A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Via di Francesco

Camino(s) past & future
CF March/April 2015 - SJPdP to Santiago
Cam. Finisterre/Muxia August 2016
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
Like my other pilgrimages that I've done (Camino Frances and Camino Fatima), certain things happen in my life and I find myself finding a pilgrimage that seems to be calling me to go. Now I've stumbled upon the St. Francis way just recently and I am thinking of making that my next one. I will have approx. 2 weeks and would love to plan it around the feast of St. Francis Oct 4th next year 2019. I experienced being in Fatima for the centennial of the last apparition Oct 13th of last year and it was an experience I will never forget, so I like the idea of arriving in Assisi for whatever kind of celebration they may have for the feast day. I'm just learning about this pilgrimage from what I can tell it seems to have really become more organized and popular over the past couple of years. From what i'm reading on the web site and seeing there is a Cicerone guide book Way of St. Francis by Sandy Brown my assumption is that the infrastructure and markings are pretty well done now? I'm also assuming it would be much different than my camino de Santiago as far as the number of other pilgrims, maybe more like my Camino de Fatima as there were not many people walking from Porto to Fatima like I did . I would like to start in Florence and end in Assisi as I probably will have about 2 weeks of time for this. Would love to hear from others who have either done this pilgrimage or who are planning on doing it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have:)...

Camino(s) past & future
Plan Sept/Oct 2014
Like my other pilgrimages that I've done (Camino Frances and Camino Fatima), certain things happen in my life and I find myself finding a pilgrimage that seems to be calling me to go. Now I've stumbled upon the St. Francis way just recently and I am thinking of making that my next one. I will have approx. 2 weeks and would love to plan it around the feast of St. Francis Oct 4th next year 2019. I experienced being in Fatima for the centennial of the last apparition Oct 13th of last year and it was an experience I will never forget, so I like the idea of arriving in Assisi for whatever kind of celebration they may have for the feast day. I'm just learning about this pilgrimage from what I can tell it seems to have really become more organized and popular over the past couple of years. From what i'm reading on the web site and seeing there is a Cicerone guide book Way of St. Francis by Sandy Brown my assumption is that the infrastructure and markings are pretty well done now? I'm also assuming it would be much different than my camino de Santiago as far as the number of other pilgrims, maybe more like my Camino de Fatima as there were not many people walking from Porto to Fatima like I did . I would like to start in Florence and end in Assisi as I probably will have about 2 weeks of time for this. Would love to hear from others who have either done this pilgrimage or who are planning on doing it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have:)...
I, too, have an interest in doing this. Let’s continue to post what we have each discovered about this route. In the meantime, I will be ordering Cicerone’s guide today. Janet

Camino(s) past & future
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
Yes sounds good Janet, will continue to post anything else I discover and yes planning on ordering the guide also soon!
I, too, have an interest in doing this. Let’s continue to post what we have each discovered about this route. In the meantime, I will be ordering Cicerone’s guide today. Janet

aloarb53

Camino(s) past & future
Frances: SJPP to SdC (2011, 2012, 2013)
Primitivo (2018)
St. Frances Way (2019)
Yes sounds good Janet, will continue to post anything else I discover and yes planning on ordering the guide also soon!
Hello!
My husband and I will be on the way with you! We are leaving from Florence mid-September 2019 and will arrive in Assisi a day or two before October 4. My birthday is the 4th and for years it has been my dream to be in Assisi on the great Saint’s feast day. We will look for you on the way!!

Camino(s) past & future
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
Hello!
My husband and I will be on the way with you! We are leaving from Florence mid-September 2019 and will arrive in Assisi a day or two before October 4. My birthday is the 4th and for years it has been my dream to be in Assisi on the great Saint’s feast day. We will look for you on the way!!
Fantastic! That should definitely be a special birthday for you:). Would be great to keep in contact over this next year and share whatever we learn about the via di Francesco! I've done a few camino's now and am wondering if it will be similar as far as being able to just walk and find an Albergue (or similar like lodging)without having to pre-plan the days ahead...

edandjoan

Camino(s) past & future
St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
If our plans work out we will be walking in mid May 2019. I already have the Cicerone guide, it arrived a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if we will start n Florence, maybe La Verna. I am checking all my options.
I don't think we have to book accommodations ahead...maybe a day before like in France.

