• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Video: What's in my Pack? Let the debate begin ...

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Still refining my packing list.
For newbie Pilgrims this might be of some value. (at least get you thinking)
Every item fits in a 34 litre pack with room to spare.

For the 'old hands' feel free to tell me what I don't need! :)
Or suggest alternatives.

For the Ladies, my wife Pat carries the exact same gear. (+ a couple of sports bras)
We look like twins!
Her stuff fits in a 24 litre pack...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really like your video, thanks for sharing.
Might challenge me into doing one myself... never done one and my accent might be not as nice, but you never know :)

As you seem rather weight concious, some thoughts:

- i plan on carrying a foam roller as well. i got my lightest one as a giveaway from my insurance company. it weighs in at 30g
- the fleece is rather heavy. i use an Arcteryx Atom LT, which is likely warmer and will manage some light rain. 375g. You can get even lighter options, like "grid fleece" hoodies. I personally dont like them, but you could shave 100-200g there without losing functionality.
- minor item: gloves. Mine cost 1,50€ and weigh around 25g. I carry them for the same purpose as you do. (Decathlon brand)
- Using 3 pair of socks aswell. I use the coolmesh 2 from wrightsocks, they are 2 layers already. pair weighs 35g
- You might swap the immodium for active coal tablets. They might not work as fast, but serve the same purpose.
- My powerbank has the sole purpose to "jump start" my phone if it is empty for whatever reason in an unexpected situation. Also a gift from some insurance and weighs 70g. I would take a lighter one if i could find it. Since my new Pixel 5 is rather amazing with battery life, i might leave it at home alltogether
- Sleeping bag and liner. Yes, i done the same. Now i will take a extremely light down bag (240g) with a full zipper. If too warm, open zipper (if very warm: use as blanket), if too cold, put on cloths. But thats geared more towards the warmer half of the year.
- I bet i'll get flak for it: i carry some wet wipes, but i dont carry toilet paper. Always check first, if there is none, check the ladies room. Chances are higher there.
- The umbrella is something i conside as well. For exactly the same reasons :)
- Also a big fan of drysacks, but there are lighter options than the stuff you are using. Look at Sea2Summit Ultrasil.
- Wallet: Its not available year-round but "Urban Ultralight Butterfly Wallet" does not weigh more than your ziplock bag and is way prettier. You'll have to put the coins somewhere else though. (I have been using mine for the camino and ever since i got back)

- Well, the backpack. I find i dont need a frame, so i can save another 500g and change on that.

edit: that spa slippers are just brilliant, i'll have a look into them

Might challenge me into doing one myself... never done one and my accent might be not as nice, but you never know :)

- i plan on carrying a foam roller as well. i got my lightest one as a giveaway from my insurance company. it weighs in at 30g
- the fleece is rather heavy. i use an Arcteryx Atom LT, which is likely warmer and will manage some light rain. 375g. You can get even lighter options, like "grid fleece" hoodies. I personally dont like them, but you could shave 100-200g there without losing functionality.
- minor item: gloves. Mine cost 1,50€ and weigh around 25g. I carry them for the same purpose as you do. (Decathlon brand)
- Using 3 pair of socks aswell. I use the coolmesh 2 from wrightsocks, they are 2 layers already. pair weighs 35g
- You might swap the immodium for active coal tablets. They might not work as fast, but serve the same purpose.
- My powerbank has the sole purpose to "jump start" my phone if it is empty for whatever reason in an unexpected situation. Also a gift from some insurance and weighs 70g. I would take a lighter one if i could find it. Since my new Pixel 5 is rather amazing with battery life, i might leave it at home alltogether
- Sleeping bag and liner. Yes, i done the same. Now i will take a extremely light down bag (240g) with a full zipper. If too warm, open zipper (if very warm: use as blanket), if too cold, put on cloths. But thats geared more towards the warmer half of the year.
- I bet i'll get flak for it: i carry some wet wipes, but i dont carry toilet paper. Always check first, if there is none, check the ladies room. Chances are higher there.
- Also a big fan of drysacks, but there are lighter options than the stuff you are using. Look at Sea2Summit Ultrasil.
- Wallet: Its not available year-round but "Urban Ultralight Butterfly Wallet" does not weigh more than your ziplock bag and is way prettier. You'll have to put the coins somewhere else though. (I have been using mine for the camino and ever since i got back)

- Well, the backpack. I find i dont need a frame, so i can save another 500g and change on that.

Great feedback and ideas @Anhalter ! I'm going to drop my extra light t shirt and under wear for sleeping in, and just use next days clothes I think. I've also found a few lighter options of some of my existing options.

Heading out today to get a 'vest' style fleece, that is half the weight of mine.

I know I'm probably a bit paranoid about weight, but I really feel an extra Kg on my tendons so it's good to reduce if I can. Maybe it's just in my head, but I 'don't think so.

Of course planning to be 20+ kgs lighter on my next Camino will make a huge difference. Can't wait to see how it impacts my day 'on the road'.

Packing is so much fun :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great feedback and ideas @Anhalter ! I'm going to drop my extra light t shirt and under wear for sleeping in, and just use next days clothes I think. I've also found a few lighter options of some of my existing options.

Heading out today to get a 'vest' style fleece, that is half the weight of mine.

I know I'm probably a bit paranoid about weight, but I really feel an extra Kg on my tendons so it's good to reduce if I can. Maybe it's just in my head, but I 'don't think so.

Of course planning to be 20+ kgs lighter on my next Camino will make a huge difference. Can't wait to see how it impacts my day 'on the road'.

Packing is so much fun :)

If you are in the market for a longsleeve: The one i am using is the Travel 100 Merino from Decathlon, 163g but not that warm. There is also the "Capilene Light" from Patagonia, which is shy above 100g. Might not be perfect for you, but checking them out wont cost anything.

I am still biased about a vest. I feel the lack of insulation for the arms charming on one hand, but a problem on the other. If i wanted to get the most warmth out of the gramm, i would go for a lightweight down jacket. Theres plenty options between 200g-300g, but they dont breathe well and dont like rain. Thats the main reason i went with the slightly heavier synthetic jacket.

If you are in the market for a longsleeve: The one i am using is the Travel 100 Merino from Decathlon, 163g but not that warm. There is also the "Capilene Light" from Patagonia, which is shy above 100g. Might not be perfect for you, but checking them out wont cost anything.

