastructure is much less developed than there.

Regarding places to stop, cafés, etc. There's a fair few but nothing like what you'd get on the busier Caminos. You can get an idea by downloading the guide http://www.viadelaplataguide.net/

Another thing about this route is that it's quite hilly, especially that first day out of Ourense. You may find it tougher than you were expecting.

Gerald

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks!
I walked that section (May 18-23). I stayed only in albergues (no problems finding a bunk). Food was available, but I would recommend paying attention to where your next meal was coming from. I carried some emergency food (nuts, chocolate, etc) for times when bars were scarce or closed. Timing is also important. Most kitchens closed around 3:00-3:30 pm, reopening around 7:30-8:30 for dinner. BTW: I’m 70.

I have just walked Ourense to Santiago, walking into Santiago today. I wouldn’t agree that accommodation is scarce. As far as I can tell, only one accommodation option on this route is currently closed (the albergue in Castro/Dozón, and that’s for political reasons). For both accommodation and restaurants/bars etc, it was business as usual.
Thanks so much for your 'first hand' assessment. For someone walking early next year....such feedback is really appreciated!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back