• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Gebennensis Geneva to Le Puy in October

Steffan

Hello all,

I feel like walking and got a few weeks of holiday. October does not seem to be the best time to start, but I wonder if anyone her has information regarding open auberges/hostels on the Geneva way, from now until the end of October.

Thanks and greetings,

Steffan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello all,

I feel like walking and got a few weeks of holiday. October does not seem to be the best time to start, but I wonder if anyone her has information regarding open auberges/hostels on the Geneva way, from now until the end of October.

Thanks and greetings,

Steffan

Hi Steffan, I can only tell you that when I started from Geneva last year I found that there was not much service for the pilgrim and I suppose for the people living in those villages : restaurant shut very early,
bars with nothing to eat, cafe with nothing to eat, all telling you that the crisis was the cause of it ( not many pilgrim start in Geneva ). I noticed that thing start getting better only after Le Puy.
for the accommodation in France you are practically oblige to book by phone, so on that part you shouldn?t have any problem. ( This is only my experience ready for someone else to state de contrary )
I can only say to be very carefully food wise not to end up with no meal at the end of the day.
I suppose I am of not much help but I never write down the places I stop, I like to forget so next time it will be a new experience.
Buen Camino

Hi Steffan, I can only tell you that when I started from Geneva last year I found that there was not much service for the pilgrim and I suppose for the people living in those villages : restaurant shut very early,
bars with nothing to eat, cafe with nothing to eat, all telling you that the crisis was the cause of it ( not many pilgrim start in Geneva ). I noticed that thing start getting better only after Le Puy.
for the accommodation in France you are practically oblige to book by phone, so on that part you shouldn?t have any problem. ( This is only my experience ready for someone else to state de contrary )
I can only say to be very carefully food wise not to end up with no meal at the end of the day.
I suppose I am of not much help but I never write down the places I stop, I like to forget so next time it will be a new experience.
Buen Camino
Hi Ernesto,

many thanks for your detailed reply!
I friend of mine walked from Geneva last year, but much earlier in the year, and she didn't report any problems.
I know that this camino is not very much visited, but that I find is rather an advantage.
I shall phone up some of the gites tomorrow to see if they are still open in October.
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just walked this route and it is essential to get the yellow guide from the Association St Jacques de Rhone d'Alpes
They list private accueil St Jacques along the route where you sleep and eat with families and also list commercial places. Had no issues getting fed. You need to take a picnic lunch though as often no shops/cafes en route.
You can get the guide sent from the Association.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back