I am still biased about a vest. I feel the lack of insulation for the arms charming on one hand, but a problem on the other. If i wanted to get the most warmth out of the gramm, i would go for a lightweight down jacket. Theres plenty options between 200g-300g, but they dont breathe well and dont like rain. Thats the main reason i went with the slightly heavier synthetic jacket.

Yes, I get that about vests, I'm looking at a light down jacket too.
But on balance I think I'll go with the vest.
My shirts,that I love, are Featherweight Merino from Icebreaker. 190 g each.

Yes, I get that about vests, I'm looking at a light down jacket too.
But on balance I think I'll go with the vest.
My shirts,that I love, are Featherweight Merino from Icebreaker. 190 g each.
Maybe the Micro Puff from Patagonia might be something for you. But its a bit pricy.

If you love your Icebreakers, keep em. No point in shaving a couple of grams for something you dont feel comfortable in. Also switched my (zip) trousers for a heavier model because i did not like the way the lighter one felt.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm going to drop my extra light t shirt and under wear for sleeping in, and just use next days clothes I think.
Think again, please. Or at least try doing it at home for a few days before making a decision. You can sleep in your day clothes. You can also omit soap, deodorant etc. The fact that you can doesn’t mean you should.

Revel in your new found light(er) weight body and cut yourself some slack.

I’ll watch your video later - in the meantime have you removed all labels from everything, cut off every extraneous buckle and gadget from your rucsack and shortened all straps, strings etc to the maximum length actually needed?

Think again, please. Or at least try doing it at home for a few days before making a decision. You can sleep in your day clothes. You can also omit soap, deodorant etc. The fact that you can doesn’t mean you should.

Revel in your new found light(er) weight body and cut yourself some slack.

I’ll watch your video later - in the meantime have you removed all labels from everything, cut off every extraneous buckle and gadget from your rucsack and shortened all straps, strings etc to the maximum length actually needed?

You're probably right of course @henrythedog :)

It reminds me of my basic training in the Army, when an instructor would do a 'reveal' of what they carried in his various packs and pouches. What had to be in there, and where best to pack it.

But there were always some really clever little things to 'make life easier'.

They would say knowingly ... "Any fool can be uncomfortable".

Still refining my packing list
Aren't we allways, refining our packing list? 😀
My congrats on the production of this lucid, explanatory video.
It is always helpful, no matter our level of experience, to see things from another's perspective.
Good fun too....so thanks for that.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Aren't we allways, refining our packing list? 😀
My congrats on the production of this lucid, explanatory video.
It is always helpful, no matter our level of experience, to see things from another's perspective.
Good fun too....so thanks for that.
Regards
Gerard

I forgot to include Mr Bean. He is sitting on the bookshelf behind me, and was not best pleased....... :rolleyes:
He clips on the front of the pack with a small carabiner.

Good video - it shows all the basic items and functions, and explains the type of reasoning we all go through when refining our packing lists. Each person makes slightly different choices in the end. I hate to be cold and therefore I take an extra down vest (sleeveless) and an additional sun shirt for walking. It was good advice to test your sleeping clothes at home.

@Robo
Thanks. I appreciate the weights given for everything. I am now wondering why I carry a charger which holds four charges, only needed for my phone. I have decided to listen to your post again, write down all items that I also use, compare weights, and consider replacing items which I can get in a lighter weight or in smaller quantities. Unfortunately, I am allergic to down, so I only take a down bag for walks in the mountains, accompanied by lots of antihistamine tablets so I can sleep at night. And I have different priorities from yourself: underwear and deodorant, for example. But, for those items which we both take there are some possibile changes to decrease the weight of what I carry, a priority for a long-distance hiker. Thanks again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Robo
Thanks. I appreciate the weights given for everything. I am now wondering why I carry a charger which holds four charges, only needed for my phone. I have decided to listen to your post again, write down all items that I also use, compare weights, and consider replacing items which I can get in a lighter weight or in smaller quantities. Unfortunately, I am allergic to down, so I only take a down bag for walks in the mountains, accompanied by lots of antihistamine tablets so I can sleep at night. And I have different priorities from yourself: underwear and deodorant, for example. But, for those items which we both take there are some possibile changes to decrease the weight of what I carry, a priority for a long-distance hiker. Thanks again.

I do actually have a small bottle of deodorant.
I took a roll-on bottle which is quite heavy, cut a hole top and bottom, and drained about 25 ml into a small very light plastic bottle :)

So it weighs about 30 gms.

I'm currently testing some power banks.
On the basis that a phone battery is about 3,500 mAh.
A power bank of similar capacity should give me a full phone charge.
Though I'm told that it is safer to just factor in about 80% of the powerbank charge being usable.

So the powerbank I'm planning on weighs just 66 gms.
It is 3,350 mAh. Lipstick sized.

I have another which is 5,200 mAH but it's double the weight at 125 gms.
Not sure I need that much capacity......

It's been an interesting exercise. I've probably shaved off close to 1 kg.

Though a couple of very light extra items crept in. :rolleyes:

An ultralite soft foam/blow up pillow. 80 gms.
And an ultralite 'ass pad' for sitting on the trail side. 40 gms.

We use those Asian 'bolster' type pillows at home which are nice to tuck between your legs at night for added support and comfort.
The folded up 'ass pad' can be used like that.

I'll add a link to my packing list spreadsheet below the video, in the description.

Last edited:
@Robo
As you will be walking the Vdlp, I have been remembering my own experience on the VdlP with replacing toiletries and other substances which I had used up. Much of the time, I was walking in a rural area, with shops often some distance apart. One purchase remains in my mind: going into the town shop in a small town, looking for toothpaste, which I was entirely out of. The only available tube was huge: as I remember, at least 100 ml. I did not want to do without toothpaste or to squeeze most of it out, so I bought it and used it for the rest of my camino, and for the next few months, at home. You may find yourself in the same situation with your small container of Vaseline, and with other toiletries, etc. that you want to have for use. How are you planning to manage this?

- Sleeping bag and liner. Yes, i done the same. Now i will take a extremely light down bag (240g) with a full zipper.
Oooh what type of sleeping bag is that, where did you get it.

