• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Tolosana Food and Drinks on the way?

Paul-CH

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Vía Francigena Canterbury to Gd. St. Bernard
I will start April 3rd in Arles and go all the way to Puente la Reina. If I can stick to my plan it will take 46 days. I used Miam Miam Dodo and Gronze in order to check for Restaurants and Shops on the way. So on some days it will be lonesome and not much to buy. Any hints about if I should stay in Anoyé, or go the the next possible village?
Thanks for your hints. Paul

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband and I did this in spring of 2018. The trail from Montpellier to Castres is fairly difficult. Be sure you understand the altitude gain and loss. Some parts are steep and very rocky. It’s a beautiful trail, but quite remote. Some trail finding skills are a plus. The villages between stops will not likely have food, and usually not water. Weekends and holidays will close down everything in the village, so you really need to be prepared with food. We never went hungry, but sometimes were srambling to get day end bakery goods before they closed, or get to a store to buy supplies. I think every village that has accommodation has a restaurant.

Castres makes a great rest stop, and after Castres the trail becomes easier. It’s better on resources, but still thin on the ground. Just before Revel, you come to a beautiful and quaint village called Soreze. It’s well-worth a half-day stop at the monastery to see the Musee Dom Robert. You can look him up. He created absolutely incredible tapestries, based on natural subjects. At least look on line to see if something you’d be interested in viewing. Soreze has stores and restaurants too. We loved the Arles for it’s natural beauty and solitude, but before reaching Somport Pass we saw very few pilgrims. Crossing the Pyrenees (4,000’ climb) was a steady climb and seemed easy after negotiating the ups and downs of the previous trail.

The Spanish side is a completely different environment, in terms of nature. Whereas France is wet and green, Spain is dry and adobe, Some parts reminded me of the badlands. The villages are ancient and picturesque. They will be empty, and not have much food, but there are small albergues and they usually supply meals. Be sure to stop at the haunting ruined monastery at Eunate. We weren’t allowed to stay there, but spent a couple hours just enjoying the peace.

We ended at Puente de la Reina. This camino is one of the most beautiful for it’s ancient, unchanged villages and natural surroundings that I’ve been on.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will start April 3rd in Arles and go all the way to Puente la Reina. If I can stick to my plan it will take 46 days. I used Miam Miam Dodo and Gronze in order to check for Restaurants and Shops on the way. So on some days it will be lonesome and not much to buy. Any hints about if I should stay in Anoyé, or go the the next possible village?
Thanks for your hints. Paul
I have walked this in 2014 and 2018.
There was an excellent private Gite in Anoye but I think it is now closed
The Gite run by volunteers has a small store although we did carry food for the night
Again I’m not sure whether it’s still running
Use MMDD and ring

I have walked this in 2014 and 2018.
There was an excellent private Gite in Anoye but I think it is now closed
The Gite run by volunteers has a small store although we did carry food for the night
Again I’m not sure whether it’s still running
Use MMDD and ring
Thanks, in MMDD and Gronze I found the "Gîte d'étape communal de Anoye". Where you can cook your own food and wash and dry your clothes. I will plan a few days in advance and see what is available.

My husband and I did this in spring of 2018. The trail from Montpellier to Castres is fairly difficult. Be sure you understand the altitude gain and loss. Some parts are steep and very rocky. It’s a beautiful trail, but quite remote. Some trail finding skills are a plus. The villages between stops will not likely have food, and usually not water. Weekends and holidays will close down everything in the village, so you really need to be prepared with food. We never went hungry, but sometimes were srambling to get day end bakery goods before they closed, or get to a store to buy supplies. I think every village that has accommodation has a restaurant.

Castres makes a great rest stop, and after Castres the trail becomes easier. It’s better on resources, but still thin on the ground. Just before Revel, you come to a beautiful and quaint village called Soreze. It’s well-worth a half-day stop at the monastery to see the Musee Dom Robert. You can look him up. He created absolutely incredible tapestries, based on natural subjects. At least look on line to see if something you’d be interested in viewing. Soreze has stores and restaurants too. We loved the Arles for it’s natural beauty and solitude, but before reaching Somport Pass we saw very few pilgrims. Crossing the Pyrenees (4,000’ climb) was a steady climb and seemed easy after negotiating the ups and downs of the previous trail.

The Spanish side is a completely different environment, in terms of nature. Whereas France is wet and green, Spain is dry and adobe, Some parts reminded me of the badlands. The villages are ancient and picturesque. They will be empty, and not have much food, but there are small albergues and they usually supply meals. Be sure to stop at the haunting ruined monastery at Eunate. We weren’t allowed to stay there, but spent a couple hours just enjoying the peace.

