• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VIA Francigena del SUD

Barbara06

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Hello !
Has anyone done (quite recently) the via Francigena del sud from Rome to further south ?
If so could you give information on accomodation or all other things ?
Thanks so much.

NB : I can only post here as there is no forum for Via Francigena del Sud from Rome to St Maria de Leuca

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello !
Has anyone done (quite recently) the via Francigena del sud from Rome to further south ?
Thanks so much.

NB : I can only post here as there is no forum for Via Francigena del Sud from Rome to St Maria de Leuca
Hello @Barbara06, I walked from Rome to Brindisi in Sept/October 2018. Give me a little time to find my information. There is limited 'pilgrim accommodation' but it does exist! I used that and B&Bs. Obviously it is MUCH less busy than the VF in northern Italy. I met just two other people for a couple of days along the way.
I didn't get as far as Santa Maria. I continued to Albania by ferry, and am still hoping to get to Jerusalem. I got as far as Thessaloniki.

Last edited:
@Barbara06 If you go to the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome page here and go to the bottom of the page you will get a link to what is essentially my accommodation list with one or two additions. I have given you the page link, as the CPR pages may be helpful in other ways too! This is a direct link to the excel file.

If you go here on this forum you can find what I put together about guide books. There is a steady trickle of guide books slowly coming out, mostly in Italian. I have not kept up wholly, (as my sights have moved on...!)

I would offer you every encouragement - it is a very nice walk, reasonably well signposted, especially in those two or three places where there are local associations.

Confusingly, there are three or four different FB groups for VF del Sud.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello !
Thanks so much.

@timr is certainly your best bet for information. I'm also keen on this route as a continuation of the VF which I undertook just last year...although it seems much longer ago now!
I hope you'll keep us posted with your plans @Barbara06 ...I'll be watching with great interest.
👣 🌏

Hi Barbara,
I traveled the southern VF, from Velletri to Santa Maria di Leuca in 2014. As @timr says there are not many accommodation for pilgrims and someone was closed in that year. On the other hand, there are sufficient tourist accommodation, Bed @ Breakfast, holiday homes and small hotels (sometimes you have to get off the track a few kilometers). There is, here in Italy, an official website, with an English version. If it can be useful:

Ciao

The pedant in me suggests that "Francigena del Sud" is a complete misnomer ; and would instead propose "Via Romea del Sud" ; as those routes lead neither to nor from France, except I suppose if you're on the Jerusalem Way, but then that would take precedence IMO.

As for accommodation, I would suggest asking at churches, monasteries, etc along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Votaire comes to mind... Ce corps qui s'appelait,et qui s'appelle encore, le Saint-Empire Romain, n'était en aucune manière, ni saint, ni romain, ni empire. (This body which was called and which still calls itself the Holy Roman Empire was in no way holy, nor Roman, nor an empire.)

I am not proposing to start a conversation on whether Voltaire was correct.;) And as a principle I am not opposed to pedantry. But I believe there is a place for pragmatism also. This is what the southern path is commonly called and is the phrase you can search on if you want to find information.

An interesting minor detail... The 'official site' for this path has the website https://www.viefrancigenedelsud.it/ but the heading on that site is "Via Francigena nel sud - from Rome to Jerusalem".

Last edited:
I enjoyed Efren Gonzales daily video of his Canterbury to Rome - Franciegena pilgrimage, from 2018......found on YouTube.
Love

@Barbara06 At the bottom of this page are links to two lists of accommodation which look helpful. Unfortunately the lists are not dated, but they include identification of (relatively few) places which are confirmed to be open. The website is very active.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just learned about the route from Rome to Santa Maria de Leuce. I found some route stage description pages, but I wonder if anybody knows of a blog or good English language description of someone walking that southern route starting in Rome?

I found a lot of Italian pages, which I may try to translate with the browser, but nothing in English.Thank you!

I just learned about the route from Rome to Santa Maria de Leuce. I found some route stage description pages, but I wonder if anybody knows of a blog or good English language description of someone walking that southern route starting in Rome?

I found a lot of Italian pages, which I may try to translate with the browser, but nothing in English.Thank you!
I will contact you with information Stephan.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back