• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena di San Francesco

FrancesK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April/May 2012); Le puy (Sept 2013)
Has anyone walked the Via Francigena di San Francesco, from Assisi to Rome?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Has anyone walked the Via Francigena di San Francesco, from Assisi to Rome?
Walked it last September. Wonderful walk. Arriving in Rome on foot as a pilgrim was very moving.

Sandy Brown was very helpful. His website is at www.caminoist.org. His book, Trekking The Way of St Francis: From Florence To Assisi And Rome (Cicerone Guides) came out last September and is outstanding. He shared a pre-publication galley proof with us and it provided all the information we needed. At his website, he is very generous with advice and assistance.

Perhaps the time has come for Ivar to include 'The way of Saint Francis' in a forum. We wish to walk it in 2017 and would love to hear from others who have walked it or are planning to walk this new route.

Hello, FrancesK.

I followed the VF di San Francesco from Assisi via Rieti to Rome in September, 2013 on my way to Jerusalem. It took 14 days to walk. Temperatures were high. The scenery was superb. Each day I walked as far as able then set about finding somewhere to sleep. I walked without internet access or a GPS using whatever information I found along the way. Here are links to the basic bones of my experience:

Stages: Scroll down a little to find Assisi to Rome:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/italy-accommodation-2013.320/

Maps etc:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ssana-turinese-via-assisi-rome-to-bari.32023/

Assisi to Rieti: In Assisi I visited the tourist office and acquired a map with profiles. Signing between Assisi and Rieti was sun scorched and at times inadequate. Leaving Assisi, I climbed up to the Ermitage and followed the Sentiero 50 & 60. The views were stunning. The pink villages of Umbria are exquisite.

Rieti to Rome: In Rieti I visited the Rieti Tourist Department opposite the Duomo. Here I was given a spiral bound tourist booklet of the VF di SF which included maps. Signing was problematic between Poggio San Lorenzo and Rome.

Happy Planning!
Lovingkindness
[edited 2016]

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you to all! You have been very helpful. This will be our holy year walk provided all goes according to plan :D

Walked it last September. Wonderful walk. Arriving in Rome on foot as a pilgrim was very moving.

Sandy Brown was very helpful. His website is at www.caminoist.org. His book, Trekking The Way of St Francis: From Florence To Assisi And Rome (Cicerone Guides) came out last September and is outstanding. He shared a pre-publication galley proof with us and it provided all the information we needed. At his website, he is very generous with advice and assistance.

Hi Karl, just wondering - is it possible to walk the way of st francis with just 650 euros? I've heard that accommodations may not be as affordable as the Spanish caminos. I'm on a student budget so would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Hi Karl, just wondering - is it possible to walk the way of st francis with just 650 euros? I've heard that accommodations may not be as affordable as the Spanish caminos. I'm on a student budget so would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!
Hola Kristone

If you mean that part of the Way from Assisi to Rome I'd say 650 euros is adequate. There is much information available on the Internet and from Assisi the route is very well waymarked - imho you don't need a guidebook. Let us know how you get on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Johnnie Walker, Thanks for the reply! I used your guide for my first Camino (Camino Ingles!) i was also able to do the Camino Frances 2 years ago starting at at Lourdes. Thanks so much for your all your work!

I would appreciate it if you could forward me towards any website or guides regarding this route I've been at it the whole day :p I've found this site here but it only describes the route north of assisi and finishing at Assisi. http://www.camminodiassisi.it/EN/tappe-e-percorsi.html

I'm particularly keen to see suggested pilgrim accommodations or hostels.

Thanks Heaps

Hola Kristone

I take it you want to walk from Assisi to Rome?

On this site you will see some suggested stages and distances:

http://francigenaways.com/ways/st-francis-way/

These are among the stages used in Sandy Brown's Guidebook where he also lists accommodation. I simply took the places and used Booking.com to research accommodation.

Sandy Brown's web site:

https://caminoist.org/st-francis-way/

Good travelogue: http://slowitaly.yourguidetoitaly.c...cis-a-550km-pilgrimage-from-florence-to-rome/

Regards

John

Hi Karl, just wondering - is it possible to walk the way of st francis with just 650 euros?
I think it would be pretty tight; we spent nearly 75 euros each, per day, but we didn't skimp, either. You can't count on very inexpensive hostels and pilgrim dinners as you can on the Camino de Santiago (although there are some). We followed Sandy Brown's guide, The Way of St. Francis, which was terrific, but there are a couple of places where the only accomodations are a bit expensive, quite a bit more than on the CdS.

The walking takes about 13 days. You'd have to count on a day in Assisi and a day in Rome, so call it 15 days. That would be 43 euros per day, which might be doable, but Rome is pretty expensive, and Assisi isn't cheap. So, 650 euros would be pretty tight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... I'm on a student budget so would appreciate the advice...
Hello, Kristone. Here are a few suggestions:

You are a pilgrim walking from village to village. You carry a credencial. At the end of the day you might

*introduce yourself to the local priest &/or visit the parish office (parrocchiale). Explain your need.

*Ask the locals if there is a floor or couch on which you may sleep.

*Determine how much you are able to spend on accommodation then offer it, however small.

*Offer to work or do chores in exchange for a couch/bed, a meal

*Share your talents, share yourself

*Show appreciation. If a donation seems inappropriate then leave a gift eg. chocolates, cheese, fruit, wild flowers….

Last edited:
I think it would be pretty tight; we spent nearly 75 euros each, per day, but we didn't skimp, either. You can't count on very inexpensive hostels and pilgrim dinners as you can on the Camino de Santiago (although there are some). We followed Sandy Brown's guide, The Way of St. Francis, which was terrific, but there are a couple of places where the only accomodations are a bit expensive, quite a bit more than on the CdS.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your reply! My Seminary is sending us on a three week pilgrimage from Rome to Krakow Poland - with everything covered. So I should be fine when i get to Rome. I think it might be possible then. I'll let you know how I go. (I'm deciding wether to just do the Camino Portuguese starting from Porto/Fatima or this one from Assisi)

...Or you might avoid all the above by carrying a tent or mat and sleeping 'out'. Then whatever cash you have can be spent on food & fun...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
...Or you might avoid all the above by carrying a tent or mat and sleeping 'out'. Then whatever cash you have can be spent on food & fun...

Hey there. I am tossing up between going for the Assisi route or just doing the portuguese way - where there will be plenty of affordable accommodation and affordable food. Your idea about knocking at the houses of priest or convents sounds great though. I am a seminarian so that might help.

Hey there. ... Your idea about knocking at the houses of priest or convents sounds great though. I am a seminarian so that might help.
Hey there, too.... I'm not a seminarian so I don't know how it will be for you. Some people welcome pilgrims, some people don't. Nobody is obliged...

Bon courage...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back