• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via della Plata from Cadiz

MarionW

Hi,

First of all, thanks so much for this very complete and useful website that i immediately added in my "favorites"!

I walked last month from Salamanca to Santiago, and i'm planning to walk again the via della plata in September, but starting from Cadiz. I get some information on various websites, but would like to hear from pilgrims who walked on this way. Are the "flechas amarillas" easy to follow on the way? Does it worth walking on this part, or is the camino along a motorway?

Many thanks,

Marion

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Marion, it was nice to read that you have already walked from Salamanca to Santiago. I have just had a look in Michelin maps and it seems its 130 km from Cadiz to Sevilla. Maps don't of course include pathways but it looks pretty built up and it would take you at least four days to walk it. From Sevilla the Camino is well marked. Just stand with your back to the Cathedral (La Giralda) by a busy street and you will see the first concha on the side of a building across the road. Sorry I can't help you with the first section!

Best of luck,

Kevin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the info. According to what i've read, it's actually 173km (about 6 days) from Cadiz to Sevilla, but compared with the 1000km left to Santiago, it should not be a big deal!
Maybe i could share some tips about this way when i will be back.
I'll remember to start back to the cathedral, and already look forward seeing the first concha!

Cheers,
Marion

William Marques said:
We travelled this way about 5 years ago. There were no markers then the old N-IV and the paths and small roads near it were what we used.

Thank you William, so the way will be easy to follow then.

Marion

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
bjorgts said:
Peter Robins says there is a guide - in spanish - and an organisation in Cadiz. http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes ... cadiz.html
I want to walk from Cadiz, so please tell us when you have been there.

Bjorg

Many thanks for the link Bjorg (hopefully my Spanish lessons will allow me to understand it correctly!)

I'm planning to start walking around mid September, but as it will be a sabbarical leave, i can't say now that i'll be able to leave as it will depend on several conditions which are not in my hands. Anyway i'll let you know, and if i can go, i'll try to post some information once in Sevilla, so that i could share it with you.

Marion

A friend who started from Cádiz (and completed a coast-to-coast walk by finishing at Finisterre) told me that the problem with the Cádiz-Sevilla section of the route is lack of inexpensive accommodation. There are no albergues or other pilgrim-friendly places to stay. He had to pay quite a lot for a bed on some nights.

http://aldernath.blogspot.com/

Good point there Aldernath. However there may be some useful info in the guide from the Amigos in Sevilla about places to stay. I was a bit surprised to see it was 170 km on the Camino route. Thats a good six days. If the Amigos have managed to find a route which keeps you at a reasonable distance from the motorway you will be walking through some beautiful Andalucian countryside, so that's something!

Best regards,

Kev

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
bjorgts said:
Peter Robins says there is a guide - in spanish - and an organisation in Cadiz. http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes ... cadiz.html
but rather curiously the two don't seem to be related. The Cadiz Amigos set up a website a couple of years ago, but it hasn't changed since, and contains no details on the route. In the meantime, the Seville Amigos have now published a guide, tho whether this is the same route, I'm not sure. If anyone uses the Seville guide, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Peter Robins said:
bjorgts said:
but rather curiously the two don't seem to be related. The Cadiz Amigos set up a website a couple of years ago, but it hasn't changed since, and contains no details on the route. In the meantime, the Seville Amigos have now published a guide, tho whether this is the same route, I'm not sure. If anyone uses the Seville guide, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I have contacted the Cadiz amigos in this regard, i'll keep you posted.

It turns out that i will go there sooner than expected, and will start walking around August 20th. It's definitely not the ideal period of the year, but no choice, unless some of you walked the via de la plata at the end of August and prevent me to do so.

I'll try to gather as much information as i can about the way from Cadiz to Sevilla.

Thanks
Marion

MarionW said:
Hi,

First of all, thanks so much for this very complete and useful website that i immediately added in my "favorites"!

I walked last month from Salamanca to Santiago, and i'm planning to walk again the via della plata in September, but starting from Cadiz. I get some information on various websites, but would like to hear from pilgrims who walked on this way. Are the "flechas amarillas" easy to follow on the way? Does it worth walking on this part, or is the camino along a motorway?

Many thanks,

Marion
hi marion I am going to walk from verin to santiago next week,I'm planning on taking my tent with me as I heard there isn't many albergues? Is this true-any advice for me?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Michelle, to me there is no need to carry a tent.
I checked on my credencial and here is the list of albergues I stayed in last year from Verin:
- Laza
- Xunqueira de Ambia
- Ourense
- Cea
- Lalin
- Ponte Ulla (not an albergue, a hotel with rooms that you can share). Don't think there is an albergue there, this is about 18/20 km from Santiago.

Most of these albergues ask you to pay EUR 3, they are usually clean and new with kitchen, and luxury on the camino, they give you fitted sheet and pillowcase :)

You can check this website out, in Spanish but you will have a list of all the albergues:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... /sanabres/

Let me know if you need more info.
Buen camino!!

Marion

Hi Michelle -

I have stayed in this albergue just beyond Ponte Ulla - it's very nice with lovely views of the surrounding countryside (which is to say you have to climb up to it!)

Best,
lynne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The albergue is excellent, at O Outreira, about 11 miles from Santiago. Last autumn a nearby restaurant delivered us dinner.

Andy

Hi there, MarionW. I walked from Cadiz to Santiago last year, beginning on 20 October, 2009. You will find notes, a few photos and my journal entries here on this forum, (Mozarabe/Via de la Plata page 2?) under ´Cadiz to Seville: day one.´ It took me 7 days to get to Seville. Cheers, Lovingkindness

hi again, MarionW. I forgot to mention, i used the Spanish guide, Cadiz to Sevile, published by the Seville Amigos de Santiago. Back in October when I set off from Cadiz , apart from a few greetings, I didn´t speak Spanish. I depended heavily on the yellwo arrows and on a few google maps of villages along the way. At times I had difficulty finding my way....but I got there in the end! Cheers, Lovingkindness

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Lovingkindness, thanks very much for your advice.
I can't access your notes, etc. Is there a link in your post?
Thanks again,
Marion

Hi there, MarionW. I´m not sure why you can´t access my notes. How about I add a little note to you at the bottom of ´Cadiz to Seville:day one´ ? That will make it reappear above your topic on page one. Cheers, Lovingkindness

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.