• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena Pilgrim Identifier

Saikiki

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2019
Hi Guys!

Where can you buy crossed keys/pilgrim patch or brooch? I would love to have it from the beginning of my walk and was wondering if any cathedrals or tourist offices sell them. I'm visiting Lucca but I'm starting my walk from Altopascio and ending in Monteriggioni. Thanks!

P.S. leaving in 3 weeks - SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Saikiki Welcome!
Not sure what country you are in. If in UK, the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome.
Enjoy your experience.
I'm in the US and flying into Pisa and from there taking the train to Lucca. I know that the tourist office or churches will be selling the credentials but I didn't know if they were also selling the patches/brooches, etc...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in the US and flying into Pisa and from there taking the train to Lucca. I know that the tourist office or churches will be selling the credentials but I didn't know if they were also selling the patches/brooches, etc...
I don't know either! But I rather doubt that the tourist office or cathedral will have brooches or patches. I have never seen any. Even in Lucca, and other Tuscan cities, the absolute number of walkers on the VF is quite small compared, say, to the Camino in Spain.
I just looked on CPR site and it is giving £3 for the badge and £5.45 for shipping to US. £8.45 is $10.28
You can decide! ;)

My wife and I went on Etsy.com and bought a couple of large antique keys. I think the Via Francigena Assoc. now has a patch.

As Tim mentioned, I got a nice patch and credential from the CPR. I sewed the patch on and the few pilgrims I saw were jealous

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the USA I bought a reproduction of a medieval pewter badge of the crossed keys that I sewed to my bag.

Both the key on the left and the key with sword are reproductions of pilgrim badges for Rome. If you would like more information I can post more information on how I got them.

I have been unable to sew the embroidered patches onto this bag (bent 10 needles trying) which I do take my pilgrimages by bicycle.

Attachments

• 4632FB06-20B4-4A81-82A4-9322189D7D1F.jpeg
    4632FB06-20B4-4A81-82A4-9322189D7D1F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
In the USA I bought a reproduction of a medieval pewter badge of the crossed keys that I sewed to my bag.

Both the key on the left and the key with sword are reproductions of pilgrim badges for Rome. If you would like more information I can post more information on how I got them.

I have been unable to sew the embroidered patches onto this bag (bent 10 needles trying) which I do take my pilgrimages by bicycle.
Two words - fabric glue

Two words - fabric glue
At this point I am happy with the metal one and my bag doesn’t leek in the rain with them, so I am good.
I can also remove them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Guys!

Where can you buy crossed keys/pilgrim patch or brooch? I would love to have it from the beginning of my walk and was wondering if any cathedrals or tourist offices sell them. I'm visiting Lucca but I'm starting my walk from Altopascio and ending in Monteriggioni. Thanks!

P.S. leaving in 3 weeks - SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
Good for you!
I made my own VF identifier...see pic.
Two keys & a piece of red felt (all from the local craft supply shop)...a few stitches later & voila! Total cost approx AUD$3.00
I will say I only saw the crossed key symbol once throughout the entire VF (London to Rome..2100+km). Also only one other pilgrim carried the key symbol, their's was homemade too.
By far & away, the recognised symbol of the VF is the robed figure, not the crossed keys.
Happy & safe trails to you.
👣 🌏
20190802_162949-1305x979.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back