We ended at Puente de la Reina. This camino is one of the most beautiful for it’s ancient, unchanged villages and natural surroundings that I’ve been on.
Thanks for your very good description of the pilgrim way. And the things I should have time to look at it. The up and downs in the mountains will be no problem for me, as I do a lot of trail running in the Swiss alps for training. I am used to go for 30 and more kilometres a day with little food, but I like to eat the missing calories in the evening. Or on the way if there are any opportunities. I will keep in mind to analyse the MMDD for the next one or two following days.
In Spain I plan to visit the Antiguo Monstreio de San Juan de la Peña with an extra millages.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sounds like you’re well-prepared. It should be no problem for an experienced hiker. As you know, many along the CF are not.

Sounds like you’re well-prepared. It should be no problem for an experienced hiker. As you know, many along the CF are not.
I know that fact. On my first 3000km camino from Konstanz 🇩🇪 to Santiago de Compostela 🇪🇸 and down to Porto 🇵🇹 I was carrying my 15l backpack with 6.5kg including 1L water. Untrained people where carry huge and heavy backpacks.

We stayed in Anoye in 2018. The small store in the Gite sold food that you can make a decent meal with. The night we stayed there the Gite was just about full.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your very good description of the pilgrim way. And the things I should have time to look at it. The up and downs in the mountains will be no problem for me, as I do a lot of trail running in the Swiss alps for training. I am used to go for 30 and more kilometres a day with little food, but I like to eat the missing calories in the evening. Or on the way if there are any opportunities. I will keep in mind to analyse the MMDD for the next one or two following days.
In Spain I plan to visit the Antiguo Monstreio de San Juan de la Peña with an extra millages.
Paul-CH,
You must be quite excited as your April departure date is soon. Do post when you can as to what you have seen/found. You certainly will enjoy San Juan de la Peña; it is indeed superb.

Stay safe and Buen camino.

Last edited:
I had not too many problems in this respect, despite being impoverished, on my 2005 -- but some village eateries may have gone bust from covid. You might need to carry some food in your pack -- pain de campagne, charcuteries (pâté, terrine !!), dry sausages, cheeses -- and some fruits, tomatoes, whatnot as may be feasible. Carrots that have never been refrigerated are great for backpacking, but have sadly become rather hard to find.

But then I was still pretty fast in those days -- 30-40K daily -- which made the supply points closer rather than farther.

One important trick -- rather than follow the waymarks absolutely, instead try and walk village to village, and parish to parish. Food is much less of a problem if you do so (sandwiches become more frequent) -- and you would have better experiences with locals that way, and it would be closer to the Arles Pilgrim Way of Saint James as such, rather than the hikers' route that too much of it has been turned into.

The trail from Montpellier to Castres is fairly difficult. Be sure you understand the altitude gain and loss. Some parts are steep and very rocky. It’s a beautiful trail, but quite remote.
That's mostly until you understand that the GR waymarkers have been designed for hikers, not pilgrims.

Certainly, the passage out from Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert until you get close to Lodève is tough, but it's amazing up there, and the final stretch into Lodève is a pure joy of greenery and downhill ease !!

But what I've found on the Arles Way, more than elsewhere, is that the small local tarmac road variants are frequently the better solution than some mad detours crossing mountains, ridges, and bare wildernesses.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, if you prefer road walking, it will definitely be easier. We favor trails over roads by a wide margin.

We stayed in Anoye in 2018. The small store in the Gite sold food that you can make a decent meal with. The night we stayed there the Gite was just about full.
Thanks, I hope early in the year at May 1st I will find a place. I will make a reservation in advance.

Yes, if you prefer road walking, it will definitely be easier. We favor trails over roads by a wide margin.
Thanks. As trail runner I love to be in nature more then on the tarmac. As for my condition I have no doubt.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had not too many problems in this respect, despite being impoverished, on my 2005 -- but some village eateries may have gone bust from covid. You might need to carry some food in your pack -- pain de campagne, charcuteries (pâté, terrine !!), dry sausages, cheeses -- and some fruits, tomatoes, whatnot as may be feasible. Carrots that have never been refrigerated are great for backpacking, but have sadly become rather hard to find.

But then I was still pretty fast in those days -- 30-40K daily -- which made the supply points closer rather than farther.

One important trick -- rather than follow the waymarks absolutely, instead try and walk village to village, and parish to parish. Food is much less of a problem if you do so (sandwiches become more frequent) -- and you would have better experiences with locals that way, and it would be closer to the Arles Pilgrim Way of Saint James as such, rather than the hikers' route that too much of it has been turned into.
Wow. 30-40k daily is much. I prefer to take it more easy with an average of 24k a day. This will give me the time for photo shops and see more things in the villages. So I forced to carry some emergency food, which will put more weight to my 20L backpack.

Paul-CH,
You must be quite excited as your April departure date is soon. Do post when you can as to what you have seen/found. You certainly will enjoy San Juan de la Peña; it is indeed superb.

