• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena - Besancon to Vercelli in June

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I am starting to think about phase 2 of my Via Francigena, from Besancon to Vercelli (or perhaps further).

If I start from Besancon in late May, what will the weather be like in Switzerland? Are snow falls still possible at that time of year? How about the ground cover of snow at higher altitudes?

I am trying to figure out if a May start is unusually crazy. I mean apart from the normal craziness that makes one undertake such a journey anyway.

Best wishes to everyone for Xmas and for 2013 - especially to those who will be walking somewhere over Christmas.

Bob M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We started from Lac Leman on the 14th June. There was still snow on the surrounding mountains. The trail to the Gr St Bernard was cleared that day - so lots of snow banks and mini glaciers on the streams and rivers. We had to abandon the path about 4km from the Col as most of it was under ice or snow.
We also had to abandon it the next day down into the Aosta Valley for the same reason.
Many people have written about unpredictable weather with sudden storms, high winds and torrential rain or snow - even in June. But, we had a beautiful warm, windless days.

Attachments

• Up here the snow never melts-tile.jpg
    Up here the snow never melts-tile.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 720
Thx for the info & pics. That says it all :)
But I am still attracted to the idea. Maybe a mid June start would be more sensible.

Bob M

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
BobM said:
If I start from Besancon in late May, what will the weather be like in Switzerland? Are snow falls still possible at that time of year? How about the ground cover of snow at higher altitudes?

I departed from the Col on 31 May this year, heading for Aosta. There was snow on the ground, but the road was clear. It started snowing shortly after I left, but there were no problems for me. I later learned from a Belgian pilgrim that the road became blocked that day and people were stranded, but only for a day.

Can one get by in Switzerland and Italy with English for making bookings? If not, is French any help in Switzerland?

I speak no Italian, so if English will not do, that's another language to learn.

Rgds

Bob M

BobM said:
Can one get by in Switzerland and Italy with English for making bookings? If not, is French any help in Switzerland?

I got by with English, French and Spanish, but didn't make any advance bookings, except through tourist offices.

A useful phrase when you knock on the door of a religious house in Italy:

"Sono pellegrino della via francigena. Posso dormir qui?"

I am a pilgrim on the via frangigena. May I sleep here.

Good luck!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
French is good in Switzerland, you only walk through the French part on the VF. WE didn't know Italian but got a few basic essential phrases. If we booked ahead we got the host of the place we stayed to do it - and they usually also enthusiasitcally negotiated a pilgrim discount for us while they were on the phone. Most hosts spoke enough English for us all to get by.

Most read last week in this forum

Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.