As for phone charger I use a solar battery bank. It can be charged up in normal way, but also charges itself from the Sun, I keep it attached to a shoulder strap, had it 6 years now, same size and weight as an average smartphone. Does the job, I like it. Rarely needs charged at night and if it is very bright I top the phone up on the hoof. Rarely need to recharge phone from mains either. It was given to me as a present and on looking it up it is no longer made. But there are others that look like it on ebay and amazon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oooh what type of sleeping bag is that, where did you get it.

It's a Cumulus Magic Zip 100.
I have used the Sea2Summit Spark 0 previously, which weighs slightly more (iirc ~260g). This one "only" has a 1/3 zip, and i usually was to warm around my feet so i will change that out.

So mr. Bean is not so happy with you right now. I was looking for him and he was not there.
I really enjoyed your video.
So interesting to see what a guy brings in his toiletries.
I can recommend Patagonias Puff jackett, it weighs next to nothing and can be packed down to something that equals a can of Coke. I have tested it in minus five celcius on a five km. walk and I was warm. The Patagonia Puffs alco comes without sleeves - would that be a vest. In England a vest is an entirely different thing.

A down vest (sleeveless) or jacket (with sleeves) is very welcome on chilly evenings - going out, or in the albergue - when your body is tired and needs the cosyness. Then you can supplement a very lightweight sleeping bag, by just laying it over your torso or legs and pushing it off if you get too hot. (I take a sleeveless vest, so I can wear it in bed, but a jacket would likely get too hot.)

Thus, it might be better to add a down vest or jacket instead of getting a warmer sleeping bag for colder seasons.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for that thorough list - it isn't far off my own. I bought a €3 normal umbrella in Burgos and tied it to my pack straps to shade me from the blistering sun in Sept 18, and for Christmas I treated myself to the Euroschirm with the longer handle and the fixings, to protect from the sun and rain. It is not the lightest of things, but from now on I shall tell myself that it will be saving me carrying (even) more water! When do you think Mr Bean will forgive you?

Thanks for that Anhalter. What with the bag ideas Robo gave me I'm in for an enjoyable time making my mind up.

Yes a vest is quite different in the UK, though being Northumbrian , I would quite happily trudge about in - 5degC in a vest. UK style. (😝)
Seriously a string vest makes a great base layer in winter. https://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collec...oducts/brynje-super-thermo-t-shirt-with-inlay
What you youth across the water call a vest is a waistcoat in the UK.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

When the Loveparade in Berlin was a thing, i seen plenty of people wearing that kind of shirts ;)
But honestly, if boosting warmth is the main concern, they are told to be real good. I would not pack it, because i would not wear it by itself. Rather spend 50g on something with the same warmth and save weight elsewhere.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Robo
As you will be walking the Vdlp, I have been remembering my own experience on the VdlP with replacing toiletries and other substances which I had used up. Much of the time, I was walking in a rural area, with shops often some distance apart. One purchase remains in my mind: going into the town shop in a small town, looking for toothpaste, which I was entirely out of. The only available tube was huge: as I remember, at least 100 ml. I did not want to do without toothpaste or to squeeze most of it out, so I bought it and used it for the rest of my camino, and for the next few months, at home. You may find yourself in the same situation with your small container of Vaseline, and with other toiletries, etc. that you want to have for use. How are you planning to manage this?

Great tip. I'll investigate a larger tube or maybe tooth powder?

Thanks for that thorough list - it isn't far off my own. I bought a €3 normal umbrella in Burgos and tied it to my pack straps to shade me from the blistering sun in Sept 18, and for Christmas I treated myself to the Euroschirm with the longer handle and the fixings, to protect from the sun and rain. It is not the lightest of things, but from now on I shall tell myself that it will be saving me carrying (even) more water! When do you think Mr Bean will forgive you?

He's on my desk now. Still not speaking! :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Albertagirl regarding consumales/toiletries i prefer to start with a rather small amount and buy replacements along the way. On my CF that was never an issue, especially since those things don't empty from one day to another.
This has the advantage that on your first days, when your body is still adapting to the new stress, you do not carry overly much. If you have to replace some 25ml with a 100ml 3 weeks in, i guess it won't matter as much.

@Albertagirl regarding consumales/toiletries i prefer to start with a rather small amount and buy replacements along the way. On my CF that was never an issue, especially since those things don't empty from one day to another.
This has the advantage that on your first days, when your body is still adapting to the new stress, you do not carry overly much. If you have to replace some 25ml with a 100ml 3 weeks in, i guess it won't matter as much.
You can carry, or buy, pretty much what you want on the Frances, but the longer and less walked the route is the less choice you have. This is not a huge issue, but things that you take for granted may be only available in sizes, or brands, or alternative products when you run out. This is one of the minor ways that it may be necessary to either take larger amounts of personal products or accept that you may not be able to buy what you have always taken for granted. I dislike perfumed products and sometimes respond allergically to strong perfume, for example, but I have been in places in Spain where skin care products seemed to be always perfumed. The simple choice is to either take more of some personal or skin care product or accept that when your tiny amount of whatever runs out you must make do with what you can find, in whatever quantities it is sold in. Not generally a big deal, unless you have lots of allergies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Which sleeping bag is 240 gm? Please do tell.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nice video Robo. Your looking good! For me, no umbrellas, no rainpants, no deodarant, no soap or shampoo. No sandals either. No bathing suit. No towels, etc. Staying in private rooms.

My own clothing and rain systems, 18 liter Osprey backpack. 14 oz sleeping sack and 4oz silk sack (private facilities turn off the heat at night too). Medicines, vasoline etc. All toll about 6Ibs.

What I also take includes, 1 pair of clear protection glasses to prevent the dust rain, hail and snow, from blowing in. They are a saver when the winds are fierce.
An immersion heater, a titanium cup, Individual packets of chicken bouillon to make soup and enrich occasional tasteless food and replace salt. And decaf black tea bags. Traveling lite, even in winter!

Last edited:
I've read many responses as to what's in your pack...when you start out. My question is "What did you find in your pack, that was unexpected, when you got home?" In my case, it was a piece of cheese and a dirty sock. Not sure which smelled worse.
You should probably post this as a new thread, arn?

€60,-
A 'survival blanket' (the kind that is wrapped around marathon runners after a race - looks like silver foil) weighs almost nothing and turns a cold shivering body toasty warm on those frigid nights.