Stay safe and Buen camino.
As I had to wait two years, I thought it is time now to get prepared and go for my camino in April.
Yes I will do some post here to. Otherwise I have my own blog https://elcaminohike.wordpress.com/

Wow. 30-40k daily is much.
Yep -- though nowadays, it's more like 5 to 20 !! :p

The 1994 from Paris was even crazier -- my daily average for the whole 1,800K (rest days included) was 42K/day o_Oo_Oo_O

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Finally I am finished my packing all in a 20L backpack. I added my packing list, so you may see how less someone needs on a pilgrims route. Three years ago I did use a 15L backpack, but had nearly no space for food. Tomorrow I start my long train ride do the south of France. It looks like I am one of the rare starting at Arles in April.

Attachments

• PackingList_2022_engl.pdf
    236 KB · Views: 28
Finally I am finished my packing all in a 20L backpack. I added my packing list, so you may see how less someone needs on a pilgrims route. Three years ago I did use a 15L backpack, but had nearly no space for food. Tomorrow I start my long train ride do the south of France. It looks like I am one of the rare starting at Arles in April.
Interesting boot choice. I didn't know Hanwag made boots specifically for people with bunions.

HanWag is a german product from Hans Wagner: Product description:
Finally, a solution for hiking with bunions – the hallux valgus version Tatra Light GTX Bunion provides additional space for the ball of the foot to prevent pressure points. In addition, this particularly lightweight boot is manufactured according to the latest developments in anatomic hiking footwear construction. The lower stack height allows the foot to sit deeper in the boot for additional grip and stability on rugged trails. And thanks to the waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX lining, this superb all-rounder will keep your feet reliably dry in all conditions. 1270g Size EU 43

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My first day started at Arles 8am only 3°C and some Mistral. I went the way along the petit Rhône, it is aproximadamente 2 km longer, but has much more path then tarmac. We were three pilgrims at the hostel. And I did meet two groups of seven and three on the causeway. So I am not alone. As soon as I left Arles, there was no possibility to buy anything along the wayThe sun was shining and it started to warm up,
Bon Camino 😇

Attachments

• CEE13A56-B6E6-4167-ACB9-0F102D517343.jpeg
    CEE13A56-B6E6-4167-ACB9-0F102D517343.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • 8AA53E7A-6854-4B33-880F-AA710EE409D5.jpeg
    8AA53E7A-6854-4B33-880F-AA710EE409D5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • E811CAE3-BFB1-41B2-B1F4-8C0EC40F036A.jpeg
    E811CAE3-BFB1-41B2-B1F4-8C0EC40F036A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 823380A2-110F-4761-9ECB-BA4F83186ADB.jpeg
    823380A2-110F-4761-9ECB-BA4F83186ADB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Second day. 2°C at 8:30am but warming up to 13°C walking with short sleeves. Not much variety on the way to Vauvert. No supply in between. The same „problem“ on the way to Gallargues-le-Montueux. A total of 34km today. Buon Camino 😇

Attachments

• 453F97DC-8AEB-4697-AFBF-948B586040D7.jpeg
    453F97DC-8AEB-4697-AFBF-948B586040D7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • C43C50E1-D04F-4902-B724-3C467F63DF70.jpeg
    C43C50E1-D04F-4902-B724-3C467F63DF70.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 0A7FC037-7E46-4174-BFBD-3E7FE3152E4D.jpeg
    0A7FC037-7E46-4174-BFBD-3E7FE3152E4D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Third day. Still freezing 🥶 in the night, but warmed up in ☀️ daytime. Another 29km
to go to Vendargues. To bad the Chambres d’Hôutes Restaurant L‘Escampe at Satuargues wasn’t open today. Need to check in advance. But at Saint-Christol I found a grocery store to buy salami 🍺 and a bakery for bread. And had lunch on a bench. At Castries I used a nice shortcut Chemin de la Monnaie to Vendargues.

Attachments

• A211CF59-5542-413E-B6A5-57A42CBDB297.jpeg
    A211CF59-5542-413E-B6A5-57A42CBDB297.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • E7632132-E94F-4065-99A4-6DA42A9B8EEB.jpeg
    E7632132-E94F-4065-99A4-6DA42A9B8EEB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • E7043FB4-153E-4609-909F-3D9514BC16E0.jpeg
    E7043FB4-153E-4609-909F-3D9514BC16E0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 185C12E4-749D-48C3-AB28-54E606254134.jpeg
    185C12E4-749D-48C3-AB28-54E606254134.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fourth day. Weather 8°C cloudy. Not much to say. Only approximately 12km walking. Food snd drinks at Castelnau-Le-Lez or later at Montpellier. Great old town. Much to explore.

