• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Podiensis in winter

Sven Kaven

writer, photographer and mindfulness teacher
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi my dear Pilgrim friend,

I have decided to walk the Via Podiensis, starting mid January 2023. Saint Jean Pied de Port will be half time for a day or two and then I will continue to Santiago and down to Porto.

I have taken up some French lessons, so I can communicate at least the basic stuff in the local language. I am actually looking forward to learn French 🇫🇷. 😊

Now, my question ist concerning the weather on that part of the way. I have experienced my first winter walk in 2019/2020, where I also met the wonderful Andy from Camino Ninja (unfortunately, much too early departed from this beautiful earth) on the Camino Frances. So, there is a bit of winter knowhow. However, has anybody on the forum done the Via Podiensis in the winter and what was your experience of the way?

Perhaps, you can give me some insides. Otherwise, I am also quite okay, with just making my first step into the unknown. ❤️

Kind regards.
Sven

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I have decided to walk the Via Podiensis, starting mid January 2023. Saint Jean Pied de Port will be half time for a day or two and then I will continue to Santiago and down to Porto.

I have taken up some French lessons, so I can communicate at least the basic stuff in the local language. I am actually looking forward to learn French 🇫🇷. 😊

Now, my question ist concerning the weather on that part of the way. I have experienced my first winter walk in 2019/2020, where I also met the wonderful Andy from Camino Ninja (unfortunately, much too early departed from this beautiful earth) on the Camino Frances. So, there is a bit of winter knowhow. However, has anybody on the forum done the Via Podiensis in the winter and what was your experience of the way?

Perhaps, you can give me some insides. Otherwise, I am also quite okay, with just making my first step into the unknown. ❤️

Kind regards.
Sven
Be prepared for snow, especially in the Aubrac, and many gites d'etape to be closed. You may find yourself walking along the road much of the time. It would be wise to call ahesd even places that are "open all year" as I had problems starting in mid-October a few years back. A guy that did a portion of it last year in early February brought snow shoes/skis. You will probably need at least cleats, the first portion [as far as Conques] being quite hilly with lots of ups and downs. It can be trecherous in inclement weather, ice and snow. January and February are definitely off-season, the season really beginning in April and running through the first week in October.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Kind regards.
Sven
Bonjour Sven, as others have said ... be prepared for snow especially at the higher elevations [Margeride, Aubrac] and lots of road walking. You may find that you need to stay mostly in hotels / auberges. Bon courage!

Be prepared for snow, especially in the Aubrac, and many gites d'etape to be closed. You may find yourself walking along the road much of the time. It would be wise to call ahesd even places that are "open all year" as I had problems starting in mid-October a few years back. A guy that did a portion of it last year in early February brought snow shoes/skis. You will probably need at least cleats, the first portion [as far as Conques] being quite hilly with lots of ups and downs. It can be trecherous in inclement weather, ice and snow. January and February are definitely off-season, the season really beginning in April and running through the first week in October.
dear jouffroy47, many thanks for your direct answer and sharing your experience. Perhaps a good thing might be to call up a few albergues before my walk, just to see, if I have a place to sleep. The weather is fine and here I know helps, to simply have the right gear on.

Thanks so much.
Sven

Bonjour Sven, as others have said ... be prepared for snow especially at the higher elevations [Margeride, Aubrac] and lots of road walking. You may find that you need to stay mostly in hotels / auberges. Bon courage!
Thanks so much to answer straight to my question. I love snow, so that is not going to stop me. In fact, I am looking forward to this type of walk in the winter. Walking into the spring is just a wonderful thing to do...

Thanks so much again.
Ultreia, Sven

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So, I have done a bit more research and came to the conclusion: To walk the Via Podiensis in the winter is for me. I gonna start in Le Puy 1. Jan. 2023, all the way to Porto, with a brief walk to Finisterre.

Ultreia et Suseia. ❤️🥾🥾⛄
Bon Chemin! As others have said, in winter there are sections where I would be walking the road rather than the path. Difficult terrain, and way marking is not always good. The route crosses sparsely populated areas and It feels remote in parts, with few services. Expect to carry food for several days unless you have arranged accommodation with demi-pension, or you are certain that there will be shops and that they will be open.

One of the major stops on the Le Puy route is the Abbey of Saint Foy at Conques/ Abbatiale Sainte-Foy de Conques. Begun in 1040 it is a Romanesque masterpiece. Heavily mutilated during the French Revolution it was declared a national historic monument in 1840 and over the recent centuries slowly restored. In 1998 it was added to UNESCO's World Hertitage List.

For those of us who love architecture to stay at Conques and slowly visit these abbey structures is a unforgettable experience. Believe me Conques is frigid in winter but blissfully tourist free.

Here is a
fictional account re Conques and Le Puy by fellow forum member Robertt that you might enjoy.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I loved my stay at the beautiful Abbey Saint Foy. They leave a few rooms open for walk-ins and my two friends and I were able to snag one of them without a reservation in 2018. Not sure if that policy has changed since then.

Kind regards.
Sven
Hi Sven, I consider myself to walk the Via Podiensis this November/December. So I cannot help you in anyway but I would be very grateful if you could talk to me about your experience. As I am here just by chance I ask you to reply to eugen@prehsler.at With very best regards and my respects, Eugen

Kind regards.
Sven
Hi Sven, did you walk it in winter? I would be very happy to get some advise from you as I plan to walk the Via Podiensis in November/December this year.
Thank you for your help and I hope you had another great experience for your life.
Eugen, Vienna/Austria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back