Ladies glow, gentlemen perspire, horses sweat and anyone sleeping under a survival blanket sweats their arse off.

or so my grandmother used to say.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just bought one. Will let you know how many chicks I hatch.
Honestly, they’re more useless than you could imagine. In a genuine survival situation they’re better than nothing - one would keep you alive. Not because it’ll keep you warm or dry, but because you’ll be so focussed on remonstrating with whoever recommended it to you that the cold, wet and dark night will just fly-by. If you’ve kept the receipt, you’ve still got an option.

Honestly, they’re more useless than you could imagine. In a genuine survival situation they’re better than nothing - one would keep you alive. Not because it’ll keep you warm or dry, but because you’ll be so focussed on remonstrating with whoever recommended it to you that the cold, wet and dark night will just fly-by. If you’ve kept the receipt, you’ve still got an option.
LOL & thank you! Yes, I still have the receipt and when I visit Bethesda next month will be near an REI to return. I was looking forward to the crinkly sounds blocking out the snoring.

Ladies glow, gentlemen perspire, horses sweat and anyone sleeping under a survival blanket sweats their arse off.

or so my grandmother used to say.
I agree. A key to survival in the cold is keeping your core (chest cavity area) warm. Everything else is expendable. A simple trash bag, cut out at the head and arms becomes a “lifesaver”. It weighs nothing, when worn over, even a cotton shirt ( not recommended for hiking) your body temperature will dry it and it reduces stress in tenuous situations. Oh, did I mention it's dirt cheap? Eat your receipts out survival purchasers.

I like your video Rob. My thoughts are that it will serve as a terrific reference for beginners and gives good food for thought to those who are experienced walkers. Thank you for your efforts. :)👏👏👍👍

As I was debating with myself about adding my two cents, it occurred to me that, first and foremost, experienced walkers - be they pilgrims or backpackers on through hikes - know what they want to bring, have developed a 'system' of how to use what they bring, and there is really no notion of what is 'better or worse' in terms of contents in a backpack. A case in point: you like your water bottle system, and I prefer a water reservoir/bladder. The accomplish the same thing, are equally easy to deal with and fill, but it is how we choose to interact with those two systems which define our preferences.

In my mind, it is less about what one decides to carry, it is about IF what is carried is fully utilized, and if that item choice gives you a good weight-to-cost ratio. There are some choices that help with the adage that ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

Novices are different. They do not know what they do not know. So this type of thread, and your video, are exceedingly helpful in drilling down to essentials. It helps whittle away the beginner's 'packing your fears' dilemma, which helps to reduce the weight carried.

What is the difference in how an experienced walker packs and a newbie/novice: One packs with fear and what-ifs; the other packs with knowledge and experience.

For clothing, as an example. For temperature ranges from 28F (-2c) to blazing hot, my clothes closet in my pack weighs about 3.7 pounds (1.72kg) and takes up very little space. My knowledge - shared by many here - on how to layer, and with what fabric materials to have in my clothing, keeps me from needing a backpack full of clothes weighing 10 pounds or more.

And that knowledge and experience carries over into each and every gear choice made. As novices gain knowledge, their burden gets lighter and their enjoyment grows.

Gear and clothing choices do not have to be expensive, either. A Camino-only backpack only needs to last as long as a Camino walk. That means that lesser quality materials and construction are just fine. Find the least expensive gear that gives you the comfort and usability you want. And nowadays, inexpensive gear that is lighter in weight does not need to equal junk which will fall apart after a week of walking.

Technological innovations in materials and manufacturing may inform us of changes which we may decide to make. An example are down garments. Nowadays down jackets, sleeping quilts, vests, etc are treated with a hydrophobic compound. It adds no weight, no smell, no chemical negatives.

What it does do is allow me to use down in a manner that I wouldn't use it decades ago when I first started backpacking and climbing. I can take my down sleeping quilt, throw it in a lake, and the water does not saturate and collapse the down. It remains just as insulative as ever. Of course the fabric nylon shell is wet and needs to dry out, but the down simply sheds the water.

That made me trade in my polartec for down with my vest and puffy. New synthetics like my Nano Air jacket is pretty light for a synthetic, but not as light as an 800 fill down.

When I return to the Camino, this is my packing list. This is what is in the backpack. Note that this is a base weight measurement which does NOT include water or snacks. If backpacking, my base weight increases by about 3.8 pounds (1.7 kg), which adds my tent, mattress, and cooking gear, and a few other ancillaries for wilderness travel.

This is also for 3-season use from the middle of spring thru middle fall. Increasing extremes from cold weather would change what goes into my 'house'.

I attempted to add the weight measurements in grams, but I think there is a discrepancy of being 'light' by 400+/- grams during my attempts at converting the sums.

1613694072607.png

I like your video Rob. My thoughts are that it will serve as a terrific reference for beginners and gives good food for thought to those who are experienced walkers. Thank you for your efforts. :)👏👏👍👍

As I was debating with myself about adding my two cents, it occurred to me that, first and foremost, experienced walkers - be they pilgrims or backpackers on through hikes - know what they want to bring, have developed a 'system' of how to use what they bring, and there is really no notion of what is 'better or worse' in terms of contents in a backpack. A case in point: you like your water bottle system, and I prefer a water reservoir/bladder. The accomplish the same thing, are equally easy to deal with and fill, but it is how we choose to interact with those two systems which define our preferences.

In my mind, it is less about what one decides to carry, it is about IF what is carried is fully utilized, and if that item choice gives you a good weight-to-cost ratio. There are some choices that help with the adage that ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

Novices are different. They do not know what they do not know. So this type of thread, and your video, are exceedingly helpful in drilling down to essentials. It helps whittle away the beginner's 'packing your fears' dilemma, which helps to reduce the weight carried.

What is the difference in how an experienced walker packs and a newbie/novice: One packs with fear and what-ifs; the other packs with knowledge and experience.

For clothing, as an example. For temperature ranges from 28F (-2c) to blazing hot, my clothes closet in my pack weighs about 3.7 pounds (1.72kg) and takes up very little space. My knowledge - shared by many here - on how to layer, and with what fabric materials to have in my clothing, keeps me from needing a backpack full of clothes weighing 10 pounds or more.

And that knowledge and experience carries over into each and every gear choice made. As novices gain knowledge, their burden gets lighter and their enjoyment grows.

Gear and clothing choices do not have to be expensive, either. A Camino-only backpack only needs to last as long as a Camino walk. That means that lesser quality materials and construction are just fine. Find the least expensive gear that gives you the comfort and usability you want. And nowadays, inexpensive gear that is lighter in weight does not need to equal junk which will fall apart after a week of walking.

