A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Via Francigena Pilgrim Identifier

Saikiki

Camino(s) past & future
Fall 2019
Hi Guys!

Where can you buy crossed keys/pilgrim patch or brooch? I would love to have it from the beginning of my walk and was wondering if any cathedrals or tourist offices sell them. I'm visiting Lucca but I'm starting my walk from Altopascio and ending in Monteriggioni. Thanks!

P.S. leaving in 3 weeks - SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

Saikiki

Camino(s) past & future
Fall 2019
@Saikiki Welcome!
Not sure what country you are in. If in UK, the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome.
Enjoy your experience.
I'm in the US and flying into Pisa and from there taking the train to Lucca. I know that the tourist office or churches will be selling the credentials but I didn't know if they were also selling the patches/brooches, etc...

timr

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
I'm in the US and flying into Pisa and from there taking the train to Lucca. I know that the tourist office or churches will be selling the credentials but I didn't know if they were also selling the patches/brooches, etc...
I don't know either! But I rather doubt that the tourist office or cathedral will have brooches or patches. I have never seen any. Even in Lucca, and other Tuscan cities, the absolute number of walkers on the VF is quite small compared, say, to the Camino in Spain.
I just looked on CPR site and it is giving £3 for the badge and £5.45 for shipping to US. £8.45 is $10.28
You can decide! ;)

DLJ

Camino(s) past & future
(4/2012) St.Jean to Santiago; (9/2013) Geneva to Le Puy-en-Velay and beyond
My wife and I went on Etsy.com and bought a couple of large antique keys. I think the Via Francigena Assoc. now has a patch.

Slow guy

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2013
Le Puy 2014
Arles- Toulouse 2015
Toulouse - Pamplona 2016
VDLP 2017
CP 2018
VF 2019
As Tim mentioned, I got a nice patch and credential from the CPR. I sewed the patch on and the few pilgrims I saw were jealous

debra

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2010, Frances 2010
Via Francigena 2014 bicigrino
Way of St. Francis 2017 bicigrino
In the USA I bought a reproduction of a medieval pewter badge of the crossed keys that I sewed to my bag.

Both the key on the left and the key with sword are reproductions of pilgrim badges for Rome. If you would like more information I can post more information on how I got them.

I have been unable to sew the embroidered patches onto this bag (bent 10 needles trying) which I do take my pilgrimages by bicycle.

Attachments

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
In the USA I bought a reproduction of a medieval pewter badge of the crossed keys that I sewed to my bag.

Both the key on the left and the key with sword are reproductions of pilgrim badges for Rome. If you would like more information I can post more information on how I got them.

I have been unable to sew the embroidered patches onto this bag (bent 10 needles trying) which I do take my pilgrimages by bicycle.
Two words - fabric glue

debra

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2010, Frances 2010
Via Francigena 2014 bicigrino
Way of St. Francis 2017 bicigrino
Two words - fabric glue
At this point I am happy with the metal one and my bag doesn’t leek in the rain with them, so I am good.
I can also remove them.

Harington

Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
Hi Guys!

Where can you buy crossed keys/pilgrim patch or brooch? I would love to have it from the beginning of my walk and was wondering if any cathedrals or tourist offices sell them. I'm visiting Lucca but I'm starting my walk from Altopascio and ending in Monteriggioni. Thanks!

P.S. leaving in 3 weeks - SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
Good for you!
I made my own VF identifier...see pic.
Two keys & a piece of red felt (all from the local craft supply shop)...a few stitches later & voila! Total cost approx AUD$3.00
I will say I only saw the crossed key symbol once throughout the entire VF (London to Rome..2100+km). Also only one other pilgrim carried the key symbol, their's was homemade too.
By far & away, the recognised symbol of the VF is the robed figure, not the crossed keys.
Happy & safe trails to you.
👣 🌏
20190802_162949-1305x979.jpg

Last edited:

Jbirk

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, SJPP to Finesterre April (2018)
Via Francigena Sept (2018)
Del Norte Aug (2019)
We found some patches in a tourist office outside Siena

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock