• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vía Serrana/Augusta: which path from Utrera to Seville?

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
For the last stage of the Vía Serrana from Utrera to Seville (also the last stage of the Vía Augusta), there are two different routes: one via Dos Hermanas (the western-most one on the map) and the other via Alcalá de Guadaira (the eastern-most one).

Does anyone have any insight on either of these routes and which one might be preferable?

5725FB9F-1FBF-4000-810D-34F636D15415.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
it is hard to tell on the map itself, but I can tell you entering via Bellavista sounds more promising, you would walk along Avenida de la Palmera, a broad avenue with lots of trees (and wild parrots that have taken over the whole area), big mansions, until you make it to the river and Parque Maria Luisa. That is the final stretch, and sounds more promising than coming in via traffic loaded Nervion.

I do not know about the stretch from Utrera to Bellavista, the stretch I just described will be with you only for the last 4 or 5 km.

If I was doing this I would go through Alcalá de Guadaira then follow the canal (as shown on the map) but I wouldn't leave the canal, I'd follow it until it meets the motorway between Montequinto and the University Pedro de Olavide. Then I'd turn right, past the metro station and follow the cycle track into town. I think this is the "official" route, I know for a fact there are yellow arrows on it leading up Avendia de la Paz and on to San Bernardo. The way this map sends you looks like a lot of industrial zones.

Where did you get this map from?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If I was doing this I would go through Alcalá de Guadaira then follow the canal (as shown on the map) but I wouldn't leave the canal, I'd follow it until it meets the motorway between Montequinto and the University Pedro de Olavide. Then I'd turn right, past the metro station and follow the cycle track into town. I think this is the "official" route, I know for a fact there are yellow arrows on it leading up Avendia de la Paz and on to San Bernardo. The way this map sends you looks like a lot of industrial zones.
Thanks for this advice, this is exactly what I did. The arrows clearly take you from the river to the canal and to the university. From the university, official waymarking arrows stop but there are some painted arrows to guide you past the big interchange and into the outskirts of town.

Thanks for this advice, this is exactly what I did. The arrows clearly take you from the river to the canal and to the university. From the university, official waymarking arrows stop but there are some painted arrows to guide you past the big interchange and into the outskirts of town.
Glad it went well. I think this is the nicest way to get into town, despite some areas with a lot if litter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for this - comments have been added to my notes, although whether I'm brave enough next Sunday to divert from wherever the GPX takes me remains to be seen.

Thanks for this - comments have been added to my notes, although whether I'm brave enough next Sunday to divert from wherever the GPX takes me remains to be seen.
As it turned out I followed the GPX from Utrera to Seville - via Dos Hermanos, past the new University and a rather pleasant stroll to the Cathedral to finish where I started the VDLP last November. Will post a summary on the Via Augusta page.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I was doing this I would go through Alcalá de Guadaira then follow the canal (as shown on the map) but I wouldn't leave the canal, I'd follow it until it meets the motorway between Montequinto and the University Pedro de Olavide. Then I'd turn right, past the metro station and follow the cycle track into town
I may be missing something, but looking at Nick's map with the two options, I just can't find Montequinto and the University Pedro de Olavide. Is the motorway you're referring to the A-376?

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back