• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Viana do Castelo to Santiago

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Have you walked this coastal route? If so, I would be interested in your itinerary, and thoughts. Back in March I had to go inland from Viana, to Ponte de Lima, because of bad weather. In June 2017 I’d like to return to Viana, where I left off, and continue walking the coastal route. The difference, this time, is that my husband will be with me, and he doesn’t do long walking days, nor albergues (although he would stay in an albergue if he really had to). I would like to include the Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra, and the boat to Padron. Any suggestions for short stages (10 to 15kms), and places to stay, from Viana do Castelo? I can look on booking.com for ideas, but would be glad of some personal recommendations. Also, your opinions of where NOT to stay!
Thanks! Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi: I walked the coastal route with a friend this past summer, staying at reasonably small hotels/pensions along the way. We really enjoyed the walk. Having walked the Ponte de Lima-Tui-SdC route a few years ago, I would say that I have a slight preference for the coastal route. It is hard to beat blue skies, blue water, waves crashing on rocks, etc. We did not take the Variante Espiritual, but in any case, here is our itinerary and accommodation (with approximate distances):

Viana do Castelo Pension O Laranjeira
Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ancora (24kms) Hotel Meira
Vila Praia de Ancora to A Guarda (15kms) Vila da Guarda
A Guarda to Oia (15kms) Casa Puertas
Oia to Baiona (14kms) Anunciada Baiona
Baiona to Vigo (28kms)* Hotel Compostela Vigo
Vigo to Redondela (14kms) Hotel Santa Apostolo**
Redondela to Pontevedra (16kms) Hotel Ruas
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (24kms) O Cruceiro Centre
Caldas de Reis to Padron (18kms) Rosalia Padron
Padron to SdC (24kms) Hospederia San Martin Pinario

* I am sure you could break this day into two if you wanted. It was a good walk, but a long slog in the heat.
** This hotel is about 3-4 km past Redondela.

I don't have any individual pricing on any of the hotels, as we booked it as part of a self-guided tour, but they were all decent places.

Happy planning!

One tip that I would suggest: As you cross the river from Caminha to the Spanish side, I believe that the yellow arrows will take you inland up over a few hills into A Guarda. We were told to walk along the path following the river to the ocean, and then follow the ocean north into A Guarda. We took that advice, and it was all on good paths and was one of the best sections of the entire walk. We did it on a beautiful sunny day and it was fabulous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Small correction

From Laranjeira in Viana do Castelo to the center of Vila Praia de Âncora is 16 kms .
On the boulevard is the tourist center and there ask for a room. We got a nice appartment just in the center and the main square with restaurants etc. 2. Minutes from the waymarked caminhopath. And a decent pricing too.

You could walk from Oia or Mougas( a difference of 5 km brtween both places) to Baiona but an alternative is to walk 5 kms further to Nigrán where is an albergue.
This splits the part Baiona to Vigo in two.
So from Vila Praia de Âncora you easily can go to Oia 20 kms and from Oia to Nigrán. 20 kms .

Between Padrón and Santiago you could stay overnight in Teo a Casalonga which is 14 kms from Padrón and walk an easy and relaxed 10 kms into Santiago the next day.

Bom caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back