• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Video GR10 Pyrenees, from SJPdP to Hendaye/Irun

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
I'm trying to find the right place to tell that I have made a new video from GR10, from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Hendaye / Irun.
This stretch of the Pyrenees is a great way to connect the route from Le Puy in France (GR65) and Camino del Norte in Spain. (The continuing on Camino del Norte Part 6 has this name: Camino del Norte, Camino de Santiago in France and Spain, Part 6.)
For more photo-videos, see my channel:

Hope someone like the video.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for sharing this! It gives a very good picture of the terrain and difficulty of this route.

Did you find it to be more challenging than the mountainous parts of the Norte and Le Puy?

Yes, this is certainly more challenging, but I am 64 years old and just in normal good shape, and I did it. You go down into the valley every night for accommodation. This means that it is more or less 1,000 meters altitude up every day - day after day. There are also a few "airy" places that I have not taken pictures of, because you think of other things than fotos at the edge of cliffs.

It is especially the second day we went which is demanding, but it was also the greatest day - which I will remember forever.

As you can see, we got bad weather for some days, and these parts I'd willingly walked once more.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you @bjorgts, that's really helpful. I've been thinking about this walk for a while, but everything I've read so far seemed to say 'don't do it!'

I'm in 'normal good shape' too and I love mountains. Your video and comments have definitely reignited my interest.

We met at least three other walkers who were doing exactly the same as we did: They came from Via Podensis / Le Puy and should continue on Camino del Norte.

Loved this! Thanks so much for sharing. Adding to my list of future possibilities.

Happy New Year!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great video. After watching this we are really looking forward to walking this later in the year. Thanks for posting. :)

I'm trying to find the right place to tell that I have made a new video from GR10, from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Hendaye / Irun.
This stretch of the Pyrenees is a great way to connect the route from Le Puy in France (GR65) and Camino del Norte in Spain. (The continuing on Camino del Norte Part 6 has this name: Camino del Norte, Camino de Santiago in France and Spain, Part 6.)

Hope someone like the video.
Thank you for the awesome video,

it is an awesome and spectacular route!

the difficult parts of the terrain for me were:
  • the steep stony descend into Bidarray at the end of the day (day 2)
  • the climb from Bidarray in the morning to col d'Espalza, with iron ropes and an eroded section (day 3)
both sections can be avoided if necessary. the first one is a bit tricky as you have to find a path down to a PR walk then follow this to Bidarray. the second is PR Sentier des Contrebandiers.

the most difficult and the most spectacular is the second day, mostly because it is long, with a lot of hight difference, and only a meagre spring in the middle which should technically run year-round. bring lots of water! I did not find any section so close to the cliffs that it was really scarry.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with you comments, caminka. I found the descent to Bidarray heavy for the legs, but not demanding.

I wrote earlier that a few parts were "airy". The most airy part was the part you mention - the first part of day 3. When we went slowly and put your feet exactly, we never felt that it was dangerous.

Day 2 was long, strenuous and stunningly beautiful! Just train for it. It's worth it.

ah, yes, on that climb there were some pretty airy sections. luckily most were fitted with ropes. but the feeling of accomplishment when you reached the top was worth every step. :)

This will be my third Camino after having done the Frances and Portuguese. I love the idea of being in the Pyrenees for the first 5days of the Norte/Primitivo. I am a bit nervous about starting off my journey with this amount of elevation gain and loss for the first 5 days of the journey, even though my girlfriend and I are fit and are accustomed to hiking the mountains of Montana. Can anyone share an elevation profile of the stages on the GR10 to Irun please.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is an example: Take away the last 10 km and I think you have the route from Hendaye to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. What you do not see here, is all the smal ups and downs in between the big ones. When we walked, we had started 4-5 days up in France, before we came to the Pyrennees. I think I would recomend some waking ahead of your start from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
gr10a.png

Thank you for the post. Airline reservations are set. GR10 here we come.

Hi @bjorgts I know this is an old post but I very much enjoyed your video. Stunning basque countryside.

We are planning to walk Chemin du Piemont Pyrénéen in April and will arrive in SJPP towards the end of the month. If time allows, we’d like to walk SJPP to Hendaye on GR10. (Or Voie de la Nive to Bayonne).

Could you tell me please what time of year this was?

Thank you
Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jenny-

I'm not bjorgts, but I've walked this part of the GR10 a few times. I'd be very cautious about trying to tackle it in April. Unlike the SJPDP-Roncesvalles crossing, which generally follows a paved road or a dirt road and has some bailout options, there are multiple long stretches of the GR10 that are rugged, isolated, and higher-elevation. If weather shifted suddenly, as can happen in the mountains, it could get very unpleasant. Maybe you'll get lucky and have an early season dry/warm spell! Anyway, I wouldn't want to shoot down the idea, but I think having the VNB as mind as an option is probably prudent.

Incidentally, I've been working on compiling accommodation options for both the GR10 and VNB in my Le Puy accommodation spreadsheet. Scroll all the way to the bottom. I also wrote about walking both route options over the summer here.

I hope the weather works out for you! It's a stunning walk, for sure.

Fantastic Dave. Thank you very much. I know what you mean about April weather. It would be late April,when we arrive in SJPP but all the same … Voie de la Nive definitely a good option. We’ll wait and see how,things are when we arrive in SJPP - how the forecast looks and how many days we have to spare.

Now I’m off to follow the links you sent. Merci!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are planning to walk Chemin du Piemont Pyrénéen in April and will arrive in SJPP towards the end of the month. If time allows, we’d like to walk SJPP to Hendaye on GR10. (Or Voie de la Nive to Bayonne).
Here is a possible walk for you if nothing else works out. The town of Berroeta is on the Camino Baztan which starts in Bayonne. From there you can get off the camino and walk north to Doneztebe/Santestaban (Google has a walk of 11 km / 7 miles) where you can pickup the 38 km/24 mile rail trail Via Verde Bidasoa to Irun. I think you can find lodging here and there along the via verde.

Here is a possible walk for you if nothing else works out. The town of Berroeta is on the Camino Baztan which starts in Bayonne. From there you can get off the camino and walk north to Doneztebe/Santestaban (Google has a walk of 11 km / 7 miles) where you can pickup the 38 km/24 mile rail trail Via Verde Bidasoa to Irun. I think you can find lodging here and there along the via verde.
Thank you!

We are actually planning / hoping to walk the Baztan a little later on the same trip if time allows. After the Chemin du Piemont (and possibly GR10 or Voie de la Nive to take us to / towards Bayonne) we will be returning to Paris for a family holiday.

Then, a week later we will take the train back down to Bayonne to pick up a car to visit friends in Le Gers for a week or so - after which if we have time we hope to walk the Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona.

I know, it all sounds a bit round about - and with a couple of short walks in the Basque country - but we love that area - so that's fine. Also we are keen to spend days here and there in Bayonne, as it is a town we are considering as our French base in the future.

Let's face it we will just be happy to be walking!!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back