JohnMcK

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP to Naverette sept 14
finishing sept/oct 15
Hi
I did la verna to Rome this year this sept/oct. The route is reasonably well marked but having a GPS route is pretty essential as there are not that many pilgrims and it is easy to miss a way mark. Assisi is very busy and particularly round the saints feastday so make sure you have accommodation booked. We used the Sandy Brown book and it is reasonably good. However the accommodation info was not always uptodate and we met some Italian pilgrims with an Italian guide that had a whole lot more accommodation options, so worth shopping round for info. There are not Albergue type accommodation in all the towns and we used Booking .com a fair bit. It is a lovely walk but there is a lot of up and down and you always seem to end up having to walk up to your final destination.

Seabeggar

Camino(s) past & future
Mozarabe
Hi John, I am planning to start in La Verna next May, did you use public transport to get to La Verna? Any advice on how to get there appreciated.

JohnMcK

Camino(s) past & future
finishing sept/oct 15
Hi
we got a series of trains from Milan all in the one day all went well till just missed last train to Bibbiena and next train arrived too late to get bus to la Verna so stayed night in Bibbiena and got bus up in morning.
Milan- Bologna
Bologna- Prato
Prato- Florence
Florence-Arezzo
Arezzo- Bibbiena
6 hours and about 70 euro. We bought on the day so might be cheaper in advance and would be if you starting from Florence. The bus ran a few times during the day and we got conflicting info about there not being a bus from different websites but there is. We had booked the sanatorium at La Verna but weren't able to make due to missing the bus.
Hope this helps

Camino(s) past & future
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
Hi
I did la verna to Rome this year this sept/oct. The route is reasonably well marked but having a GPS route is pretty essential as there are not that many pilgrims and it is easy to miss a way mark. Assisi is very busy and particularly round the saints feastday so make sure you have accommodation booked. We used the Sandy Brown book and it is reasonably good. However the accommodation info was not always uptodate and we met some Italian pilgrims with an Italian guide that had a whole lot more accommodation options, so worth shopping round for info. There are not Albergue type accommodation in all the towns and we used Booking .com a fair bit. It is a lovely walk but there is a lot of up and down and you always seem to end up having to walk up to your final destination.
Hi John,
Couple of questions for you since I'm planning on walking from Florence to Assisi same time next year as you just did. I'd like to be in Assisi for the feast day in October. You said you used Sandy Brown's book did you follow his recommended stages if not how many days did it take you from la Verna to Assisi?
I planned my Fatima pilgrimage in Portugal last year to arrive in Fatima on the centennial day in October and as busy as it was, there was an Albergue that didn't take reservations but was only for pilgrims that showed there credentials proving they had walked so i stayed there cause it was right next to the Shrine rather than the accommodation I had booked ahead of time. Is there a something similar in Assisi a place that is open to walking pilgrims only? Also seems like most start in La Verna instead of Florence do you know why that is? Is it because of the walk from Florence is difficult or not marked well or maybe just to shorten the number of days? Thank you!

Camino(s) past & future
finishing sept/oct 15
Hi John,
Couple of questions for you since I'm planning on walking from Florence to Assisi same time next year as you just did. I'd like to be in Assisi for the feast day in October. You said you used Sandy Brown's book did you follow his recommended stages if not how many days did it take you from la Verna to Assisi?
I planned my Fatima pilgrimage in Portugal last year to arrive in Fatima on the centennial day in October and as busy as it was, there was an Albergue that didn't take reservations but was only for pilgrims that showed there credentials proving they had walked so i stayed there cause it was right next to the Shrine rather than the accommodation I had booked ahead of time. Is there a something similar in Assisi a place that is open to walking pilgrims only? Also seems like most start in La Verna instead of Florence do you know why that is? Is it because of the walk from Florence is difficult or not marked well or maybe just to shorten the number of days? Thank you!
Hi
I followed the stages in the sandy brown book to Assisi.
There was no dedicated hostel/albergue in Assisi so you need to book a guest house B+B.
We started

Camino(s) past & future
finishing sept/oct 15
in La Verna as the feedback seemed to be that the stages from Florence are not really part of any pilgrim route and are difficult days to start with as lot of slogging through the mountains.

Camino(s) past & future
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
in La Verna as the feedback seemed to be that the stages from Florence are not really part of any pilgrim route and are difficult days to start with as lot of slogging through the mountains.
Thanks for the info - appreciate it!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 191 24.3%