• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena - Palio di Siena August 16th

Purky

Intermittent Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Reality is frequently inaccurate
It's been a while since I posted, but guys, I really need some guidance. Currently in the middle of planning three weeks on the Via Francigena in August: Lucca to Rome. Tickets are booked and Sandy Browns Cicerone guide has already been delivered.

But here's the thing. I've made a rough draught of the first few stages and it looks like I'll walk into Siena on the 14th of August at the end of the afternoon. I have already been contemplating to spend an extra day there, so I should be leaving Siena bright and chipper on the morning of the 16th. But the Palio di Siena is happening on the 16th of August too, at 7 p.m.

I'm very conflicted. Should I take my time (and also lose a day after Siena!) to stay for the mad spectacle? Prices for accommodation are already ridiculous now, but still maybe sort of affordable on the outskirts of the city centre. On the other hand I hate to book ahead so long in advance because Murphy's Law.

Plus I'm not big on crowds, and this race draws thousands. But being this close to this festivity in space and time feels suspiciously like a rather blatant nudge from the cosmos. It'd be sort of rude to ignore that. I need some fresh outlooks, maybe some insight from someone who has experienced this circus in earlier years.

In short: what would you do?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you walk out of Siena on 15th how far would you get by the night of 16th? And can you get back to Siena on 17th for the day then return that day to the VF. Seems a shame to miss it. And it also seems a shame to spend a lot of money hanging around in Siena for a couple of days until 17th.

Siena is fantastic but you can't really see anything for all the tourists and bus tours these days. Best to get to and get back if you can for the day.

The actual event lasts about a minute, you’ve got zero chance of getting close enough to see it and the crowds will beyond imagination. The atmosphere for a couple of days will be outstanding.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back