Attachments

• FB572137-E976-439F-9D45-19C960B9F021.jpeg
    FB572137-E976-439F-9D45-19C960B9F021.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • A4AA0BF4-173E-4818-B74E-5DDDF34D3256.jpeg
    A4AA0BF4-173E-4818-B74E-5DDDF34D3256.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 12E73AF0-11C2-4E32-A426-FE764E24284C.jpeg
    12E73AF0-11C2-4E32-A426-FE764E24284C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 50BA4344-73E0-4A2F-A8D4-3785B5C42167.jpeg
    50BA4344-73E0-4A2F-A8D4-3785B5C42167.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Day five Montpellier to Montarnaud. There are a fee options at Grabels for supply. I used the GR653 signs out of town and it leads on some small paths towards Grabels. A little bit uphill before the downhill to Montarnaud. Cloudy 🌥 12°C

Day six Montarnaud to Saint-Guilhem-Le-Désert. Shortly out of town it climbs. Watch carefully for the waymarks, supplies in a small shop at La Boissière. Next beautiful
Aniane (a must see town) supply 🍺🍽🍷🍦
Saint-Jean-de-Fos (a bit of the track but near) Restaurants 🍺🍽🍷
Saint-Guilhem-Le-Désert (a must see town) Restaurants🍺🍽🍷🍦

Day seven Saint-Guilhem-Le-Désert to Saint-Jean-De-La-Blaquière a very nice track uphill for a while and down to
Arboras 🍺🍽🍷
Nothing between on the way to Saint-Jean-De-La-Blaquière anymore. 🍺🍽🍷depends on the hours.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Day eight from Saint-Jean-De-La-Blaquière to Lodève. I had troubles to find the way out of the village. On my GPS track where no markers. Once I found it, it was easy to follow.

Sorry no supply on the way. You find water at Usclas-Du-Bosc and Soumont.
La Canane 🍽 very close to Soumont wasn’t open

On the way you may visit the Prieuré Saint-Michel de Grandmont (12 cycle)
More pictures on my german blog. https://elcaminohike.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• EBAC37F8-9632-4098-8BAD-5E03AC07AC4E.jpeg
    EBAC37F8-9632-4098-8BAD-5E03AC07AC4E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Day eight from Saint-Jean-De-La-Blaquière to Lodève.
Lodève is an essential resupply point !!

FAR too late I know, but a (waymarked) shortcut to Lunas (after "Puech Garde") is better than the exhausting and unnecessary detour via Joncels !!

After Lunas, resupply issues exactly caused me to just DIY Le Bousquet-d'Orb > La Tour-sur-l'Orb > Saint-Étienne-Estrechoux > Saint-Gervais-sur-Mare.

Afterwards IIRC (and if things haven't changed too much), things do get easier. Maybe get some food for carrying in your backpack at Anglès ? From Boissezon onwards especially, you'll be fine !!

Lodève is an essential resupply point !!

FAR too late I know, but a (waymarked) shortcut to Lunas (after "Puech Garde") is better than the exhausting and unnecessary detour via Joncels !!

After Lunas, resupply issues exactly caused me to just DIY Le Bousquet-d'Orb > La Tour-sur-l'Orb > Saint-Étienne-Estrechoux > Saint-Gervais-sur-Mare.

Afterwards IIRC (and if things haven't changed too much), things do get easier. Maybe get some food for carrying in your backpack at Anglès ? From Boissezon onwards especially, you'll be fine !!
Hi JabbaPapa, I can’t complain. I had less than fife hours from Lodève to Lunas on the GR653 28km without other food than chocolate. The only thing I missed was a beer 🍺 on the track. Not even in Joncels anything to buy.
For tomorrow I will carry some french bread with salami.
I am not a roadrunner but a trailrunner and having fun on up and down.

Attachments

• 2EF9AA8B-59BC-4BD0-8A30-FEC826100734.jpeg
    2EF9AA8B-59BC-4BD0-8A30-FEC826100734.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 3FB729BF-810F-4FF5-8CBC-9B84028F1869.jpeg
    3FB729BF-810F-4FF5-8CBC-9B84028F1869.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 91F4B81E-116B-4A94-AB36-78DD8E6D14C8.jpeg
    91F4B81E-116B-4A94-AB36-78DD8E6D14C8.jpeg
    852.9 KB · Views: 3
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Day ten Lunas to St. Gervais-Sur-Mare. NO SUPPLY after Le Bousquet-d’Orb for the next 20km 1000m altitude gain. At Mècle you will find the first drinking water fountain to refill. Go 3km more to St. Gervais-Sur-Mare to get your 🍺🍽. But NOT much choice here for food depending on the day. Totally 29km 5:20h

Attachments

• 0DFD2F1D-A98B-41B5-BA66-253A0DFDA519.jpeg
    0DFD2F1D-A98B-41B5-BA66-253A0DFDA519.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 8CF20F6C-3855-4C73-B82D-191B9EB56F5D.jpeg
    8CF20F6C-3855-4C73-B82D-191B9EB56F5D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 16BCC9E1-8686-488B-81D9-F0DE30E532E0.jpeg
    16BCC9E1-8686-488B-81D9-F0DE30E532E0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Day 11 St. Gervais-Sur-Mare - Murat-Sur-Vèbre

No supply on the way, except at La Ferme du Devès 🏠 a Gîte where I got a 🍺

Day 12 Murat-Sur-Vèbre - La Salvetat-Sur-Agout

No supply on the way, except at La Moutouse 🏠 a Gîte. Water 💦 refill at the Église Notre-Dame de Villelongue.

