• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

[video] 아들과 함께한 산티아고 순례길 (Camino de Santiago with my son)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A memory for you and your son that will last him all his life. A bond of something very special you shared with each other. The love of a father for his son, the love of a son for his father both strengthened in ways that may yet be discovered. A direction for life suggested by a father for his son, the son trusting the direction set by his father.

How wonderful to see and hear about Caminos walked in family groups of any size.

Thank you.

카미노 축하드려요. 아들과 함께 한 모습 너무 보기 좋으네요. 아들에게 돈 주고도 사지 못할 좋은 추억을 주셨어요. 비디오 너무 잘 보았어요.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There will be a big leap in the numbers of pilgrims from Korea due to videos like this posted by Ivar (thank you). I flew back with a young Korean lass who finished her years' exchange study in Nottingham University and before she returned to Korea did the Camino. She tells me that there are many books written now in Korean on the Camino and they have a forum in Korean language. This is not surprising as there is a big increase in Christianity in Korea, the Camino with the walk in a down to earth manner and meeting the people is a big drawcard for them in spite of the language differences.

The Camino is still considered by the Koreans a pilgrimage where religion, and paying homage to a saint, plays an important role. All the side show of wine swigging, snoring, bed-bugs, being bugged by phones and iPads, rushing for beds, blisters, cheating on buses and taxis, SLR's versus point and shoot cameras, or no cameras, is just what it is: a side show for them.

Joe

All the side show of wine swigging, snoring, bed-bugs, being bugged by phones and iPads, rushing for beds, blisters, cheating on buses and taxis, SLR's versus point and shoot cameras, or no cameras, is just what it is: a side show for them.

Joe

Hi Joe, I spent a couple of evenings with a two Korean couples after walking similar stages, they had reasonable English but I had non-existent, Korean. They suggested that not all pilgrims were religious, but they were, and all Koreans I met gave me that impression, they indicated that following the increase in Christianity in Korea there was an attraction to walk in footsteps of early generations (as they put it ). They explained to me the history of what had happened in Japan and China and contrasted it with the historically more benign environment for Christians in (South) Korea.

With regards kit, I had a slightly different experience in as much that the Koreans I met all had the latest gear, often colour coordinated, ( as in video above), smart phones, cameras, poles, compeed etc.. etc... they were very well prepared and clearly had a lot of prior knowledge presumably from their own forum. I wish I had asked why so many seem to come early in the year when snows and rain are more prevalent, do you have any idea?

Buen Camino

Now that's what it's all about! Thank you Ivar for posting this lovely video-it plastered a big Camino grin all over my face this morning:).
So many fantastic images but I especially love.....the little boy walking along the top of wall (when all most of us could do was think of putting one step in front of the other) a close up of his face experiencing 'Kit kat bliss' ( a chocolate and biscuit bar-now that experience I shared), him squatting down to examine some bug or other on the road, another of him trying to lure a kitten from under a car and of the two of them leaping in the air on the beach at Fisterra.
What words there are in the video are short pithy and insightful.......and the fact that God gets listed (not first mind you!) along with everyone else that helped them on their journey made me laugh even as the credits rolled.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Joe, I spent a couple of evenings with a two Korean couples after walking similar stages, they had reasonable English but I had non-existent, Korean. They suggested that not all pilgrims were religious, but they were, and all Koreans I met gave me that impression, they indicated that following the increase in Christianity in Korea there was an attraction to walk in footsteps of early generations (as they put it ). They explained to me the history of what had happened in Japan and China and contrasted it with the historically more benign environment for Christians in (South) Korea.

With regards kit, I had a slightly different experience in as much that the Koreans I met all had the latest gear, often colour coordinated, ( as in video above), smart phones, cameras, poles, compeed etc.. etc... they were very well prepared and clearly had a lot of prior knowledge presumably from their own forum. I wish I had asked why so many seem to come early in the year when snows and rain are more prevalent, do you have any idea?

Buen Camino
Hi Kevin_A,
Although of Asian origin and a practicing Catholic I cannot give you the answers, but I am sure the two Korean couples must have enjoyed the evenings spent with you, more Koreans speak English than Spanish and they must have felt honoured to have someone speak to them on the Camino. The Camino is done mainly by the Koreans for the religious aspect, they would then spend time touring Europe if they want to be a tourist.

All pragmatic travelers going into a foreign country with a linguistic barrier would take the travel aids of the day; in a few years with prices of smartphone dropping and capabilities increased I do not see any modern Korean foregoing these aids to go into a shell and meditating as a hermit in a quiet corner of the church, just to be what some consider a pilgrim thing to do to properly earn the Compostela. To suffer to attain the zen is not in their ethos; nor is the Latin Compostela held in the esteem many make it out to be.

Snows and rain in Korea is much more vicious than in Spain, they are well prepared to take in the weather in Spain as you can see by how well they are usually dressed. The reason most travel out of their country early in the year is that the school and year end holidays takes place then, the winter in Korea is also bitter. I do not have all the answers but it is heartening to have these positive comments from people like you, meeting people like you on equal terms and without the trappings of sandals, water gourd, staff and cloak makes it an unforgettable Camino for them to take back. And to spread the news. I thank you for taking a bit of time to exchange views with them.

Joe

I have just come across this for the first time in 2019 and I want to say thank you for posting it.What a wonderful father/son experience that will be a lifetime memory for both.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back