A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Via Francigena Forum

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
April 2017
My wife and I are walking the via Francigena from the Gt St Bernard Pass to Rome starting on the 14th August 2018. Weather wise is this a good time? We will arrive in Rome hopefully at the end of September.

At the top of the pass you can have wild weather at any time of year, having said that August is probably the safest time to be there and with luck it will be fine. Once you get down to the valley the weather should be ideal and by the time you reach the coast and then Tuscany August will be over and most of the Italian/European holiday makers should be back home.

We crossed the Po valley in August and were not troubled by mosquitoes but with the wrong weather they can be a problem roughly between Ivrea and Piacenza

Camino(s) past & future
April 2017
William,
Thanks for the reply. Just as we thought so hopefully, good weather and we should be set up for the journey. Would you recommend booking a lot or all off the accommodation before leaving. We are so far 6 days in trying to book each day.

If you are walking together I understand the desire to book ahead as much as possible. Whether this all has to or can be done from home I would not want to say but usually it is possible to book a day or week ahead.

I would suggest the section to book ahead most seriously would be the plains of the Po valley. This is not a tourist area and the accommodation is thinner there than in the Aosta valley or after Fornovo de Taro.

Booking in the bigger towns is not necessary as there is always somewhere to stay.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago, Camino Portugal, way of st Francis
Hi William, hope you can answer a few questions I am planning to walk from Grand St Bernard towards Rome in about 3 weeks and believe there is a bus twice daily from Aosta to Grand St Bernard, also if I plan to stay at the hospice would I need to book ahead and is it near where the bus finishes. Hope you can help me

I know there is a bus from Orsierres up to the pass from the Swiss side as this is the direction we travelled but I do not know for sure if one goes up from Aosta. There is certainly a bus through the tunnel from Aosta to Orsierres so it would be possible to do it in two sections if the direct option does not exist. I know the hospice accepts pilgrims by foot, ski and bike but there are also two hotels there, one on each side of the border.
All accommodation options are close with the hospice and auberge on opposite sides of the road.
Hospice
hospicestbernard@gsbernard.ch
Hotels
Auberge de l'Hospice
info@aubergehospice.ch
Hotel Italia
info@gransanbernardo.it

jl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
My wife and I are walking the via Francigena from the Gt St Bernard Pass to Rome starting on the 14th August 2018.
I have just returned from walking in Italy (on the Via Romea), and be warned - it is HOT at present! It is also quite humid - which, depending where you are from may or may not be an issue.

frida1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
I tried to book the hostel at St Bernard several weeks ago for September 11, and it was full. We ended up booking the hotel across the street for a lot more money.

caminka

Camino(s) past & future
see signature
I tried to book the hostel at St Bernard several weeks ago for September 11, and it was full. We ended up booking the hotel across the street for a lot more money.
why don't you try hotel italia on the italian side of the lake? it has pilgrim prices and is in euros.

frida1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
I just looked at it. Hotel Italia is very slightly cheaper than the hotel associated with the hospice and has one room left for my date. I think I’ll stick with what I have.

caminka

Camino(s) past & future
see signature
I just looked at it. Hotel Italia is very slightly cheaper than the hotel associated with the hospice and has one room left for my date. I think I’ll stick with what I have.
did you ask for the pilgrim price? it should be €25.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Most Liked

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • May