• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via francigena

Aussie jayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago, Camino Portugal, way of st Francis
I’m looking to walk part of the via francigena around end of August, like to start from St. Bernard pass. Is this a route that is sign posted fairly well. I have done the Portugal Camino, the Camino Francis Florence to Rieti and the SjPdP to Santiago, I found St Francis walk quite demanding, loads of elevation, can anyone give me any sort of comparison. I walked the Portugal and St Francis walk solo (female 59yo), is the francigena pretty safe. Appreciate any info
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there. I start walking from Great Saint Bernard Pass on 8 August. I have a copy of the Alison Raju guide, plus have the Slow Way app and the official VF app from the website (http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/). My understanding is that this route is not as well way-marked and has a lot less pilgrim infrastructure - hence my need to learn how to use apps! At this stage I will be walking on my own, but I am told it is safe. Have you joined up to the Facebook group? It is fabulous for asking questions about the VF. Aussie Mel, 53yrs!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi striped socks, I have the light foot guide but will check out the Alison Raju guide as well I also have the SloWays app which is similar to an app I used on my last Italian walk. I will check the Facebook group, I think it’s one I joined when on my last walk also. Just wondering about the elevations on this walk. Never felt unsafe on my last walk as a solo traveller but definitely not as well supported as the Camino to Santiago

I understand that the waymarking had been improved greatly in the last years when the path has been also taken off roads wherever possible (and is therefore a bit longer).
some of the best info on this is here: http://kentontheviafrancigena.com/blog/.

take a look also at wikiloc tracks, some are very recent (like march 2018).
there are wikiloc tracks of most of the route in tuscany from december 2016, when someone walked them with a camera stripped to the top of his/her head.

there are quite a number of pilgrim-specific or pilgrim-oriented accommodations. the coverage in general is quite good, except during a few days after siena (surprisingly, as this section is quite popular).

I have walked both the VF and the Assisi and in my opinion the VF is easier, climbing wise, than the Assisi route. Much easier. The hard part about the VF is that often it is flatter and not in shade, so you need to be prepared for hot sun. Of course in Tuscany you will have the hill top villages to climb to (Montefiascone, San Gimignano etc) but they are no worse than the hilltop villages on the Umbrian leg of the Assisi route. Coming down to and through Aosta the path is quite steep, but I didn't find it difficult. I also found signage adequate when I did it and that was in 2011, and I know it is now better than then so it should be fine. There were more refuges along this route than on the Assisi and some nice convents to stay in too. There is a very good map for the Tuscany leg which I purchased in Pavia (I think - or else Lucca). That has lists of accomodation on it as well as other useful information. I think it is quite readily available in Tuscany, which has the best infrastructure for the route. In Bolsena you have a choice of staying up in the old town (which is very nice) or in a swish hotel (if you can get it at the right price) right on the shore of the lake - absolutely gorgeous. You might want to have a rest day there and visit the famous village only accessble by a bridge - up in the mountains (on the way to Orvieto) - well worth a visit. (sorry I am on the road - on the VIa Romea Germanica) at present and so don't have information like that at my finger tips, but I am sure you will be able to find it. There are also hot baths in the middle of no-where in a paddock on the way to ? - sorry cant remember the actual place, but about 10 days from Rome. No change rooms (a sarong acted as a change room!) but very relaxing for an hour or so - you might need to take bathers. Buen Camino Janet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked two sections of the Via Francigena in Aosta Valley, not solo, but with a female friend. We found it absolutely safe!

There are some elevations, of course, and some of them are rather steep. But after Donnaz, the terrain becomes much flatter.

Here's the official website, very informative and in very good English: http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/viafrancigena/ :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back