• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena del SUD: How much highway?

Lea Page

Between the Path and the Way: A 1000 Mile Journal
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
VF (2022)
Hi all,
I've been poring over the Via Francigena del Sud website, the stages, etc, and it looks like most of it is walking along highways. I wondered if any of you who have walked the route could give me an idea of what the path is like?
Many thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been poring over the Via Francigena del Sud website, the stages, etc, and it looks like most of it is walking along highways.
Despite that calling it "Francigena" is one of my pet peeves (it's a Via Romea route 100% in Italy and completely disconnected from France -- though it is also one section of one of the Jerusalem Way routes), it would seem not :

Get the mapy.cz app, download the offline maps (free !!), use outdoor mode and see for yourself.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try YouTube.

The route to and from Rome is very popular with Italians and there are lots videos about it where you can see the terrain.

Also I understand the official VF site organised a walk from Canterbury to Rome and beyond this year so should be up today’s information there.

Finally the route has its own organisation whose name escapes me. But they have been helpful in the past

Hi all,
I've been poring over the Via Francigena del Sud website, the stages, etc, and it looks like most of it is walking along highways. I wondered if any of you who have walked the route could give me an idea of what the path is like?
Many thanks.
This website? https://www.viefrancigenedelsud.it/en/ or this one https://www.viafrancigenasud.it/? One of which cheerfully informs that the route is more concept than track....

There are others, and yes, most indicate a direction of travel rather than a neatly way-marked route but hey, the destination is the destination. My inclination has always been to figure out where I'm trying to get to and then try to get there. All that said after poring over two websites; Google.earth; Maps.me and a diversion to http://italiantourism.com/ my suggestion, made in good heart, is go and see. If it really is to much highway you'll at least be able to catch a bus ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The "nel Sud" organisation is "Gruppo dei Dodici" and the accommodation list is here

There are video guides but could not get these to work. However if you go to YouTube (qv) where they have their own channel.

Have this route pre planned and was only able to do the end section (Bari/Greece) last year due to CV19 but it looks a really interesting route along the historic trails to the southern Italian ports (for Jerusalem)

If you stay in Rome try the Domus Sessoriana (attached to the Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme.)

(Then google Madonna and Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme 2011)

The "nel Sud" organisation is "Gruppo dei Dodici" and the accommodation list is here

There are video guides but could not get these to work. However if you go to YouTube (qv) where they have their own channel.

Have this route pre planned and was only able to do the end section (Bari/Greece) last year due to CV19 but it looks a really interesting route along the historic trails to the southern Italian ports (for Jerusalem)

If you stay in Rome try the Domus Sessoriana (attached to the Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme.)

(Then google Madonna and Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme 2011)
Thanks!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm going for it. Booked tickets starting in March. Woohoooo!
Here is a blog about a woman who walked on the Via Francigena del Sud from Rome to Santa Maria di Leuca, in Sept. and Oct., 2021. At least partially with an organized group and support, but it's quite detailed, although light on logistics and heavy on culture and history (which sounds wonderful).

I'm sure she'd be happy to answer your questions if you contact her.

Last edited:
Here is a blog about a woman who walked on the Via Francigena del Sud from Rome to Santa Maria di Leuca, in Sept. and Oct., 2021. At least partially with an organized group and support, but it's quite detailed, although light on logistics and heavy on culture and history (which sounds wonderful).

I'm sure she'd be happy to answer your questions if you contact her.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Lea
I walked from Rome too Maria di Leuca September 2020. You asked what the path is like. I would say, it’s a bit of everything, but walking along highways it is not. At the coast there are some steps along or on a big road.There is a lot asphalt, small roads, but also gravel road and paths.

It is maybe 50/50, but I don’t know. To be honest, I didn’t notice only when I walked in the suburban areas of bigger cities. I don’t mind asphalt.

I had a lovely walk, but ever for me, it was quite lonely. If you are prepared for that, you will get a experience of a lifetime. I did.

Have a nice trip, when you get so far.

Birgitte

Hey Lea
I walked from Rome too Maria di Leuca September 2020. You asked what the path is like. I would say, it’s a bit of everything, but walking along highways it is not. At the coast there are some steps along or on a big road.There is a lot asphalt, small roads, but also gravel road and paths.

It is maybe 50/50, but I don’t know. To be honest, I didn’t notice only when I walked in the suburban areas of bigger cities. I don’t mind asphalt.

I had a lovely walk, but ever for me, it was quite lonely. If you are prepared for that, you will get a experience of a lifetime. I did.

Have a nice trip, when you get so far.

Birgitte
Thank you, Birgitte. That's good to know. I don't mind asphalt, either. I am preparing for the lonely aspect--as much as I can. My husband will walk with me for the first two weeks and then I'll finish on my own. I actually prefer to walk alone-- but I know there will be long afternoons/evenings. I am a writer, so I am planning on bringing a project. Will see! I know that the best way to prepare is to not have too many expectations-- to just be open.
Best,
Lea

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back