• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Tolosana Arles to Puenta la Reina

brianpringle

Has anyone on this forum undertaken this route?

It seems that the main restricting factor is lack of accommodation, and a comment from anyone who has walked this route recently would be welcome. It appears to be no more strenuous than the route Le Puy to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, but a comment on that as well would be welcome.

THANKS!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've just done the stretch from Toulouse on, through Auch, Pau and over the Pyrenees to Jaca, thence west to Puenta la Reina in Navarre. The French stretch was not well-marked in 2005, although locals were friendly and helpful. It is not used much by pilgrims and in September, 2005, I do not think that I saw a dozen pilgrims in as many days. The countryside is gently rolling and is a great walk, with lots of remarkable churches in the villages. I'd do it again in a trice.

Accommodation is easily available, but it is not pilgrim-specific. Hikers gites are quite common and pilgrim-friendly, and there are plenty of inns, b&bs and hotels. However, costs are greater than in Spain and pilgrims will need to be very careful not to spend 10-20E per day more than in Spain. As well, English is not spoken everywhere and you will find the capacity to operate in French will be very helpful indeed. Noe that many small villages have no facilities at all other than water, including cafés or grocery stores.

The Camino Aragonese, in Spain, to Puenta la Reina in Navarre is covered in that section of the Board.

We just completed the Arles to just short of Toulouse part of this route. I posted a more detailed reply on this board in the Arles forum. The Arles route is substantially more strenuous and isolated than the Le Puy route, at least for the Arles to Toulouse part. There is rarely a village or town where you can get lunch, so buy food for several days of lunches. The climbs up out of Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert and out of Saint-Martin d'Orb are much more demanding than anything on the Le Puy route. That being said, it is certainly doable. I'm 72, my wife 67, and we enjoyed the climb. Out of St Guilhem it was a true high mountain trail like we would find on our California Pacific Crest Trail. I put all our thoughts together on an Arles page on our website:
http://www.backpack45.com/camino2p4.html

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...
I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back