Day 13

La Salvetat-Sur-Agout - Anglès
No supply on the way as usual.
Water 💦 refill at the at Refuge Salavert approximately 11km

Day 14

Anglès — Boissezon
No supply on the way as usual. But don’t be surprised when there are no Bar, 🍺🍷Restaurant or anything at Boissezon too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 13
don’t be surprised when there are no Bar, 🍺🍷Restaurant or anything at Boissezon too.
Ah !! That is a very unhappy change ... :(

Easter Sunday and Monday are likely to be difficult regardless "normal" circumstances ... hope you find some solution or other.

As I am naturally worried about my fellow pilgrim, might I suggest that you download and use the mapy.cz app ?

Its "outdoor" tab/mode shows hiking trails and icons for bars, restaurants, shops, ATMs, and so on.

Last edited:
Ah !! That is a very unhappy change ... :(

Easter Sunday and Monday are likely to be difficult regardless "normal" circumstances ... hope you find some solution or other.

As I am naturally worried about my fellow pilgrim, might I suggest that you download and use the mapy.cz app ?

Its "outdoor" tab/mode shows hiking trails and icons for bars, restaurants, shops, ATMs, and so on.
Thanks, I have enough apps and Apple/Google Maps. But it will not help, as many restaurants didn’t survive COVID-19, long time with no customer.
I use MMD but even there are not all information correct.

Courage! This must be quite daunting. One of the pleasures of the walk is the prospect of food and drink at a local cafe. Very sad how local towns and villages everywhere have diminished.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Courage! This must be quite daunting. One of the pleasures of the walk is the prospect of food and drink at a local cafe. Very sad how local towns and villages everywhere have diminished.
Yes, that's right. I have actually encountered only very friendly hosts in the gîtes and could not complain about the food offered. But if you find during 20km, except the beautiful nature, nothing to drink 🍺🍷 it makes the day harder. 😇

They were already sparse on that particular part of that Way even in 2005. These village places in France started vanishing back in the 1980s ...

Day 15

Boissezon - Castres

supply at Hostellerie d'Oc Noailhac
Water 💦 refill at the at Saint-Hippolyte

Everything at Castres. 🍺🍽🍷

Day 16

Castres - Dourgne
Supply at Viviers-Lès-Montagnes UTIL Supermarket

Water 💦 refill at the at Viviers-Lès-Montagne and at Église Saint-Jean before Les Moulin de Saint-Jean

Dourgne Restaurants Bakery Meat market

Buon Camino 😇

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Day 15

Boissezon - Castres

supply at Hostellerie d'Oc Noailhac
Water 💦 refill at the at Saint-Hippolyte

Everything at Castres. 🍺🍽🍷

Day 16

Castres - Dourgne
Supply at Viviers-Lès-Montagnes UTIL Supermarket

Water 💦 refill at the at Viviers-Lès-Montagne and at Église Saint-Jean before Les Moulin de Saint-Jean

Dourgne Restaurants Bakery Meat market

Buon Camino 😇
Thank you, Paul, for the very helpful information on your progress via Chemin d'Arles. I am leaving Australia in 4 days' time and will start walking from Arles around May 8, solo and first time on this Chemin. I confess to feeling some angst, not about walking solo, but about being older (69th birthday en route) and slow walker. I will be referring to your posts and @anamcara's 2016 blog, as well as MMDD. Merci!

Day 17

Dourgne - Revel - Les Cassés

Supply at
  • Soreèze 🍺 🍽 🛒 a wonderful old town
  • Revel 🍺 🍽 🛒 also very nice to see
No supply at - Les Cassés but the lady at le Gîte d’étape «La Passeur-elle» provides you with 🍺🍷dinner and breakfast
I would recommend such long etape only to experienced walkers.

Day 18

Les Cassés - Port Lauragais

I stayed at Fasthôtel Avignonet Lauragais provides Breakfast the motorway restaurant is very close
Note: check in advance to see if the restaurants are open

Pics and more on my german blog.
Easy translations with the chrome browser

Thank you, Paul, for the very helpful information on your progress via Chemin d'Arles. I am leaving Australia in 4 days' time and will start walking from Arles around May 8, solo and first time on this Chemin. I confess to feeling some angst, not about walking solo, but about being older (69th birthday en route) and slow walker. I will be referring to your posts and @anamcara's 2016 blog, as well as MMDD. Merci!
Hi Anna great to hear someone can use my information. Good luck with the weather like I had and buon camino 😇 by the way I am close to 66.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Villefranche de Lauragais has all mod cons.

After that, I'm afraid I can provide no further info, until from Oloron-Sainte-Marie onwards, as at that point on my 2005 I diverged from the Arles Way towards Lourdes. But my Oloron->Somport info is at least less out of date, as it's from the 2014.

