• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Podiensis April 2023 Itinerary Advice

Leigh Lorayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino del Norte Irun to Ribadasella (2016)
Camino Primitivo Oviedo to Santiago (2016)
I begin my Camino April 24. I am concerned about accommodation during the month of May because of the many French holidays. Should I book ahead? I have made a tentative schedule to Conques and would really appreciate comments and gite suggestions for those communities. I am 70 yrs, have walked 2 Caminos 7-8 years ago and am reasonable fit. I usually like to walk around 20 km/day. I realize this schedule has many shorter days. I am not in a hurry. I would welcome any suggestions where I might lengthen the days a little when the gradient isn't too demanding, and any stops where there are gites that pilgrims have enjoyed. Booking this far ahead is not my preference, but I am wondering if it might be wise in May?

Le Puy ------ Montbonnet
Montbonnet ------ Monistrol-d'Allier
Monistrol d'Allier ------ Saugues
Saugues ----- Le Sauvage
Le Sauvage ------ St. Alban sur Limagnole
St. Alban ------ Aumont - Aubrac ( ? La Ferme du Barry)
Aumont-Aubrac ------ Nasbinals ( a long day but 'green' gradient?)
Nasbinals------St. Chely-d'Aubrac
St. Chely-d'Aubrac ------ St. Come d'Olt
St. Come d'Olt ----- Estaing ( ?the terrain gradients look more demanding on this day)
Estaing ----- Golinhac ( ?Gite d'etape a la ferme l'Oree du Chemin)
Golinhac ----- Conques ( ? stay at the Abbey)

I am appreciative of any and all comments. I am so glad for this forum and the guidance it gives. Thanks so much!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I begin my Camino April 24. I am concerned about accommodation during the month of May because of the many French holidays. Should I book ahead? I have made a tentative schedule to Conques and would really appreciate comments and gite suggestions for those communities. I am 70 yrs, have walked 2 Caminos 7-8 years ago and am reasonable fit. I usually like to walk around 20 km/day. I realize this schedule has many shorter days. I am not in a hurry. I would welcome any suggestions where I might lengthen the days a little when the gradient isn't too demanding, and any stops where there are gites that pilgrims have enjoyed. Booking this far ahead is not my preference, but I am wondering if it might be wise in May?

Le Puy ------ Montbonnet
Saugues ----- Le Sauvage
St. Come d'Olt ----- Estaing ( ?the terrain gradients look more demanding on this day)

I am appreciative of any and all comments. I am so glad for this forum and the guidance it gives. Thanks so much!
I walked 8 years ago so in terms of booking I think others who have walked more recently would have better advice. I was 60 when I walked and I found it to be the toughest camino I ever walked, especially the first 10-14 days. I am soon to be 69 and even though I am in good shape it gets a little tougher as the years go on. When I walked I had no French, no telephone and only a really poor Michelin guide book that was nearly worthless to me. I had to rely on the gite owners to arrange a reservation for the next night. I did this every day. It worked out well but I had days that I walked that were really long. Days that I didn't see one shop or cafe open. A few days I ate nothing between breakfast and dinner. Take supplies every day. Hope you can speak French. Listen to your body and shorter is better for sure. You have time. Check Gronze.com get that Miam Miam Do Do guidebook. The lady in the pilgrim office in Paris begged me to buy it and I was an idiot. It is easy to follow even without knowing a word of French. You have to book ahead on the Le Puy Camino. How far out others would know much better than I. Also be careful to follow those GR markings. It is so beautiful and tranquil that I missed more than a few and added kilometers to my day on some occasions. I got lost on that camino way more than any of my other caminos put together.
Also I just noticed another thread like this one:
Check out what @jouffroy47 has written. She has walked this route many times. I am sure she has some excellent information.

Last edited:
Your stages look good to me. Iā€™ve walked longer stages from Le Puy, but next time (probably later this year) i expect iā€™ll walk the same as you or very similar. Sauvage is very popular so be prepared to book elsewhere. Ferme du Barry also, but there other good options in town. There are also good options before Nasbinals so you could make the day a bit shorter.
Yes May is busy. You may well be ok not booking, but itā€™s probably prudent to do so.
Iā€™ve walked on the via Podiensis a few times in September which is also a busy month. I book the first 3 days, then book ahead for 2 or 3 days normally. But if i was walking in May i think iā€™d try book them all ahead.
You donā€™t need to speak French, i donā€™t and have managed just fine, with bookings and with communal meals.
Most places have email addresses. I booked most of mine that way last year. i used Google translate. And included the French (top of email) and English so the hosts would get that iā€™m an English speaker.
When i rang places to stay iā€™d have my request written down in French.
Hello, do you have a bed for this evening (or tomorrow evening). With demi pension.
My name is ā€¦
My phone number is ā€¦
I have found that quite a few hosts speak enough English to at least take a booking.
And often if i try speaking French they realise that iā€™m an English speaker and start talking in English to help mešŸ˜€