Technological innovations in materials and manufacturing may inform us of changes which we may decide to make. An example are down garments. Nowadays down jackets, sleeping quilts, vests, etc are treated with a hydrophobic compound. It adds no weight, no smell, no chemical negatives.

What it does do is allow me to use down in a manner that I wouldn't use it decades ago when I first started backpacking and climbing. I can take my down sleeping quilt, throw it in a lake, and the water does not saturate and collapse the down. It remains just as insulative as ever. Of course the fabric nylon shell is wet and needs to dry out, but the down simply sheds the water.

That made me trade in my polartec for down with my vest and puffy. New synthetics like my Nano Air jacket is pretty light for a synthetic, but not as light as an 800 fill down.

When I return to the Camino, this is my packing list. This is what is in the backpack. Note that this is a base weight measurement which does NOT include water or snacks. If backpacking, my base weight increases by about 3.8 pounds (1.7 kg), which adds my tent, mattress, and cooking gear, and a few other ancillaries for wilderness travel.

This is also for 3-season use from the middle of spring thru middle fall. Increasing extremes from cold weather would change what goes into my 'house'.

I attempted to add the weight measurements in grams, but I think there is a discrepancy of being 'light' by 400+/- grams during my attempts at converting the sums.

View attachment 93881

Impressively 'light' @davebugg .

Great perspective. It's not about specific gear or items, but conceptually how we intend to use them, in isolation or combined with other bits of gear.

If I was really serious I'm sure I could take another kg out of mine. :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A 'survival blanket' (the kind that is wrapped around marathon runners after a race - looks like silver foil) weighs almost nothing and turns a cold shivering body toasty warm on those frigid nights.

I do have one, though never taken on Camino.
We used to use them 30 years ago in the Army during Winter mountain treks.

The idea (I think) was to wrap it around the torso (as it reflects heat) of the person in trouble and then layer their clothes on top, finally putting them in a sleeping bag that then went inside a survival bag. (thick plastic bag to keep wind and rain off)

One of the most effective treatments for serious case of hypothermia as I recall, was to strip the 'patient' down to maybe their base layers, do the same yourself, and both climb into the same sleeping bag! And hug each other. Seriously.

It's very effective at warming up the 'patient'. Of course the primary objective was to 'get them off the hill' asap. These sorts of things would be done whilst awaiting rescue for someone who could not be moved.

Beware.
Do not start shivering on a mountain top near Pilgrim Rob! :eek:

I seem to remember at one stage being taught how to make a 'field sauna' to revive frozen soldiers.
An old parachute hung up in a tree, a good fire (outside it) and some sizeable rocks to heat up.........that would go into the centre of the 'teepee'. A lifetime ago..........

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View attachment 93881
Hi Dave,
I read your post with great interest and joy! We and I am so happy you are able to post again.

Are all down jackets now treated to prevent water damage, or should we look for a specific label on the down products?

What type of wearable warning lights do your use and do they clip or strap on?

Coninued prayer......

Last edited:
@davebugg The grams of your backpack seem off. 511gr does not correspond to 2lbs 2oz.

Personally, i don't like your list that much. There are many points that are good, but some items seem excessivly heavy in comparison to beeing extremly UL on other parts. (like 200g for water carrying items vs saving weight on deodorant).
But of course, if it works for you, thats perfectly fine :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Dave,
I read your post withgreat interest and joy! We and I am so happy you are able to post again.

Are all down jackets now treated to prevent water damage, or should we look for a specific label on the down products?

What type wearable warnng lights do your use and do they clip or strap on?

Coninued prayer......

Thank you :)

The garment labels should identify the treated down. And there doesn't seem to be a specific price point of an item for the treatment. I have seen Costco products and a few inexpensive Amazon offerings offering hydrophobic treated down.

When I have used treated down, it is used as my insulative layer. I will still use normal protections for it with my outer layer/shell (weather layer) to minimize exposure to dampness or wet. If it does manage to get wet, it will still insulate and will dry out far quicker than the untreated down.

The wearable lights I found are these from Amazon, but there are many different brands.

Hi Dave,
I read your post with great interest and joy! We and I am so happy you are able to post again.

What type of wearable warnng lights do your use and do they clip or strap on?

Coninued prayer......
Though I do have a headlamp (for early departures) I use reflective straps attached to the back of my pack. Can be seen well down the road.

@davebugg The grams of your backpack seem off. 511gr does not correspond to 2lbs 2oz.

Personally, i don't like your list that much. There are many points that are good, but some items seem excessivly heavy in comparison to beeing extremly UL on other parts. (like 200g for water carrying items vs saving weight on deodorant).
But of course, if it works for you, thats perfectly fine :)

If you read the complete text, I said that my calculations for metric were off in some instances. I hurriedly added a 'grams' column which I never included before. I was hoping to give a reference to those members who don't do pounds and ounces. However, the weights are accurate as stated in pounds and ounces. So feel free to make corrections to numbers that are off.

The backpack gram conversion was off because I mistakenly used 1.2 pounds, having misread my listing of 2.2 pounds. A case of not using my reading glasses and being to hurried. :)

Excessively heavy is a subjective judgement, and is not relevant when comparing apples to oranges. What I have as gear is based on specific usage and specifications. I have access to any gear available for sale or distribution in America, so my choices are based on various criteria, which does include weight, but is not exclusively based on weight.

For instance, I do not know of any backpack that is significantly lighter than the Gossamer Gear Silverback I am using IF comparing the same design elements, the specs I want, the durability I need, the usability I prefer, and the capacity I require I find that backpack to be on target. My Gossamer Gear Mariposa is lighter, but it doesn't use the same internal frame support. My Mystery Ranch backpack, same capacity, designed for the military weighs near 7 pounds. Heck, even a difference in the sizes offered for the Silverback (spine length) results in differing weights.

You may have a fair point about the water carrying equipment, it is excessive for a Camino with frequent water sources. I decided to include what I might need to bring on any backpacking trip. On Camino Frances and Ingles, I did not take and carry all the bottles listed. But since I have used that entire amount when backpacking the Mojave and Death Valley, and on some sections during my thru hikes on the PCT and Colorado Trail, I felt it only fair to keep all bottles listed.