Be sure to check the Office du Tourisme in Oloron when you get there, if it's open, as they may have Camino info available.

Last edited:
Day 19

Port Lauragais - Montgiscard

Supply at
  • Avignonet-Lauragais 🏠 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Villefranche-de-Lauragais 🏠 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Baziège 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Montgiscard 🏠 🍺 🍽 🛒
I stayed at L'Escale de la Pradelle Montgiscard B&B

Day 19 was hard 36km and light rain 🌧 I would recommend such long etape only to experienced walkers

Day 20

Montgiscard - Auzeville-Tolosane

Water 💦 refill at the at Corronsac

⚠️ Be careful, this ways through the farmland and forests can be very difficult. Slippery when wet 💦💦💦 alternative you may use the canal du midi route.

Attachments

• E40F1613-AF78-407C-A39D-DB4CE5E95904.jpeg
    E40F1613-AF78-407C-A39D-DB4CE5E95904.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 1CE1CB58-8A30-4D12-A30C-2C95D1A1313F.jpeg
    1CE1CB58-8A30-4D12-A30C-2C95D1A1313F.jpeg
  • 59BDD2AF-AD4A-4C3B-9687-786B1C57BF92.jpeg
    59BDD2AF-AD4A-4C3B-9687-786B1C57BF92.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Day 21
Auzeville-Tolosane - Toulouse
No supply on the way as usual but for 12km no need for it.
Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Chemin d'Escale, Pouvourville
  • Chemin de Narrade 36, Toulouse
  • and more later on

Attachments

• 607C5FB4-F55D-423A-A6CB-6B08BC658452.jpeg
    607C5FB4-F55D-423A-A6CB-6B08BC658452.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • D6C86658-D6FE-4982-8B4D-1F60B334C883.jpeg
    D6C86658-D6FE-4982-8B4D-1F60B334C883.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 14FFD852-5CD5-4E1A-8B4E-47BA12891050.jpeg
    14FFD852-5CD5-4E1A-8B4E-47BA12891050.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • A78969E5-DEA7-4A50-B9CC-9C325179D7BD.jpeg
    A78969E5-DEA7-4A50-B9CC-9C325179D7BD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 22

Toulouse — Colomiers — Pibrac

Supply at 🔮= Everything 2B1C72C7-05AF-4EFB-AB78-89141526F144.jpeg
  • Purpan 🔮
  • St-Martin-du-Touch 🔮
  • Colomiers 🔮
  • Pibrac 🔮

Day 23
Pibrac — Léguevin — L ́Isle-Jourdain

Supply at
  • Léguevin 🔮 5km
  • Pujaudran 🍽 🛒 1.5km off the track
  • L ́Isle-Jourdain 🔮

Day 24
Supply at
  • Vival Monferran-Savès
Water 💦 refill at the at Giscaro Toilets

Day 24
L ́Isle-Jourdain - Gimont

Supply at
  • Vival Monferran-Savès
Water 💦 refill at the at Giscaro Toilets

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Attachments

• AE67E113-3AB6-4152-A8F2-4EB84F26AA59.jpeg
    AE67E113-3AB6-4152-A8F2-4EB84F26AA59.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 0247EC79-0F8D-45B1-8B43-CC01A05905FA.jpeg
    0247EC79-0F8D-45B1-8B43-CC01A05905FA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 1446C11F-14A8-4AE5-B6DB-317DBA306713.jpeg
    1446C11F-14A8-4AE5-B6DB-317DBA306713.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Day 25

Gimont — Auch

Supply at Lussan. Auberge du Rantaures check opening hours first

Water 💦 refill at the at Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption
No other supply on the way as usual.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Day 26
Auch — Montesquiou

Supply at
  • Barran 🏠 🛒 Tabac-Presse-Epicerie Proxi Services 🍺🍷

• L ́Isle-de-Noé 🏠 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Le Restaurant Du Château Le Tic Tic Gascon 9-15h
  • Boulangerie Larroucau

• Montesquiou 🔮 Accueil pèlerin L’Auberge Ader Patrice Alain 12-16h
  • Croq Pizza
  • Ma Petite Epicerie

Day 27 Montesquiou — Marciac

I wouldn’t recommend the steep way downhill from Saint-Christaud by rain or other wet weather. Take the road instead, its not much longer.

