Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Vicious dog outside Barxa do Lor — describe your experience

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have been in touch with Aida Menéndez, president of the Monforte Invierno Association, and one of the people who was always there working to get the Invierno recognition and Xunta investment. Anyway.... I described to her the situation of the dog many of us have seen lunging towards us in the little hamlet right on the way down to Barxa do Lor. I remember that the bridge is visible at the point where the house is, but any more details on location would help. She told me that she has contacted the officials in Quiroga (this hamlet is located in the municipal boundaries of Quiroga), but thought that if we sent some of our own letteres describing our experience, it would have a greater impact.

So, here’s what I propose — if you can write your own letter in Spanish, send it to me via PM (addressed to Sr. Alcalde and signed with your name). If you want to write your own letter in English, send it to me in PM, and I will translate it into Spanish and send it on. If you don’t want to write a letter, but would like to leave a few comments on this thread, I will incorporate them into my letter in Spanish. I will send them all to Aida and she will forward them on.

Here is a picture of the long-serving mayor, next to a Camino mojón, so I think we can take it for granted that he wants the camino to flourish.

I know we have had some big debates by those who believe that pilgrims shouldn’t have the power to force owners to control dogs that are running loose, but I think that this issue is one that all of us can get behind. This dog is chained up and vicious and gets awfully close to people passing by.

Thanks for your help.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

marianamela

Year of past OR future Camino
Hello all!
Went pass Barxa de Lor yesterday and no dogs off chains and the dogs that existed after the bridge and on the ascend were all inside a big house and they were friendly. Maybe this dog doesn’t live there anymore ? Anyhow just wanted to keep you updated.

SkyDancer

Camino obsessed
Hello all!
Went pass Barxa de Lor yesterday and no dogs off chains and the dogs that existed after the bridge and on the ascend were all inside a big house and they were friendly. Maybe this dog doesn’t live there anymore ? Anyhow just wanted to keep you updated.
Thank-you for letting us know!
I am very relieved to hear this as I’m terrified of dogs due to an attack when I was a child. 🙏

France (2012 and 2014)
Leon- Finisterre- Muxia, (May 2016)
Primitivo - Finisterre (May 2017)
I first saw this post today, so maybe a little late. I went by these dogs in 2018. One at eachs side of the path. I had to walk in the middle of the path so they could not reach me. Very scaring.
The location is right here:
1623261845647.png 1623261845647.png
If you want to see the place, there is a youtube video right here, go to time 6:54

CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads