• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Via Lusitana from the Algarve to Ourense/Galicia.

Pilger Franz

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis-Norte-Ingles-SdC; Francigena; Touron.; Bretagne; Lemovic.; Lana; Lusitana (Este)
In autumn I walked in the northern part of the Via Lusitana. I would like to give you informations about this wondeful way.

The Via was defined about ten years ago as a route through the countryside, mainly near to the spanish border, and it is (still) fairly unknown. It starts at the Algarve, touches Evora, Castelo Branco and Peso da Regua and ends in Ourense/Galicia. In Ourense the Via de la Plata leads to Santiago de Compostela (about 114 km ).

The Via Lusitana actually has no specific way signs but uses parts of other routes, e. g. Caminho Torres and Caminho Portugues Interior de Santiago. The application KOMOOT on the smartphone was a great help for me to find the way even without dedicated way marks.

A guide is available (in German): H. Hass Via Lusitana, OUTDOOR guide #230, 2. ed., 2017 - many maps and local informations (tourist offices, accomodations - where to stay, to eat, water spots, bus lines etc.) are very helpful (even without knowing about German language).

A separate list of accomodations (where to stay, to eat, fairly updated) is available here: http://www.jakobus-info.de/jakobuspilger/96-spain-lusitana.htm

In spring 2019 I will walk the southern part (this is the plan :)). Somebody interested??

Bom caminho!

Pilger Franz

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In autumn I walked in the northern part of the Via Lusitana. I would like to give you informations about this wondeful way.

The Via was defined about ten years ago as a route through the countryside, mainly near to the spanish border, and it is (still) fairly unknown. It starts at the Algarve, touches Evora, Castelo Branco and Peso da Regua and ends in Ourense/Galicia. In Ourense the Via de la Plata leads to Santiago de Compostela (about 114 km ).

The Via Lusitana actually has no specific way signs but uses parts of other routes, e. g. Caminho Torres and Caminho Portugues Interior de Santiago. The application KOMOOT on the smartphone was a great help for me to find the way even without dedicated way marks.

A guide is available (in German): H. Hass Via Lusitana, OUTDOOR guide #230, 2. ed., 2017 - many maps and local informations (tourist offices, accomodations - where to stay, to eat, water spots, bus lines etc.) are very helpful (even without knowing about German language).

A separate list of accomodations (where to stay, to eat, fairly updated) is available here: http://www.jakobus-info.de/jakobuspilger/96-spain-lusitana.htm

In spring 2019 I will walk the southern part (this is the plan :)). Somebody interested??

Bom caminho!

Pilger Franz
Thanks for posting this, Franz!

Bom Caminho next year :)

In spring 2019 I will walk the southern part
I did it! From Vila Real de Santo AntĂłnio to Castelo Branco in March/April. Weather was fine (mostly sunny, cool wind, not too warm, rain for just two days). Other pilgrims met: 1 (one).
H. Hass Via Lusitana, OUTDOOR guide #230, 2. ed., 2017
is available with updates (in German) and links to original portuguese websites.

This caminho (in Portugal) runs from South to North, distance about 100-150 kms away from and parallel to the Via de la Plata (in Spain).

Bom caminho!

Pilger Franz

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back