Supply at Marciac
  • Boulangerie Vergé-Borderolle, 1 rue Henri Laignoux, fermé dim après-midi et jeu
  • Boulangerie les Gourmandises, 5 place de l'Hôtel de Ville, fermé dim après-midi et lun
  • Super U, route de Mirande, fermé dim après-midi

Attachments

• 4CD6D083-8C38-43F4-8C12-DEC21C3EC10F.jpeg
    4CD6D083-8C38-43F4-8C12-DEC21C3EC10F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • C55680E9-2743-4FC2-B47C-81E760E2586D.jpeg
    C55680E9-2743-4FC2-B47C-81E760E2586D.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 5A633F0B-F419-4CEC-A512-829230B24A87.jpeg
    5A633F0B-F419-4CEC-A512-829230B24A87.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • B81BEE79-0E7A-457D-BC8F-8BE0A1EEC806.jpeg
    B81BEE79-0E7A-457D-BC8F-8BE0A1EEC806.jpeg
  • DF3E19D1-B2D1-4F07-9F55-8919B6943F92.jpeg
    21 MB · Views: 4
Day 28 Marciac — Maubourguet

Water 💦 refill at the at Auriébat

supply at Maubourguet anything you need on your way to Gîte Anoyé, buy it here it’s the last outpost.

Attachments

• 156F2488-AAFE-4F68-B3BC-F7BFFE786B0F.jpeg
    12.3 MB · Views: 8
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 29 Maubourguet — Anoyé
Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Lahitte-Toupière
  • Église Saint-Jacques de Vidouze
  • Food Shop inside Gîte Anoyé ☕🍺🍷🥖🍝🥫 opens 5:30pm
Be sure to get everything you need for the next day 15k to Morlaàs at the shop

Attachments

• 1D894AF5-34E4-47A5-A864-9B147D46FC43.jpeg
    1D894AF5-34E4-47A5-A864-9B147D46FC43.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Day 30 Anoyé — Morlaàs
If you have missed last evening to buy your things there is no supply on the way as usual.
Didn’t see any Water 💦 refill but for 15k it’s easy

Day 31 Morlaàs — Lescar
Supply at
  • Morlaàs
  • L Hippodrome Du Pont-Long 🍺 🍽 💦
  • Pau 🔮
  • Lons 🔮
  • Lac Des Carolins 🍺 🍽 Zoo
  • Lescar 🔮

What were your thoughts on Pau as you walked through?
Well I walked at the north part of Pau to Lescar. BUT, I had ordered a pair of new shoes at Pau. So I had the opportunity to see a very nice village. Worth to visit.

Attachments

• 2051C222-4652-405B-B193-1B6C8AE57A09.jpeg
    2051C222-4652-405B-B193-1B6C8AE57A09.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • C943315D-0BDE-4F4C-972E-86A9E9E37549.jpeg
    C943315D-0BDE-4F4C-972E-86A9E9E37549.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 6F661F76-3F4F-4A7E-BE0E-B228E85CB36A.jpeg
    6F661F76-3F4F-4A7E-BE0E-B228E85CB36A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Day 32 Lescar — Oloron-Sainte-Marie
Supply at
  • Artiguelouve 🍺 🍽 🛒 6km
  • Lacommande 🏠 Gîte only / Wineshop
  • Goès 🍺 🛒
  • Oloron-Sainte- Marie 🔮

Water 💦 refill at the at Cemetery Lacommande

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Day 33 Oloron-Sainte-Marie — Sarrance

Supply at
  • Eysus 🏠 🍺 🍽 Gîte only
  • Saint-Christau Hostelerie du Paon Blanc (new) 🍺🍽🍷
  • Sarrance 🏠 🍽 🛒 Hotel
Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Eysus
  • Escot
The way was in terrible condition after the heavy rain last night. Later on nice trails.

Attachments

• 4A2D0EB4-A49F-448F-8ABC-5151B84CAC00.jpeg
    4A2D0EB4-A49F-448F-8ABC-5151B84CAC00.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • E6E2DD93-17F3-49C5-94A7-C88161DE453B.jpeg
    E6E2DD93-17F3-49C5-94A7-C88161DE453B.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 3
I would stay with the monks at Sarrance, but can definitely understand your current need/desire for more creature comforts after all those more difficult days.

Sadly, the gîte communal at Borce appears to have closed permanently.

Day 34 Sarrance — Urdos 👍
Supply at
  • Sarrance
  • Bedous🔮
  • Accous 🏠 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • L ́Estanguet 🏠 🍽
  • Eygun🏠 🍺
  • Etsaut🏠🍺🍽🛒
  • 🍽🍺🍷Le Randonneur 64 Le Bourg, 64490 Etsaut, France 🇫🇷
  • Borce🏠🍺🍽🛒
  • Urdos 🏠 🍺 🍽 🛒
Water 💦 refill at the at didn’t use any refill

Day 35 Urdos — Canfranc-Estación
Supply at
  • Col du Somport 🏠 🍺 🍽
  • Candanchú - 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Canfranc-Estación
Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Col du Somport
  • Canfranc-Estación

Attachments

• ED91800B-FA6D-4A92-8301-A74591CC5A0B.jpeg
    ED91800B-FA6D-4A92-8301-A74591CC5A0B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 4FBA25CB-CF82-4E82-AD14-D38DB88CB5BE.jpeg
    4FBA25CB-CF82-4E82-AD14-D38DB88CB5BE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 17DD7B5B-0EE3-43B4-A8B8-2886C62906F3.jpeg
    17DD7B5B-0EE3-43B4-A8B8-2886C62906F3.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4

€60,-
I would stay with the monks at Sarrance, but can definitely understand your current need/desire for more creature comforts after all those more difficult days.

