• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Victim of its own success?

Jerome74

Hello,

I'm gonna start my camino on May 17th, so I'm already getting excited and a little bit nervous. Especially as to whether the camino will be full of people or whether there still are places, or moments, where you can walk (more or less) alone? Don't get me wrong, I like to meet new people (and I'm actually looking forward to it) and I surely don't want to be alone all the time! But I don't want it to be like on popular beaches where people fall over each other ... this would annoy me if it constantly was like this ... I know, I tend to dramatize things sometimes ;)

And I also don't want to run or fight for beds. That would be like the competition circle that we're already living in our 'real' lives I guess. So I'm taking a carry-mat with me. That way I'm more independent and I can also maybe walk later in the afternoon when most people already have reached their targets.

This isn't a very big worry though, it'll be the way it'll be ... And I'll try to relax and adapt. That's one of my personal challenges of this camino, I guess :)

But since I'm curious nevertheless, are there any people in here who did the camino last year in May/June and could tell me how it was back then?

Thanks,

Jerome

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jerome,

I did the camino May last year. It was hot. No rain in Galicia at all, only fog. But snow at the Cruz de Ferro.

I don't know how you define 'too many people' on the camino, but if you will be walking slowly (and I suggest that you do), you'll be overtaken by hurrying pilgrims every few minutes, especially in the Galician stretch. Just greet them buen camino or hola and let them be with their race towards the refugios and inevitable blisters. In my 33 days of walking I only ran out of bed once, in Viana, and that was because I stopped at 5 pm, a bit late by most pilgrim's schedules -- not enough time left to dry the laundry.

By the way, I noticed that in the last 5 days to Santiago, those who began in SJPP seem to be dragging their feet, not because of the foot injuries, but probably because they don't want the walk to end soon, whereas the ones who started in Sarria still have that bounce in their walk; these are the ones who walk straight regardless of the stones on the path.

Mark

Hi Jerome,

Which Camino(s) r u doing :?:

Where are you starting from :?:

Going all the way to Compostela :?:

In all truth, marktqm gave u excellent feedback.

Suggestions: don't worry about beds + crowds = prepare urself physically/mentally as much as poss, GO, be happy, give urself to the experience, and enjoy (and don't forget to share anecdotes when u return, :!: )

...I noticed that in the last 5 days to Santiago, those who began in SJPP seem to be dragging their feet... because they don't want the walk to end soon, whereas the ones who started in Sarria still have that bounce in their walk...

Mighty perceptive of u, marktqm :!:

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm 8)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
xm:

Thank you for your answer.

Since this is the Camino francès forum I thought I didn't need to specify it again ;)

I'll be starting in SJPDP and then go to SdC. Very classical and traditional! But since it's my first camino I don't want to experiment too much.

As for the crowds, I will indeed prepare myself for the 'worst' ... that way I can't but be positively surprised! ;)

But as you said: I'll try not to worry too much and just let things happen. And enjoy it :)

Of course I'll share anecdotes afterwards!

Have a nice day,

Jerome

Camino Frances Forum

If you look at the top of each thread you will see whether the forum is for Camino Frances or any of the other routes. This thread is:

Compostela Forum Index -> El Camino Frances

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, let's see how technical we can get...the "thread" may say "CF." But this "Forum" includes all Caminos. xm 8)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This forum is for all caminos to Santiago de Compostela. I have divided up the different caminos so that each has its own category. If you read a message and wonder in what category it was posted, look at the top where it should say something like:

Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela Forum Index -> El Camino Frances
(... so this message is posted in the "El Camino Frances" category).

So therefore a new post that is related to el camino frances should go in the "Camino Frances" category. Posts related to el camino ingles should go in this category, and so on... There are also other categories as for example the one for "Equipment questions".

These categories are listed on the front page. For an example on "How to post a message in the right category" have a look here:
how_to/post_message.htm

I hope this clears up, some of the confusion.... :)

Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back