• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vicious snarling dogs?

Hermanita

It seems that in every book I read about the Camino the author has been attacked or nearly attacked by vicious snarling dogs. I know some authors like to put a little spin on it, to add some drama to their stories, but I seriously don't want that kind of drama on my Camino.

So, my question is posed to those that have walked and had dog "experiences". Have you been threatened, menaced or attacked by vicious snarling dogs, or in any way encountered dogs that made you feel threatened? Have you even seen packs of dogs?

Rita

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: Vicious snarling dogs

The dogs that I encountered were sleepy and quiet but I did the Camino in the Fall and maybe by then they just bored with all the pilgims they had seen?

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I met some of them. Usually they had a chain around their neck, so they couldn't attack me. I think some of them really wanted to do that. One dog followed me for 1-2 minutes barking and being angry. But nothing happened, the most dogs are sleepy and friendly and always hungry for pilgrim's food ;)

On the Camino Frances I encountered no problems with dogs. Most were on chains. A few were loose and followed for a bit but were not threatening. On the Camino Portuguese there were lots of barking dogs. Many were chained but it seemed the whole route was filled with loud,barking dogs. A small dog nipped my friend and another almost did. When we got into Spain it seemed to be better so we joked that it was just the Portuguese dogs. On neither route did I see packs of dogs.

The dogs I encountered on the Camino Mozarabe and VDLP were mostly very large working dogs. Their job is to protect livestock. They bark, snarl and behave in a threatening manner. Usually there is a fence between you and them, though not always. I carried a stone with me which I let the dogs see and made as to throw it at them. They always backed off.

One exception was a German Shepherd which made not a sound, but merely shepherded me away from its property in a most professional manner.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

AJ said:
They bark, snarl and behave in a threatening manner. Usually there is a fence between you and them, though not always. I carried a stone with me which I let the dogs see and made as to throw it at them. They always backed off.

Thanks AJ, I hope all the dogs I meet are behind fences too.

I walk almost daily. I have not encountered too many dogs lately as we have a leash law in our town.

But when I was growing up our neighbors had several vicious loose dogs that would chase us kids off.
I was told that if I turned on the dogs and started running toward them while shouting and making noise that they would back off and not attack me. Well, I must say it worked most of the time. I
did however get bit once by one of those dogs.

Rita

For what it's worth, 20 years ago when I walked the Camino the "dog problem" was the #1 warning I received from well-wishers before I set out, but I never encountered a single problem dog along my 400 mile journey.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Years ago I travelled to inland Bali. I was waiting for a bus. A very nice gentleman asked me to share a coffee whilst we waited for our respective buses. We communed for less than 15 minutes before he had to run and catch his bus.He told me a story - "there are wild dogs - do not be afraid if you meet them, the locals have thrown stones at them for so long they are afraid of stone throwing. All you have to do is bend down as if to touch your toes and they will scamper. Two nights later I was walking to my hotel alone, very late at night, there was no traffic, just a long winding road. I walked and walked until I came to a bridge overhead - in front of me were 12-15 wild dogs! I kid you not. They were snarling and growling! And then I remembered my stranger's story. I bent down and touched my toes, just once. The dogs parted, on either side of the bridge, and let me pass between them!As soon as I had passed they closed ranks again and started growling! I will never forget it! I got the information I needed on the track, from a friend I didn't know!

oomschluking said:
in front of me were 12-15 wild dogs! I kid you not. They were snarling and growling! And then I remembered my stranger's story. I bent down and touched my toes, just once. The dogs parted, on either side of the bridge, and let me pass between them!As soon as I had passed they closed ranks again and started growling! I will never forget it! I got the information I needed on the track, from a friend I didn't know!

WOW that is am amazing story. I never heard of such a thing.
But I don't think I will try it unless I am in Bali!!! :D

I got attacked by a dog just outside of Ruitalin - but in defence of the dog, as I walked passed I said hello to her, she jumped up and went for me. Luckily she bit my backpack and not me. I turned around and waved my walking poles in a threatening manner and she backed off. I noticed that she had just had puppies (although they weren't in sight), so she was probably just defending them. There were lots of growling dogs along the way but I didn't make eye contact with them or speak to them - felt that would be the safest way. I must admit after the dog attack I was a little nervous every time I spotted a loose dog, but didn't get attacked again so as I said, I think it was because she was feeding puppies. Lesson - no eye contact, don't speak to them, and you'll be fine! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Janeh said:
I got attacked by a dog just outside of Ruitalin - I noticed that she had just had puppies (although they weren't in sight), so she was probably just defending them.

Hi Jane
I know that dogs can get very defensive if they have a litter. I had a sweet gentle dog who had a litter of pups and turned real mean if anyone came near them.

I don't really have a fear of dogs, but if I do encounter one, now I won't know what to do, as some people in the thread say don't make eye contact and others say make noises and wave your staff like you are going to go after them. Who knows which is best. I guess I'll just hope that I don't meet any bad dogs, and I won't have to think about it one way or the other!! :lol:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back