Sadly, the gîte communal at Borce appears to have closed permanently.
Yes I love it a bit more comfortable. A carry only 6kg including 1L water and only a silk sleeper. Currently the night temperature is around 5°C some places aren’t good with heating.
As I find in 2022 MMDD the Git communal Saint Jacques-Hospitalet de Borce is open.

Day 36 Canfranc-Estación — Jaca
Supply at
  • Canfranc-Estación🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Canfranc 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Villanúa 🔮
  • Castilllo de Jaca 🏠 🍺 🍽 🛒
  • Jaca 🔮
Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Canfranc
  • Villanúa
  • Castilllo de Jaca
We had beautiful weather today on our way down to Jaca. With some 🍺Stops

Attachments

• C1B0366B-5C4C-4ED7-BCCA-ADBB7111A452.jpeg
    C1B0366B-5C4C-4ED7-BCCA-ADBB7111A452.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • AB145B16-AFC6-4B11-BA12-4E0E28B5FF90.jpeg
    AB145B16-AFC6-4B11-BA12-4E0E28B5FF90.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • DD2219DF-DBC3-42AB-B627-B6962712BD88.jpeg
    DD2219DF-DBC3-42AB-B627-B6962712BD88.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Day 37 Jaca — Santa Cruz de la Serós

Supply at Monstreio Nuevo de San Juan de la Peña 🍺 🍽

Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Atarés
  • Monstreio Nuevo de San Juan de la Peña

Day 38 Santa Cru de la Serós — Arrrés

Supply at
  • Santa Cilia de Jaca Bakery / Bar check opening times
  • Pirineos Centro de Vacaciones 🍺🍽🍷☕
  • Puente la Reina de Jaca ☕🍺🍽🍷☕
  • Arrés La Posada El Granero del Conde 🍺🍽🍷☕

Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Santa Cilia de Jaca

Attachments

• A377D243-A8FD-4AA7-AB3C-10B834A7BE30.jpeg
    A377D243-A8FD-4AA7-AB3C-10B834A7BE30.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
Day 39 Arrés — Ruesta

Supply at
  • Albergue Restaurante de Artieda 11-16h
  • Albergue de Ruesta
Water 💦 refill at the a
  • Pardina de Solano
  • Abrevadero San Martín
  • Artieda

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Day 40 Ruesta — Sangüesa
Supply at
  • Multi Servizio Rural
  • Albergue Undués de Lerda 🍽🍺☕

Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Albergue Undués de Lerda

Attachments

• 25E48730-0192-432C-8616-DBB691E97775.jpeg
    25E48730-0192-432C-8616-DBB691E97775.jpeg
Day 41 Sangüesa — Monreal

Supply at
  • Liédena
  • Lumbier
  • Monreal
Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Liédena 7km 💦
  • after Foz de Lumbier 💦
  • Lumbier 13km 💦
  • Aldunate 💦
  • Izco 💦
    • Abinzano 💦
  • Salinas de Ibargoiti 💦
It was a beautiful but hard day nearly 36km but worth to see Foz de Lumbier 😎

Attachments

• F7AC1ADF-EDC1-46F4-A9BE-BFE364F34C1E.jpeg
    F7AC1ADF-EDC1-46F4-A9BE-BFE364F34C1E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • 53434997-1E0A-43A8-BFB8-EAA396A9FC38.jpeg
    53434997-1E0A-43A8-BFB8-EAA396A9FC38.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
Day 42 Monreal — Puente la Reina 🏁
Supply at
  • Tiebas Bar El Centro
  • Vending Machine Olkotz/Olcoz
  • Enériz / Eneritz
Water 💦 refill at the at
  • Guerendiáin
  • Tiebas
  • Muruarte de Reta
  • Olkotz/Olcoz
  • Enériz / Eneritz
  • Santa María de Eunate
It’s a tough camino. Not many people and places to sit down an relax by a beer 🍺 but you will see nice countryside and historical places.

Bye bye 👋 https://elcaminohike.wordpress.com/ 😇

Attachments

• 4C982FAA-EA61-4CE1-8FDA-ABB26393AB32.jpeg
    4C982FAA-EA61-4CE1-8FDA-ABB26393AB32.jpeg
  • 85046473-DD68-4ED0-AAA0-51BBEB52821A.jpeg
    85046473-DD68-4ED0-AAA0-51BBEB52821A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 1C0DCC34-1B82-45C2-8AF1-675DE26CDC66.jpeg
    1C0DCC34-1B82-45C2-8AF1-675DE26CDC66.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • D4BA9117-7578-4CE9-A7E9-8276B789EAD6.jpeg
    D4BA9117-7578-4CE9-A7E9-8276B789EAD6.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back