• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de La Plata

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, are there any Australians in this Via group who have walked or are planning to walk this Camino from Seville?
I’m planning March/April.
Am not Australian but there are a few folks walking around that time including me (UK citizen) though my exact final dates are tbc!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all, are there any Australians in this Via group who have walked or are planning to walk this Camino from Seville?
Sure. I Live in Sydney and we walked the Via de la Plata in 2012, starting in April from Seville in 2012. What do you want to know?

Hi rainforestgirl. I am Australian and am planning on a mid April start from Seville. Nothing is certain yet and it may not happen but I am living in hope!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I live in Perth and have walked the Via three times, most recently this past April/May.
Let me know if I can help.
Would it be possible to have a chat about the VdlP. I'm waiting for Gerald Kelly's book (ordered 4 days ago) but am keen to start planning & would appreciate any advice/info you could offer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm from near Brisbane. I walked Seville to Salamanca in April/May this year, and will (hopefully) return to complete this pilgrimage in April/May 2023. Happy to try to answer any questions you have.

Would it be possible to have a chat about the VdlP. I'm waiting for Gerald Kelly's book (ordered 4 days ago) but am keen to start planning & would appreciate any advice/info you could offer.
I'm sure there are lots of people on the forum who have walked the Via and can offer advice. If you have specific questions just ask them.
I see you're a new member, does that mean this is your first Camino?

Hi, I walk April/May 2022, spring 🌼 started after the Easter rush. A completely different Camino, but most enjoyable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@rainforestgirl I walked the Via in 2018 and am considering it again in April 2023. I love this Camino but I won't have time to walk all the way from Seville to SDC, which is why I am hesitating. I don't like doing "bits" - continuous walking is my thing.

I have got as far as purchasing my tickets to Madrid from Sydney.

I'm from near Brisbane. I walked Seville to Salamanca in April/May this year, and will (hopefully) return to complete this pilgrimage in April/May 2023. Happy to try to answer any questions you have.
Thanks Graeme. I’m from the Sunny Coast. It would be great to have a chat about your walk to Salamanca. I’m waiting for Gerald Kelly’s book to arrive in the mail.

I'm sure there are lots of people on the forum who have walked the Via and can offer advice. If you have specific questions just ask them.
I see you're a new member, does that mean this is your first Camino?
I started walking Caminos 18 years ago & have walked several (8) including Catalan & French again…Barcelona to Finistere, 1300km.
I used to be on the Mundicamino forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started walking Caminos 18 years ago & have walked several (8) including Catalan & French again…Barcelona to Finistere, 1300km.
I used to be on the Mundicamino forum.
Wow, Mundicamino, that's a blast from the past!

Obviously you're an experienced hiker so you should be fine. The Via is quite challenging because of some long stages, lack of services, etc., but also because of its overall length.

I can send you links to download the guide in PDF format if you like. Just email me at caminoguidecontact@gmail.com

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Of course! Send me a DM and we can chat.
Heather

Wow, Mundicamino, that's a blast from the past!

Obviously you're an experienced hiker so you should be fine. The Via is quite challenging because of some long stages, lack of services, etc., but also because of its overall length.

I can send you links to download the guide in PDF format if you like. Just email me at caminoguidecontact@gmail.com
Hi Gerald, would you mind if I also emailed you as above, we are thinking of walking Merida to SDC in March'23. TIA

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After three years of postponement I have finally booked flights to Seville and will start the Via de la Plata late April. Very excited !
Good luck with your planning and buen camino

Congratulations on choosing to walk the VdlP! We hail from Coffs Harbour, are Camino addicts and walked from Seville to Santiago in October 2019 over 6 weeks. We posted a "live from the VdlP" which you should find on the forum. Don't be shy to ask any questions of any of us as we all love to share our knowledge. The VdlP can be solitary at times but I found it the most memorable and rewarding. My one strong suggestion is to not miss staying at the Donativo run by Father Blass at Fuentarroble de Salvatierra. Looking forward to following your travels.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations on choosing to walk the VdlP! We hail from Coffs Harbour, are Camino addicts and walked from Seville to Santiago in October 2019 over 6 weeks. We posted a "live from the VdlP" which you should find on the forum. Don't be shy to ask any questions of any of us as we all love to share our knowledge. The VdlP can be solitary at times but I found it the most memorable and rewarding. My one strong suggestion is to not miss staying at the Donativo run by Father Blass at Fuentarroble de Salvatierra. Looking forward to following your travels.
Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response. I've imagined for a few years that the Via would be a very special Camino...and can't wait.

Hi @rainforestgirl
I live in Sydney and walked VDLP/ Sanabres from Sevilla to Santiago 22 Sept - late Nov this year - 2022. It was my third Camino. I am a relaxed walker and took 8 weeks. It was a most wonderful and challenging Camino (but mainly wonderful) and I would love to walk it again.
I had lots of support from Forum members; one even followed my FindPenguins blog becoming a valued virtual support and mentor along the way. I’m happy to share a link to the blog if you are interested.
I took notes on accomodation and costs which I am putting in a spread sheet at the moment.
I used @geraldkelly ‘s guide, Gronze (mainly for accommodation- I only discovered all the other info later) and Camino Ninja - for the interactive map and the list of villages and towns which is easy to read. CaminonNinja is no longer in the App Store but I already had it downloaded and the map was still accurate.
Happy to share any other info.
Buen Camino.

I had lots of support from Forum members; one even followed my FindPenguins blog becoming a valued virtual support and mentor along the way. I’m happy to share a link to the blog if you are interested.
I will be walking the VdlP from Seville with my husband next year and would be interested to see your blog. We are from Western Australia and will try and walk slower stages. I’m also thinking of using FindPenguins so family and friends can follow our Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will be walking the VdlP from Seville with my husband next year and would be interested to see your blog. We are from Western Australia and will try and walk slower stages. I’m also thinking of using FindPenguins so family and friends can follow our Camino.

Have sent the link through private message. I had a couple of enthusiast followers which was nice as I was walking alone.

Hi @rainforestgirl - I'm from rural Yallingup, WA, and am fairly well advanced in plans for my wife and I to head out of Sevilla on 16th Sept next year, arriving in Santiago in early November. I'm mostly using @geraldkelly's guide and also @wisepilgrim and Gronze for our planning. You'll of course will be well finished before we start, so I cannot offer any advice, but can offer buen camino support. I'll follow your blog if you post one.

If you look at the "Starting in April 2023" thread here, you'll see several people starting the VDLP in April. The people starting in March can sign up here. Feel free to add a post with your date!
Hi Clare - is there a "Starting in September 2023" thread somewhere? I searched but couldn't find one (probably looking in the wrong place). Or maybe I'm a little premature. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
is there a "Starting in September 2023" thread somewhere? I searched but couldn't find one (probably looking in the wrong place). Or maybe I'm a little premature. Thanks.
No, you are probably looking in the right place - all the active monthly threads are listed here in the "Introduce yourself or say Hello" section. We have been posting them only about 6 months in advance, so there aren't too many threads that moderators need to manage.

Hey Rainforestgirl, I'm walking from Gibraltair and heading on through Seville May 2023. I will be packing a bit of sunscreen for this trip. I walked the Plata in 2018 I think I dont have my guidebook here at work but I have fond memories of the trip. Please sing out if you have questions.

Hi, we are from Sydney and plan to start from Sevilla on March 28th.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back