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Le Puy ------ Montbonnet
Saugues ----- Le Sauvage

This is very similar to the schedule my husband and I walked in September 2019. We were in our late 60s. Instead of stopping in Saugues we walked on for another two hours or so and spent the night on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Then spent the night in St Alban.
La Ferme du Barry is great. So is gƮte Saint -AndrƩ in St ChƩly.
When I called the Abbey in Conques I was told that it was a first-come basis and we didnā€™t want to feel rushed so stayed elsewhere, that may have changed.
I called ahead to reserve every day, but I feel like the trail has gotten much busier now, so I would definitely recommend reserving ahead. We plan to do the walk again, starting in mid April, and will do so.
If you stay in larger gĆ®tes dā€™Ć©tapes I donā€™t think youā€™ll have trouble with not speaking French, if you donā€™t. We do speak French, and stayed at a couple of places in the countryside where the farmers did not speak English. But I think more English-speakers are walking in France now.

Le Puy ------ Montbonnet
Saugues ----- Le Sauvage

I am 78 and starting from Le Puy on 13 April. As an old guy I have scheduled my stops as close to 20km a day as possible. I have booked all of my accommodations. I learned on my first Camino, 2015, the advantage of booking ahead. Buen Camino.

Your itinerary looks almost the same as what I did back in 2014. I didnā€™t book ahead or even call ahead until after Le Sauvage, and you may not need to either unless you plan to have your meal at the gĆ®te, in which case you need to at least call the morning of your planned stay to make sure they have room and so they know how much food to prepare. You should have an advanced reservation at Le Sauvage, however, because they are the only place around for several kilometers and they book up fast. I discovered that when I arrived and they had no room, so I had to call around to B&Bs and found a place. After that I starting calling in the morning to make sure I would have a bed, unless it was a municipal gĆ®te or campground. The abbey at Conques also was not a problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I do not think you need to book ahead, but the day before your arrival.
Regarding your schedule, here are my comments:
Le Puy ------ Montbonnet: it is a short day, quite wise for a first day (starting from Le Puy, you will climb a bit).
Montbonnet ------ Monistrol-d'Allier: again a short day, with arrival close to the river.
Monistrol d'Allier ------ Saugues: Saugues is worth being seen.
Saugues ----- Le Sauvage: This is harder because nearly 20km climbing. For Le Sauvage, perhaps you should book two days before. The dinner is nice, and the building is a former templar farm, a nice curiosity. But I suggest not to buy the food bag they sell for the picnic: it is overrated.
Le Sauvage ------ St. Alban sur Limagnole: again a short journey.
St. Alban ------ Aumont - Aubrac ( ? La Ferme du Barry): la Ferme du Barry is a good idea, especially if you want to try "aligot", a speciality of the area. Take care: it can be a bit hard to digest !
Aumont-Aubrac ------ Nasbinals ( a long day but 'green' gradient?): yes, it is a long day, but I do not see where you can stop between... Some people used to sleep in "Les Gentianes", but it is lost in nature... Nasbinals is nice.
Nasbinals------St. Chely-d'Aubrac: classical step. St Chely disappointed me a bit but probably it's me.
St. Chely-d'Aubrac ------ St. Come d'Olt: St Come d'Olt is a nice village: do not miss the bell tower !
St. Come d'Olt ----- Estaing ( ?the terrain gradients look more demanding on this day): you can follow the river if you want a flatter itinerary. Take care when leaving St Come d'Olt: 2 GR separate here, do not forget to turn right after the bridge in order to follow the GR65.
Estaing ----- Golinhac ( ?Gite d'etape a la ferme l'Oree du Chemin): stopping before Golinhac, at l'Oree du Chemin might be a good idea. Otherwise in Golinhac there is now a gite with nice dinner.
Golinhac ----- Conques ( ? stay at the Abbey): classical step again. Choose the Abbey (Ste Foy) only if you do not fear the crowd... but the advantage is that it is very close to the beautiful church (do not miss the portal illumination).

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice! Last night when I was writing and researching I was feeling discouraged and worried about accommodation in May and wondering if I should choose a different CAMINO. You have renewed my hope and even though there may be obstacles I will begin booking. If I run into some roadblocks I may be back for more suggestions! I am so grateful to everyone for taking time to respond.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back