• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via del la Plata

SusanO

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago and planning on Via del la Plata
Hi, my husband and I are travelling from Australia and we have a spare couple of weeks beginning of February and are planning on walking the VdlP. We walked the full Camino de Santiago two years and absolutely loved it.
Unfortunately this time I haven’t been able to put in the planning. After some quick research we are thinking of starting from Merida. Was wondering how cold it will be (we did the Camino de Santiago end of Feb) are there an issue with Albergues being closed for winter and any Albergues recommended.
I also am not sure if it worthwhile buying the book, but probably will.
We thought we would catch a train/bus to Merida, is this doable and the best option. Open to suggestions if more experienced people think we should walk other sections. Really after the best choice for a 10-14 day walk.
Thanks so much
Cheers Sue

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Susan - fellow forum member Sara Dhooma did the Via de la Plata last year - she reaches Merida on Day 9, around 3 February, so you might find it very relevant! Her videos are really short, only a few minutes each, but it should give you an idea of which albergues and bars are open, what the weather might be like, etc! (Hope the link works ok)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, my husband and I are travelling from Australia and we have a spare couple of weeks beginning of February and are planning on walking the VdlP. We walked the full Camino de Santiago two years and absolutely loved it.
Unfortunately this time I haven’t been able to put in the planning. After some quick research we are thinking of starting from Merida. Was wondering how cold it will be (we did the Camino de Santiago end of Feb) are there an issue with Albergues being closed for winter and any Albergues recommended.
We thought we would catch a train/bus to Merida, is this doable and the best option. Open to suggestions if more experienced people think we should walk other sections. Really after the best choice for a 10-14 day walk.
Thanks so much
Cheers Sue
Hi Sue
Suggest you download Gronze.com and ensure it has the English translation enabled. It shows the route, places to stay, has reviews on many as well as phone numbers to call albergue etc. Works off satellites so you don’t need wifi.
I used it last year Seville to Salamanca and will do so in April when I walk from Salamanca to Santiago.
I don’t think you can walk Seville to Salamanca in the time you have so Merida is a good option.
Happymark

Hi Susan, I’m walking the Via Augusta (Cadiz to Seville 6.5 days) starting Feb 25th then continuing on the VDLP March 5th to Santiago. Perhaps my daily distance calendar might help you plan a bit. I only do 30-35km per day if absolutely necessary. Ultra-short days of 10-15 km are to allow half day for sightseeing or because the stage was more than 35km. The GRONZE website below shows each stage and below lists Albergues at each town. You can see what’s open. This is a private message. Buen Camino and ULTREIA

https://www.gronze.com/via-plata[/URL]

Attachments

• 63F5D22D-236C-4C83-B6EC-4E1C9C275F86.jpeg
    63F5D22D-236C-4C83-B6EC-4E1C9C275F86.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 8B10C1CA-5135-417D-8823-06363B5F93A7.jpeg
    8B10C1CA-5135-417D-8823-06363B5F93A7.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 71
The meseta in Salamanca can be COLD, as in really, really cold, you might want to consider doing Guillena-Mérida or even Guillena-Cáceres, you will find warmer weather. The difference in altitude is quite considerable once you leave the region of Extremadura and come to Castilla y León.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The meseta in Salamanca can be COLD, as in really, really cold, you might want to consider doing Guillena-Mérida or even Guillena-Cáceres, you will find warmer weather. The difference in altitude is quite considerable once you leave the region of Extremadura and come to Castilla y León.

@amancio I guess “cold” is relative to one’s country of origin LOL. I just returned from Ottawa Canada and it was -39C on Monday. Spain’s “cold” is a Canadian’s dream spring 🤣

Hi Susan, we are also Aussies beginning from Zamora vía Ourense on the Sanabrés on 8 February. It will be a little cold but my research suggests accommodation would be doable with only a couple of long days required to reach a bed for the night.
I believe @wildrover is doing this path currently so would have more up to date information. Buen camino whatever your chosen path.

Hi Sue
Suggest you download Gronze.com and ensure it has the English translation enabled. It shows the route, places to stay, has reviews on many as well as phone numbers to call albergue etc. Works off satellites so you don’t need wifi.
I used it last year Seville to Salamanca and will do so in April when I walk from Salamanca to Santiago.
I don’t think you can walk Seville to Salamanca in the time you have so Merida is a good option.
Happymark
As a slight digression Happymark, I am struggling to find how to download Gronze and access whatever parts can be accessed just using satellite not wifi.
Perhaps you could enlighten me?
Many thanks in advance Jen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Susan, we are also Aussies beginning from Zamora vía Ourense on the Sanabrés on 8 February. It will be a little cold but my research suggests accommodation would be doable with only a couple of long days required to reach a bed for the night.
I believe @wildrover is doing this path currently so would have more up to date information. Buen camino whatever your chosen path.

Jen I’d be interested in hearing your opinion after you walk through the hamlet of Riego del Camino. There’s a bar-cafe and a not so popular municipal,albergue and a country home for sale which was run as a donativo. I’ve condidered buying it to run as a donativo but every pilgrim says the hamlet has a negative atmosphere. It’s after Mntrmarte I think so I’m sure you’ll stop at the bar cafe. They say the owner is not very welcoming....let me know. Buen Camino. I’m there 1 month after you.,

Jen I’d be interested in hearing your opinion after you walk through the hamlet of Riego del Camino. There’s a bar-cafe and a not so popular municipal,albergue and a country home for sale which was run as a donativo. I’ve condidered buying it to run as a donativo but every pilgrim says the hamlet has a negative atmosphere. It’s after Mntrmarte I think so I’m sure you’ll stop at the bar cafe. They say the owner is not very welcoming....let me know. Buen Camino. I’m there 1 month after you.,

I will be happy to get back to you after Riego del Camino Colette. :)

Thanks so much
Cheers Sue
Thanks so much
Cheers Sue

How wonderful Sue. Only comment from me is to try to give yourself a day or two in Merida, a magical town. We arrived there at the end of the Camino Mozarabe, knowing little about the town. We loved every minute we spent there. Google will tell you the highlights. The little Parador hotel in Merida is charming and I recall not so expensive with the pilgrim discount. I know your time is short but you will not regret a day or two in Merida. Buen Camino

€60,-
@amancio I guess “cold” is relative to one’s country of origin LOL. I just returned from Ottawa Canada and it was -39C on Monday. Spain’s “cold” is a Canadian’s dream spring 🤣
indeed, it depends! I remember being in Extremadura on a T.shirt, then 2 hours later feeling very cold, and the following morning finding a massive frost, as in massively cold, 5 or 6 below zero (celsius), compared to the 24 degree the day before in Extremadura. It is full bloom spring in Extremadura one day, then late winter the next day as you climb to Salamanca.

Hi Susan, I’m walking the Via Augusta (Cadiz to Seville 6.5 days) starting Feb 25th then continuing on the VDLP March 5th to Santiago. Perhaps my daily distance calendar might help you plan a bit. I only do 30-35km per day if absolutely necessary. Ultra-short days of 10-15 km are to allow half day for sightseeing or because the stage was more than 35km. The GRONZE website below shows each stage and below lists Albergues at each town. You can see what’s open. This is a private message. Buen Camino and ULTREIA

https://www.gronze.com/via-plata[/URL]
Hi I am planing to start in Algeciras and would like to hear from your experiences since Inplan to follow up then from Cadiz towards Sevilla in April

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back