• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena Guide

tominrm

Time of past OR future Camino
I am thinking about walking VF next spring and wondering if a guidebook would be necessary to walk from Lucca to Rome. I read it here that the path is well marked from Lucca. My reluctance on getting a guidebook is the weight of the book. I suppose I can download a guide but why if I don't need to read. I am trying to reduce the weight of my backpack to minimum. I think I can download the list of accommodation in my iPhone. Does anyone see the advantage of having a guidebook?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No guidebook required. Just use the app from the Vie Francigene website - it is excellent. You can download the maps for use offline if need be..

We have just finished the final 100km of the Via Francigena.
I did buy the Terre Di Mezzo guide: it was very useful for planning and it is pleasant to be able to read it again and reflect on our pilgrimage.
I did not take it with me, but did photocopy the pages that I needed and then discarded them after each section.
There are some signification alternative routes to choose from as you make the journey: it is easier to make those choices with help from the guidebook.
There are also some confusing alternatives and some poorly waymarked sections in urban areas.
I just weighed the book and it is 315gm: if you are not too bothered about cutting up books your journey will be about 150gm worth.
Hope this helps

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have just returned from walking from Lucca to Roma. I used apps on my phone. You can buy the Terre di Mezzo guidebook in Lucca if you want. However, the apps I used were great. I also uploaded the route onto Maps.me

Thank you, all. I will definitely download the app and get a copy of Terre Di Mezzo guide for the planning purpose.

Thank you, all. I will definitely download the app and get a copy of Terre Di Mezzo guide for the planning purpose.
I tried to buy the guide online... the ebook, but it did not download. Will have to buy a hard copy when we get there in April.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried to buy the guide online... the ebook, but it did not download. Will have to buy a hard copy when we get there in April.
I bought my copy from Amazon

Hello,
I have walked several caminos in France and Spain and am planning a to walk the Via Francigena (Italy) as of April. I am a little concerned about the cost of accommodations. I have downloaded (first time going techy!) the Via Francigena app and am wondering if it is (or what is?) the best source for low cost/pilgrim hostels. En français ou en anglais ... haven't figured out out to put a picture

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am thinking about walking VF next spring and wondering if a guidebook would be necessary to walk from Lucca to Rome. I read it here that the path is well marked from Lucca. My reluctance on getting a guidebook is the weight of the book. I suppose I can download a guide but why if I don't need to read. I am trying to reduce the weight of my backpack to minimum. I think I can download the list of accommodation in my iPhone. Does anyone see the advantage of having a guidebook?
Guide books are wonderful resources but added weight. Buy the book to pay and encourage the author and future writers. Then using your phone, photograph what you need and be prepared along the way.

Thank you for the tip! It will be useful. In the meanwhile I found a room for 2 (friends) for 51 euros ... best I could find. Called Hotel Miage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I emailed Terre di Mezzi and received wonderful support. I now have the app downloaded on my phone and it looks to be fabulous.

I emailed Terre di Mezzi and received wonderful support. I now have the app on my phone and it looks fabulous.

Hello,
I have walked several caminos in France and Spain and am planning a to walk the Via Francigena (Italy) as of April. I am a little concerned about the cost of accommodations. I have downloaded (first time going techy!) the Via Francigena app and am wondering if it is (or what is?) the best source for low cost/pilgrim hostels. En français ou en anglais ... haven't figured out out to put a picture
have you seen the accommodatin list in the resources? it lists pilgrim-specific and pilgrim-friendly budget accommodation, last updated in august 2019.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back