• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Video: Le Puy-Conques

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Sil originally posted this video link in the 'miscellaneous' section, but I thought it could do with a reposting here for anyone thinking of walking the Le Puy route.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbkbzv_sur-le-cheminde-st-jacques-de-compo_trave
It covers the journey of a couple from Le Puy en Velay to Conques. (It is in French.) It gives a wonderful idea of the scenery you pass through, especially the Aubrac Plateau, and some of the buildings you see, as well as an insight into life in some of the gites. Highly recommended!
Margaret
PS: I especially enjoyed this video for the view it gave of the Aubrac Plateau: when I walked there was rain and mist and you never saw much of the view at all!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What a remarkable video! I must have missed Sil's notice of it and I thank you for sharing it here. The more I learn of this route, the more I feel it would be better to begin in Le Puy rather than SJPP. It would probably necessitate breaking the Camino up into two years in order to go all the way to Santiago. Thank you again for sharing.

I walked from Le Puy to Moissac with my daughter in 2002. It was absolutely wonderful. In places the terrain is hard (out of Conques - Oooof!) but well worth the effort. My best memory was a massive thunderstorm just as we were going down the lane towards Le Domaine Sauvage in Aubrac (I think). We were soaked when we got in and in the main room were steaming pilgrims huddling as close to the massive 13th century fireplace (the place has a Templar history) as they could. I remember going to sleep in a loft type sleeping area looking down on the embers of the fire and listening to the storm outside thinking: life is GOOD!
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

(Maybe one day I'll complete that last little bit...?)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Margaret,
Have a cold, feel lousy, its raining and I've been 'dropping my head' a little re plans for Le Puy to SJPP :( , but then I watched this video....and I'm now all fired up and full of New Year Camino resolution! :D

Nell

When are you planning on setting out Nell? It is a great route- I heartily recommend it :)
Margaret

Hi Margaret I know you are an advocate for the route in fact your blog photos, and the transfer of enthusiasm for the route, were crucial 'nails in the coffin' when deciding what I Camino I would choose next!
I have PM'd you re my start dates.
Thanks
Nell

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for showing us the link to this film segement.

We were a few days behind Margaret in 2008 and stayed at le Ferme du Barry and Les Gentaines. The host/hostess for each were a delightful part of our pilgrimage.

But when we woke up the next morning (30 April 2008) at Les Gentaines, the snow was sticking on the ground and continued for most of the morning, obscuring our view of the Aubrac Plateau.

We did, however, stop at the restaurant at Aubrac. It memory serves correctly, they had quite a "maitre d'hotel," (a siamese cat).

I must have been just a day or two ahead over Aubrac possibly...... it was cold and wet and misty when I crossed, but I heard it snowed the next day, and you could hardly even see your nose. I at least was lucky enough to see the towers looming out of the mist at Aubrac!
I was interested to see the fruit tart from the Aubrac restaurant on the video: I had a large slice of this and it was absolutely delicious!!!!

Sherry, you didn't stop at the convent in Vaylats and get delivered by a farmer's tractor on a scorchingly hot afternoon did you?
Margaret

M, your blog is excellent reading; the pictures are delightful and your prose endearing to the reader. Thank you for sharing your Camino with us!

I lived in Brive-le-Gaillard for two years back in the 70's and this entire region of France is very dear to me. While reading your posts motivate me to change my plans and begin in Le Puy rather than SJPP next year. However, I would like to finish in Santiago but do not have the time to do the entire length at once as you did. Taking a bus in SJPP to Sarria and then pick up the trail again seems...unsavory to me. As if I would be cheating. I find solace in beginning at one point and being able to walk the whole way. Maybe I should simply be more flexible in my thinking, but I am not there yet.

If I just stopped in SJPP and then returned another year to begin anew would be an alternative, but then I miss entering Santiago during the Holy Year, which is important to me. Alas, the my feeble mind has put me in a quandary that will work itself out with a little more time.

Regardless, please know how grateful I am for your posts and your blog. What was your average cost per day on your journey from Le Puy to SJPP?

Happy New year to all,

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Michael,
Many thanks for your kind comments about my blog. There wasn't a lot of info in English available about the Le Puy-SJPP section of the route when I was preparing to do it, so I hoped my blog might prove useful to fill that gap a little.
I am sure your ideas about where to walk will gel soon.....

The average cost on the French section of the route would be about double that in Spain. In more rural areas it is common to stay in private gites, and these would mostly have the option of demi-pension, where you get your bed, plus an excellent evening meal and breakfast provided for around 25-30 Euro generally. The shared meals in the evenings were often a great way to get to know fellow walkers. In the towns, you are more likely to have the option of a municipal gite, and this will cost around 7-9 Euro for a bed for the night. These usually have quite well equipped kitchens so you can shop for supplies locally and do your own cooking if you wish -so long as it isn't a Monday or a holiday or one of the other closed days in France, that you will know about if you have lived there!
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back