Based on your input, I may decide to only list what I actually carried on the Caminos.

Light, ultralight, hyperlight, stupidlight. . . none of that really means a thing - in and of itself - without the context of user comfort, fit, and usability. And I suppose we should add 'budget' as well. :)

Let me add that I do not consider my list to be THE list of all lists :). It is just one post among several others who have offered their real world examples. I am certain that your gear list would be a positive addition to this thread.

Last edited:
Ah, that's a link to the packing list.

I'll do a video at the weekend about the water system.
Thanks - I have a system using collapsible bottles and my daughter's hairbands, but not nearly as good as yours & I'd like to copy it

Though I do have a headlamp (for early departures) I use reflective straps attached to the back of my pack. Can be seen well down the road.

I use a headlamp rechargeable with USB chord so it is very light...no need for batteries and 800 lumens. Cheap and holding up well so far. I also carry a second back up light so when we leave very early...just in case. But when on a road I am looking for something lite. I have used taped strips but not sure how far away they can be seen.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...Light, ultralight, hyperlight, stupidlight. . . none of that really means a thing - in and of itself - without the context of user comfort, fit, and usability. And I suppose we should add 'budget' as well. :)

Let me add that I do not consider my list to be THE list of all lists :). It is just one post among several others who have offered their real world examples. I am certain that your gear list would be a positive addition to this thread.

I did not intend to imply that your list was "wrong" and did not understand it as to be "the" list :)
I just looked at some things, and from my, ! personal !, point of view some things don't make sense. But of course they can make perfect sense in your "usage szenario".

Heres my list, i am not sure if i did forget something and please don't kill me for my 5-minute translation ;)

edit: With my toiletries there is a bit of guessing involved. I dont have some items at the moment to weigh them. Some might weigh less, some more. I think total should be more or less correct.
edit2: Trekking Poles are 2 Pieces 158g each.
edit3: forgot my wallet (35-40g filled) and my daypack (45g). Also am strongly considering taking an umbrella mainly for sun reasons (100-200g).

1613742867136.png

Last edited:
I use a headlamp rechargeable with USB chord so it is very light...no need for batteries and 800 lumens. Cheap and holding up well so far. I also carry a second back up light so when we leave very early...just in case. But when on a road I am looking for something lite. I have used taped strips but not sure how far away they can be seen.
  • The chance of being struck and killed as a pedestrian increases 1,100% after dark.
  • National Safety Council
    More than 70% of cyclist vs. vehicle collisions and fatalities happen between 6 and 11pm.
  • In recent years, the number of pedestrian fatalities in the United States has increased 27% from 2007 to 2016, while at the same time, all other traffic deaths decreased by 14 percent. Pedestrians now account for a larger proportion of traffic fatalities than they have in the past 33 years. GHSA Pedestrian Traffic Fatalities by State, 2017
  • They can be seen as far back as the illumination can detect. Some wear a vest, others added to the torso. It's the movement of the strip that attracts the attention of the driver.

More than 70% of cyclist vs. vehicle collisions and fatalities happen between 6 and 11pm.

One very small and lightweight item I have is rear facing Radar. It gives an audible warning when cars approach and an all clear when the last car has passed. Not wishing to end up in a ditch.

Strikes me there is an opportunity for a walkers' version if it could be set up correctly (height and direction)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
  • The chance of being struck and killed as a pedestrian increases 1,100% after dark.
  • National Safety Council
  • In recent years, the number of pedestrian fatalities in the United States has increased 27% from 2007 to 2016, while at the same time, all other traffic deaths decreased by 14 percent. Pedestrians now account for a larger proportion of traffic fatalities than they have in the past 33 years. GHSA Pedestrian Traffic Fatalities by State, 2017
  • They can be seen as far back as the illumination can detect. Some wear a vest, others added to the torso. It's the movement of the strip that attracts the attention of the driver.
Thanks for this information. Most of the time we are not on busy roads in Spain before dawn. And another factor is that many Spanish folks are not driving before first light.

The point about the movement of the reflector is a good one. Perhaps I can use wrist reflectors which would be seen from behind as I move my poles,which I use no matter what kind of weather there is.

Hello All:
Here is my two cents worth on safety lights. I managed to find a rechargeable light intended for bicycle used. It has an elastic strap to grip around the bike handle as well a clip to hang on an approximate place. I simply wrap it to my right hand pole (reason is that in U.S.A. we drive on the right, so by walking against traffic; the light would be closer to cars to notice). Not only provides me the chance to be seen by drivers but also allows me to see ahead of my walking path. Please refer to attached photos.

Buen Camino,
Ivan

Attachments

• FB702654-23F6-409E-9CCD-8CFEBBAB2653.jpeg
    FB702654-23F6-409E-9CCD-8CFEBBAB2653.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 97501EEA-F01C-4539-9A1B-7CC4089499DC.jpeg
    97501EEA-F01C-4539-9A1B-7CC4089499DC.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 31
Hi all !
I don' t know if this will help anyone especially Marbe2 who asked the question!!
I brought these of Amazon in December they had very good reviews!
Lightweight (19 grams each) 3 light setting(strobe and static);waterproof ,clip or strap.
If i can see um from a distance; they are pretty good.
Also battery life is up to 100 hours per battery so with spares should last a Camino.
Mods not sure if you can show all the info below so feel free to modify.
Woody

LED Safety Lights (3 Pack) + FREE Bonuses | Clip on Flashing Strobe Light High Visibility for Running Jogging Walking Cycling for Kids Dogs Bicycle Helmet Bike Tail light​

3 Pack (Red + White + Red) LED lights have 5 Ultra Bright LEDs per item. Each one is powered by two coin type batteries which are already fitted. This gives powerful super brightness for up to 100 hours.
2x Extra spare CR2032 battery included, 1x Mini screwdriver (for easily opening the back)
3x Adjustable Elasticated straps for mounting.Clip-on, versatile blinking warning light,
Features: 3 setting modes: steady, fast strobe, slow flash. Conveniently simple to use and user friendly. With it's strong heavy duty back clip it can hook on backpacks, pockets, belt, running gear, armbands. A handy low maintenance product. Weather resistant, Ideal for all conditions.

€60,-
I did not intend to imply that your list was "wrong" and did not understand it as to be "the" list :)
I just looked at some things, and from my, ! personal !, point of view some things don't make sense. But of course they can make perfect sense in your "usage szenario".

