• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Via Francigena Sud

Anna&Michael

Not all those who wander are lost!
Time of past OR future Camino
We're walking south on the Via Francigena Sud, from Rome to Santa Maria di Leuca on the heel of Italy.

Least year we walked from Canterbury to Rome and returning to Rome for this journey felt like we were coming back to finish the task. It doesn't hurt that the food in this part of Italy is delicious, the locals very friendly and the countryside varied.

We've been surprised that quite a few local people know what we are doing as the route was only officially sanctioned just before COVID. So doing this pilgrimage is a lovely combination of feeling a little like a pioneer while having a guidebook, an App and accommodation lists.

This is our story of walking out of Rome on the first stage of the Via Francigena Sud.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked London to Rome in 2021 and I have the Sud on my list (likely 2025). We will likely go from Rome to Budapest, or if we get really adventurous all the way to Jerusalem. I've heard the Sud is nice. I'll be interested to hear if it is much different than the Tuscany portion of the VF

We walked London to Rome in 2021 and I have the Sud on my list (likely 2025). We will likely go from Rome to Budapest, or if we get really adventurous all the way to Jerusalem. I've heard the Sud is nice. I'll be interested to hear if it is much different than the Tuscany portion of the VF
Keep an eye out for further posts and we'll probably post a short overview once we're finished and back home. Also, we're always happy to answer any specific questions.
Buon Cammino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In this second installment, we cross the Apinnines to reach the Adriatic Sea. There's rain, rubbish and plenty of friendly locals saying hello, asking about our trip and even gifting us produce. Oh, and there hills as well!
Buon Cammino

Last edited:
In this second installment, we cross the Apinnines to reach the Adriatic Sea. There's rain, rubbish and plenty of friendly locals saying hello, asking about our trip and even gifting us produce. Oh, and there hills as well!
Buon Cammino

Terrific account. Many thanks to you both for taking the time. You are making great progress!. Tim

Buon Cammino

Eager to follow in your footsteps and beyond. 2025 Rome to Jerusalem is the tentative plan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Finis Terrae: to the end of the earth, is the third, and final, account of our Via Francigena Sud journey from Rome to end of Italy. We follow the Adriatic Sea south from Bari, once the ancient capital of a Byzantine kingdom, walking through ancient olive groves, along beaches and listening to musicians singing forgotten traditional songs.

https://our-wanderlust.com/2023/05/finis-terrae-to-the-end-of-the-earth/

Finis Terrae: to the end of the earth, is the third, and final, account of our Via Francigena Sud journey from Rome to end of Italy. We follow the Adriatic Sea south from Bari, once the ancient capital of a Byzantine kingdom, walking through ancient olive groves, along beaches and listening to musicians singing forgotten traditional songs.

https://our-wanderlust.com/2023/05/finis-terrae-to-the-end-of-the-earth/
Wonderful to read your account. So very happy you had such a wonderful experience.
So.....
Where next......? ;)

Wonderful to read your account. So very happy you had such a wonderful experience.
So.....
Where next......? ;)
Thanks for your assistance Tim, your advice was much appreciated.
We're in Sicily now and have just started the Magna Via Francigena, Palermo to Agrigento.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Would love to hear about this one. I am just starting my Sud planning now for 2025 as well.
Bob
We really enjoyed the Magna VF, not many people walking but it has been well publicised so the locals have an idea of what you're doing. Recommended if you have 10 days or so when you finish the Sud (or want to return another time).
Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back