• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Jacobi questions

chirimiri

Time of past OR future Camino
planning on '13
I've been researching the Via Jacobi and have a few questions that I have been unable to find an answer for:

Approximately how long does it take to complete the Via Jacobi? (From Konstanz to Geneva)

Where does the Via Jacobi split into the North and South routes? And which one is the better one to walk?

Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi chirimiri,

I did the Via Jacobi in summer 2012, but I came in from Austria and joined it at Wattwill.

The track starting at Konstanz can be done in 19 days, according to the German guide I used (which I also can highly recommend: http://fave.co/17QP7X1), with stages between 20km and 30km.
This guide mainly covers the north route, but the south split route splits from the north way at Brunnen (as you have to take a boat here :p ) and runs above the "Vierwaldstättersee", via Luzern and past Bern, while the north route covers Brienz, Interlaken and Thun.
They meet again at RĂĽeggisberg, where the continue together till Geneva.

Personally, I'd recommend the northern route, as you pass the beautiful double lakes Brienzer See & Thunersee, while the south route run to the both large cities mentioned.
But this is a personal choice :)

And if you're curious, you can also read a bit about it in my blog:
http://wayofmichaelv.blogspot.com

I cover most of this area from day 10-24, with GPS track available :)

If you need any more info, do not hesitate to let me know!

The number of days depends upon pace, and number of walking hours of course. I have just walked Nuremberg to Einsiedeln, and I do not have "German legs". My best daily stage distance is in the 15-18 km range, walking 5-6 hours a day at 3 km/hr. From Konstanz to Einsiedeln was 6 days for me. Working through the guide for next year, at this rate from Einsiedeln to Geneva will be an additional 24 walking days (rest days not counted).

There are current guidebooks available in German (the Outdoor series, Schweiz: Jakobsweg) from Amazon.de, and in French from the Swiss pilgrim association. Additionally there are lists of lodging available from the Swiss pilgrim association.

It's a wonderful route, with fantastic scenery, many religious sites, quite a few pilgrim herberge hostels, and other walkers. I'm looking forward to returning next year! (Details on the blog, as usual.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We found you could cut out many of the tough pieces by hopping ferries. Amazing how much of Switzerland can be crossed by boat! Hey, it what the high class pilgrims of yore would have done!

Attachments

• swissnavy.JPG
    swissnavy.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 483
Not only boat! The Swiss have a truly excellent train system that runs practically everywhere, all the time. It was about an hour and a half from Einsiedeln to Zurich by train. There is a rail connection from Einsiedeln to Brunnen, getting around the highest pass and its long, steep descent.

A bit off topic, but we stayed in a Catholic hotel in Einsiedeln one winter on a ski trip. We had a great time, and had breakfast with priest with whom we traded George Bush jokes.

When we returned as credentialed pilgrims the reception was far worse. We were told to leave our bikes out on the street, they couldn't go in any storage area or our room. No intererest in our pilgrimage at all. We left and got a hotel across the street.

Einsiedeln is a great town though, a highlight of the trip. The monastery is wonderful and they were more than happy to stamp our passports.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your replies! I have been busy with school. Kitsambler, I have already been lurking and reading your blog for research as well.

I will start with this initial advice you two have graciously provided me with. :smile: Thanks a bunch!

I am paper-planning my next camino that will take me north of the alps this time. michael, you stayed in the monastery in stams. do they also accommodate female pilgrims? normally they only take men but I can't find any info if that applies to pilgrims as well? thanks!

Hi, I have just walked the Via Jacobi and did both bits from Lake Constance, the Konstanz to Rapperswil and Rorschach to Rapperswil. The Lucerne variatnte is not meant to be as nice as the the route via Brienz. Here is my blog: www.gittiharre.blogspot.co.nz
I understand the monastery in Stams no longer takes pilgrims.
There is wonderful scenery, but closeness to civilisation and a lot of concrete underfoot. A challenge to do it on a budget. I managed on just under 60 francs per day, with pilgrim lodgings, sleeping in the straw and a lot of dried soups, hardly any dinners out, occasional menu of the day. Not as easy as the French/Spanish routes....
It took me about 21 days from Lake Constance to just before Geneva.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
thank you, gittiharre! I will certainly study you blog.
I know the luzern variant has less monumental mountain views but I want to see the city and plan a bit of a diversion via emmental to bern.
oh, that is unfortunate, I kinda wanted to sleep in stams.
from my search I didn't get the feeling that it's that close to civilisation, more fairly lots of countryside walking via fields and meadows. but yes, lors of small roads, unfortunately. I will mentally prepare myself to that before I go and I always plan shorter stages at the beginning, to get my legs used to the hard surface.
I read somewhere that the part between Lausanne and Geneve is very short on affordable accommodation? is that true?
thanks in advance!

Hi Kaminka, yes the bit between Lausanne and Geneva is problematic as far as accommodation goes, you have to book a long way ahead and most of the cheaper options and so called pilgrim accommodations no longer exist. I would take the boat, like the old pilgrims did...
Make sure you stay with Regula on the Lucerne route. She opens her home to pilgrims, lovely woman, who was volunteering as hospitalera in Brienzwiler. I lost her details unfortunately, but you may ask around....

the boat it is then.
do you know at least more or less where lives regula? before lake lucerne or after? I haven't come across her in my reasearch and I love to stay at people's homes and learn a bit more about the culture.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will contact the pilgrim hostel in Brienzwiler, they should know and let you know, Gitti

I sent an email to Brienzwiler, but have not heard back yet, will try by phone, Gitti

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No answer at Brienzwiler, closed for Winter I think, sorry, not sure where else to try, when do you plan to go?

Ok found it, Regula MĂĽller in GĂĽmligen which is before Bern. If you go into the website www.jacobsweg.ch and go into the Lucerne segment, you can download the Unterkunftsliste which is the accommodation list. It gives you a list of pilgrim friendly places to stay with approx price guides. Regula is listed on it and she accommodates pilgrims by donation. All the best, Gitti

oh, I have her! she is listed under bernerweg in my separation of the routes, that's why I didn't find her in luzernerweg. thank you anyhow!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back