Heres my list, i am not sure if i did forget something and please don't kill me for my 5-minute translation ;)

edit: With my toiletries there is a bit of guessing involved. I dont have some items at the moment to weigh them. Some might weigh less, some more. I think total should be more or less correct.
edit2: Trekking Poles are 2 Pieces 158g each.
edit3: forgot my wallet (35-40g filled) and my daypack (45g). Also am strongly considering taking an umbrella mainly for sun reasons (100-200g).

:) Ahhh. . the guess work with the toiletries and bits of tape and stuff like that. . . I hear you, Stuff that really makes it hard to get a good weight is a pain if you are trying to get an accurate weight, even if you have the stuff. Even if I have my scale, some stuff is so light that I cannot use imperial weights, I have to use grams, and then convert to Imperial. And even then, if I put all those little bits and dabs of stuff together on the scale, the weight is different than when weighed separately.:p

I did not interpret your post as saying my list was wrong. My response was to try and provide a bit of insight into how I view the role of weight as it relates to the function of my gear and clothing choices. As part of a conversation, sometimes it helps me to know the 'Why' of a decision, if I know the rationale someone uses in arriving at those decisions.

Your list looks good. The Bonfus Iterus model backpack is similar, though a bit lighter, than my Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Windrider that I used as an approach pack back in 2011. Great backpacks, although, even at ultralight loads, my back now prefers to have at least a minimal internal frame or frame sheet to handle the transference of the load to the hip belt.

Hi all !
I don' t know if this will help anyone especially Marbe2 who asked the question!!
I brought these of Amazon in December they had very good reviews!
Lightweight (19 grams each) 3 light setting(strobe and static);waterproof ,clip or strap.
If i can see um from a distance; they are pretty good.
Also battery life is up to 100 hours per battery so with spares should last a Camino.
Mods not sure if you can show all the info below so feel free to modify.
Woody

That is so funny, woody; those appear identical to the lights I listed off of Amazon, but they are a different brand. They probably come out of the same factory. 😄 The battery life is really good when using the slower flashing setting.

The Bonfus Iterus model backpack is similar, though a bit lighter, than my Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Windrider that I used as an approach pack back in 2011. Great backpacks, although, even at ultralight loads, my back now prefers to have at least a minimal internal frame or frame sheet to handle the transference of the load to the hip belt.
The Bonfus is a huge way up regarding comfort from my GG Murmur that i was using for my 2019 CF :)

I understand your argument for a framed pack, but i would not want to carry a bulky pack. And framed packs around the 25-30L mark are hard to find (well, there are options, but they are usually lacking features like a front mesh, daisy chain or are ridiculously heavy for the size)
The HMG 2400 models are a fair bit bigger than the Iterus. Had the chance to get my hands on both of them.
If i was to go with a frame, the ZPacks Arc (Blast, Scout, not sure which it was exactly) really looked a lot better made than what one might expect by all the bad reviews they get online. But that one would have cost at least double for me due to taxes and shipping.

So the powerbank I'm planning on weighs just 66 gms.
It is 3,350 mAh. Lipstick sized.

I have another which is 5,200 mAH but it's double the weight at 125 gms.
Not sure I need that much capacity......
I figure the powerbank is only if you are unable to charge your phone one evening for some reason. Or if you do something stupid like put the phone in your pocket with the flashlight on. Therefore it doesn't need to be any bigger than to charge the phone once. More capacity than that can add weight in a hurry.

So does stuff you carry in your pockets count? I carry my wallet, phone, pocketknife, and flashlight in my pockets every day. So should they be counted in my pack weight?

The Bonfus is a huge way up regarding comfort from my GG Murmur that i was using for my 2019 CF :)

I understand your argument for a framed pack, but i would not want to carry a bulky pack. And framed packs around the 25-30L mark are hard to find (well, there are options, but they are usually lacking features like a front mesh, daisy chain or are ridiculously heavy for the size)
The HMG 2400 models are a fair bit bigger than the Iterus. Had the chance to get my hands on both of them.
If i was to go with a frame, the ZPacks Arc (Blast, Scout, not sure which it was exactly) really looked a lot better made than what one might expect by all the bad reviews they get online. But that one would have cost at least double for me due to taxes and shipping.

When I was hired by zPacks to do a QA gear test for the Zpacks Arc series after it had been out for two model years, I could not dial in the pack to a comfort level due to the design of the harness system. It never hurt, it just always had my attention like an annoying buzzing mosquito. It is a common complaint with that backpack series, but a lot of folks do find it very comfortable.

A lot of times, the manufacturer will let me keep the gear or shoes or whatever, but I sent the zPacks back. I did keep their Vertice rain jacket from a different QA testing, though. :)

The backpacks I have used on Camino do have more capacity than is needed for town to town walks. But they are used for more than one application. I do choose the best one for Camino walking, but it will also be one I use for 10 day backpacking trips in the wild. They are well-fitted so the capacity isn't an issue; I forget that I am carrying it.

So does stuff you carry in your pockets count? I carry my wallet, phone, pocketknife, and flashlight in my pockets every day. So should they be counted in my pack weight?
I don't. I also don't bother to weigh each item, unless I'm trying to decide between two options. I just put everything in my pack and weigh it altogether.

The short answer is no. The more comprehensive answer breaks the weight measurements into three broad categories

Standard Definitions for Backpack Load Measurements

1. Base Weight
is the weight of the backpack and non-consumable contents. This is all equipment and clothing you carry in the backpack for the conditions expected during a backpacking trip. It does not include consumables like food, water, and fuel; those are not included in the base weight because they are variable.

As an example, for backpacking during during the three non-winter seasons, my base weight is the same since my backpacking trips occur between 7 and 12,000 feet (2140 to 3660 meters). My clothing and gear cover the potential weather extremes for all three seasons.

2. Total Pack Weight includes the base weight plus the weight of food and fuel and water carried between resupply points. For example, my base weight on my Pacific Crest Trail and Colorado Trail thru-hikes was about 14 pounds. Tent, sleeping quilt, mattress, clothing, cooking gear, empty water bladder, etc. With a 7 day supply of food and fuel, the total weight increased my load to about 22 - 23 pounds. Of course, each day that weight decreased as the consumables were depleted.

