• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Jacobi Switzerland

Larry OHeron

Time of past OR future Camino
Via De La Plata
Thinking about doing this in 2020.
Already did the Via Francigena in Switzerland.

Can one get pilgrim stamps along the Via Jacobi? It wasn't possible on the VF.

Larry O

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Larry,

I did the Via Jacobi three times through Switzerland and twice the VF through Switzerland to Rome (and back to Santiago) and my Credenciales are full with stamps :)

Can't understand what went wrong?

Greetz,
Andrea

I did the Via Jacobi in 2014 and didn't had problems to find places that stamped my credencial,

BC SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can one get pilgrim stamps along the Via Jacobi? It wasn't possible on the VF.
Yes, of course there are stamps. And quite a variety of lodgings, ranging from "Schlaf im Stroh" to high-end resort hotels. The Via Jacobi is marked as Route 4 (https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland/route-04.html) and the hiking association has complete lodging lists available. Route guides in German are available from Conrad-Stein (the ubiquitous little yellow books). Gute Reise!

Hey Larry,

I did the Via Jacobi three times through Switzerland and twice the VF through Switzerland to Rome (and back to Santiago) and my Credenciales are full with stamps :)

Can't understand what went wrong?

Greetz,
Andrea

What kinds of places did you go to? I tried the bars, restaurants, hotels, hostels etc, and gave up by day three. No one that I asked knew what I was talking about.

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, of course there are stamps. And quite a variety of lodgings, ranging from "Schlaf im Stroh" to high-end resort hotels. The Via Jacobi is marked as Route 4 (https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland/route-04.html) and the hiking association has complete lodging lists available. Route guides in German are available from Conrad-Stein (the ubiquitous little yellow books). Gute Reise!

This will be my first time on Camino in Switzerland. In Spain and Portugal, I went to the bars, restaurants, lodgings etc. Is it different in Switzerland?

Thanks,
Larry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took mostly the pilgrim-specific places for the night.

Perhaps not all hotels und restaurants have stamps. You cannot compare the Via Jacobi or the VF through Switzerland to the caminos in Spain and Portugal. There are way less pilgrims. Yet I would say nearly all the chapels and churches, monasteries and albergues have stamps. And there are many on the Via Jacobi, more than on the VF, because a big part of the swiss section of the VF is the mountain ;-)

You will find the most wonderful stamps on the Via Jacobi (even if you stay in hotels for the night) for example at Einsiedeln Abbey, at the Pilgrim Chapel of Haggenegg, at the Monastery of Ingenbohl, at the Chapels in Flüeli Ranft, at the Albergue in Brienzwiler, at the entrance to the Beatus Caves, in the Cathedral of Fribourg, at the Albergue Paroisse St. Amedee in Lausanne (the stamp of the Cathedral in Lausanne is just simple :)), etc., etc.

On the swiss part of the VF (which is mountainous but short) the nicest stamps I got at the Abbey Saint Maurice, at the "Sigil. Parochiae Orsiarum" ;-) in Orsieres and of course at the Hospice du Grand St. Bernard on top of the mountain (which is by the way the most spiritual place I have seen in my life.

All the best & buen camino,
Andrea

Last edited:
In Spain and Portugal, I went to the bars, restaurants, lodgings etc. Is it different in Switzerland?
Every lodging has a stamp; if it is a hostel or otherwise pilgrim-oriented, it will have a pilgrim-themed graphic.Otherwise, it may simply resemble a return-address stamp. But a stamp is a stamp! In addition, some restaurants, some churches, many city halls (Rathaus) will have stamps. The German word for such a stamp is der Stempel. Gibt es eine Stempel, bitte? (Is there a stamp, please?)

Switzerland's route is quite lovely - please see daily posts in my blog (link in sig block).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back