• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Jacobi Accommodation - Hope this is of use

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I plan on joining the Class 2013 with a Camino which follows the Via Jacobi, Via Gebennensis, The Puy, Camino Frances and Finisterre Way caminos. I expect to walk 2,400 kms in total.

In preparation for this pilgrimage I have researched numerous guides and web sites to compile a listing of accommodation for these various routes. Attached is what I have found for the Via Jacobi route. I thought I would share this with fellow pilgrims as it may be of value to new and perhaps veteran pilgrims alike.

The spreadsheet is a first attempt and as such will be updated as I learn more. My intention is to likely focus more on private or shared stays in small hotels, pensions or other private accommodation.

You will note that the name of the establishment is highlighted in green where I have found a positive review (link has been included). I am very interested in hearing from anyone who:

Will share a positive experience on any accommodation listed or other if missing

Can provide a missing website address

Notices an error

Depending on feedback received I will republish the listing at a later date or not.

As the title says “Hope this is of use”.

Many thanks

Guy

Attachments

• Via Jacobi Accommodation 2012.xlsx
    35.5 KB · Views: 247
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
GuyA said:
Hi,

I plan on joining the Class 2013 with a Camino which follows the Via Jacobi, Via Gebennensis, The Puy, Camino Frances and Finisterre Way caminos. I expect to walk 2,400 kms in total.....
In preparation for this pilgrimage I have researched numerous guides and web sites to compile a listing of accommodation for these various routes.
As the title says “Hope this is of use”.
Many thanks
Guy

Hi Guy,
Useful? ....you have no idea how much :D I started a little further 'back the road' in Nurnberg and am making the journey in sections over a couple of years so this information is great. As I'm getting to the Swiss leg of the journey this year your accommodation guide couldn't have come at a better time. Many thanks for all your hard work (which puts my so called 'planning' to shame :oops: ) and I'll be happy to give you feedback on any of the places I stay.
Nell

Hi Nell,

Glad that the information has come at a good time for your. I would be very interested in hearing from you once you have walked in Switzerland as I have found it difficult to find much information from pilgrims who have walked the Via Jacobi.

Happy planning.

Guy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
GuyA said:
Hi Nell,

Glad that the information has come at a good time for your. I would be very interested in hearing from you once you have walked in Switzerland as I have found it difficult to find much information from pilgrims who have walked the Via Jacobi.
Happy planning.
Guy

Hi Guy,
That's no bother at all I'll give you feedback as I go along and it's a small price to pay for the list! In Germany so far I sourced places to stay from a list generated by a local interest group (Nurnberg to Eichstatt leg) otherwise just googled my daily destination. No where has been too far off route to date anyway.
Nell

Hello GuyA

My wife walked this route through Switzerland in September 2010. We used the material available from the Swiss association along with adding some additional B&B and Sleep in the Straw locations to create a personal accommodation list for her.

Obviously it would have been great if we had your list instead

You have picked the most diverse and probably most interesting sections of the entire camino network of trails in Europe. When do you plan to start your walk?

I guess you are allowing approx 14 weeks (100 days in total) to walk the entire distance?

Good work and good luck with the walk

Neville

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Neville,

Thanks for your email and encouragement. My current plan is to start around August 1 2013 and interestingly enough I have been thinking of 100 days as my target to complete the trip.

If you or your wife recall any of the B&B's and Sleep in Straw locations that she stayed at and enjoyed I would be very interesting to hear about them.

Appreciated hearing from you.

Thanks

Guy

Hi Guy

My wife walked the route in September 2010 (for most of the time by herself, I might add, until a few days before reaching Lausanne when she was joined by some other pilgrims)

One other person was asking about my accommodation list I made up for her.
I found what I put together for her along with some other docs you might find useful.

The Swiss Association has a good information about the route in Switzerland in English (I would recommend downloading the current accommodation list too - ours is probably outdated)
http://www.jakobsweg.ch/

Between the well marked signs and the documentation she downloaded from this site, she was able to easily navigate her way across Switzerland. I will ask her about some of the more favorite places she stayed at (one was a monastery) and pass this on to you shortly

Attachments

• accommodation.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Switzerland to Spain.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 102
Hi Neville,

Great information and look forward to any accommodation recommendations that you are able to provide. It's reassuring to know that this type of trip has been completed before.

The breakdown of your wife's trip was really informative as it almost exactly matches my initial planning in that it averages just under 26 kms per day. We have slight variations in the Swiss route...I planned 86 days for the Einsiedeln to Santiago section while the spreadsheet you provided has 84 days however I currently have 60km more on my plan.

If you don't mind a few other questions:

What time of year was the trip undertaken?
Were any accommodations booked in advance?
How many rest days were taken?
I very much appreciate your help.

Thanks

Guy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
GuyA said:
Hi Neville,

If you don't mind a few other questions:

What time of year was the trip undertaken?
Were any accommodations booked in advance?
How many rest days were taken?
I very much appreciate your help.

Thanks

Guy

Hi Guy

My wife walked Switzerland during the 2-3 weeks of September 2010. She had rain and even snow in the higher section during the first week of September, so it was slow going.

Normally she called ahead the day before and given it was September getting a room was normally not a problem but she did get booked out a few times. Since you are starting in August, you may have to book accommodation more often since it is the peak vacation time.

My wife is not a fast walker and I seem to remember she spent an extra day at the monastery and a couple of other rest days in Thun where she has family.

I have located and attached the actual walking plans I put together for her for this particular section in Switzerland. As you may know there is a number of variations to the main route including a south and north variation

Given the terrain and weather, I think if you are capable of walking 25-35 km per day in Spain on the Camino, you should be able to do 20-25 km per day in Switzerland. Over 30 km might be a stretch especially if the days are short

One other comment. Personally I would give some consideration to starting in May, to take advantage of the longer days and the fact you will be ahead of the vacation crowd for most of the route. You could dump the cool weather gear once you arrive in Le Puy and ship it forward to Santiago or home

Trust this helps

Neville

Attachments

• swss camino south route.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Swiss Camino Stages Schedule.xls
    60.5 KB · Views: 95

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back