3. Total Skin Out Weight includes the TOTAL starting backpack weight, plus the clothing one is wearing plus anything being carried in worn clothing. It would even include what you just ate for breakfast. As with Total Pack Weight, it is a variable measurement: as consumables are used up, the weight goes down.

Out of all the above definitions, for a Camino, base weight is going to be the most important planning factor. The amount of food carried is minimal compared to backpacking in the wild, and water is constantly consumed and not a big, static load. And unless one is carrying cooking gear, fuel for stoves, as a consumable, is nonexistent.

Skin out weight measurements are a bit of a quandry. The mechanics of carrying a backpack are different than how weight is carried at the body. Center of gravity, forces on the shoulders and hips are not the same. It is why body weight loss is not a direct exchange with backpack weight. In other words, losing 10 pounds of weight does not make up for 10 pounds of gear in a backpack.

However, total skin out weight does add to musculoskelatal impacts to joints and feet, so losing ten pounds, or carrying less in pockets, will have a positive affect overall.

Last edited:
The HMG 2400 models are a fair bit bigger than the Iterus.

True. It's capacity is about 5 liters more.

I never cared for the Murmur, either. I do like the Ranger 35, though it is no longer in the GG inventory.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The short answer is no. The more comprehensive answer breaks the weight measurements into three broad categories

Standard Definitions for Backpack Load Measurements

1. Base Weight
is the weight of the backpack and non-consumable contents. This is all equipment and clothing you carry in the backpack for the conditions expected during a backpacking trip. It does not include consumables like food, water, and fuel; those are not included in the base weight because they are variable.

As an example, for backpacking during during the three non-winter seasons, my base weight is the same since my backpacking trips occur between 7 and 12,000 feet (2140 to 3660 meters). My clothing and gear cover the potential weather extremes for all three seasons.

2. Total Pack Weight includes the base weight plus the weight of food and fuel and water carried between resupply points. For example, my base weight on my Pacific Crest Trail and Colorado Trail thru-hikes was about 14 pounds. Tent, sleeping quilt, mattress, clothing, cooking gear, empty water bladder, etc. With a 7 day supply of food and fuel, the total weight increased my load to about 22 - 23 pounds. Of course, each day that weight decreased as the consumables were depleted.

3. Total Skin Out Weight includes the TOTAL starting backpack weight, plus the clothing one is wearing plus anything being carried in worn clothing. It would even include what you just ate for breakfast. As with Total Pack Weight, it is a variable measurement: as consumables are used up, the weight goes down.

Out of all the above definitions, for a Camino, base weight is going to be the most important planning factor. The amount of food carried is minimal compared to backpacking in the wild, and water is constantly consumed and not a big, static load. And unless one is carrying cooking gear, fuel for stoves, as a consumable, is nonexistent.

Skin out weight measurements are a bit of a quandry. The mechanics of carrying a backpack are different than how weight is carried at the body. Center of gravity, forces on the shoulders and hips are not the same. It is why body weight loss is not a direct exchange with backpack weight. In other words, losing 10 pounds of weight does not make up for 10 pounds of gear in a backpack.

However, total skin out weight does add to musculoskelatal impacts to joints and feet, so losing ten pounds, or carrying less in pockets, will have a positive affect overall.

Clearly it doesn’t matter - so long as one defines the terms. Personally, I set out my packing list ‘skin out’ - I allow the contents of my stomach to be the ‘+e’ at the end of the equation!

I walk in spring and autumn and could be in shorts and a singlet one day and full waterproofs and thermal layers the next. That was precisely the case in late 2015. The assumption as to what I’ll be wearing vs carrying would change my calculated pack weight by 25%.

What still defeats me is rucksack weight. I use an Osprey Kestrel 38, which is rather bigger than I need - but I’ve got a long back, wide shoulders, cannot abide frameless sacks and want a decent hip-belt. It’s 1500g as made; 1450g after some cutting and pruning

Clearly it doesn’t matter - so long as one defines the terms. Personally, I set out my packing list ‘skin out’ - I allow the contents of my stomach to be the ‘+e’ at the end of the equation!

I walk in spring and autumn and could be in shorts and a singlet one day and full waterproofs and thermal layers the next. That was precisely the case in late 2015. The assumption as to what I’ll be wearing vs carrying would change my calculated pack weight by 25%.

What still defeats me is rucksack weight. I use an Osprey Kestrel 38, which is rather bigger than I need - but I’ve got a long back, wide shoulders, cannot abide frameless sacks and want a decent hip-belt. It’s 1500g as made; 1450g after some cutting and pruning

If you have a good fit and comfort with your backpack, you can always look at other items in you backpack to shave of grams of weight. For instance, if you find that you consistently have a good amount of water left over after a days walk. or that doesn't get used between water sources, reducing some of that water volume will save a lot of grams.

The same goes for consumables you might carry like toothpaste or deodorant or vaseline. Containers and stuff sacks are also quick and inexpensive ways to cut a few grams, if you are able to do it. You may have already given thought to all of this, though, so carry on my friend :)

I still have to keep thinking about this stuff even after decades of backpacking. Yeesh.:eek:

Dave,

I’m spending lockdown with an electronic spring balance, spreadsheet and a craft-knife literally shaving grammes off my ‘skin-out’ weight. I’ve done some work on my ‘skin-in’ weight also!

I’m post some of my success stories when I get time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dave,

I’m spending lockdown with an electronic spring balance, spreadsheet and a craft-knife literally shaving grammes off my ‘skin-out’ weight. I’ve done some work on my ‘skin-in’ weight also!

Now THATs dedication :)

I figure the powerbank is only if you are unable to charge your phone one evening for some reason. Or if you do something stupid like put the phone in your pocket with the flashlight on. Therefore it doesn't need to be any bigger than to charge the phone once. More capacity than that can add weight in a hurry.

Yes I agree. Really only need 1 charge.
My phone sadly doesn't last a full day as I take a lot of video, use the gps etc etc.

My old phone (samsung Note 3) was great. pull off the back and throw in the spare battery!

Progress? Now I have to carry a power bank :rolleyes:

Stuff that really makes it hard to get a good weight is a pain if you are trying to get an accurate weight, even if you have the stuff. Even if I have my scale, some stuff is so light that I cannot use imperial weights, I have to use grams, and then convert to Imperial. And even then, if I put all those little bits and dabs of stuff together on the scale, the weight is different than when weighed separately.:p

I use a set of very accurate digital cooking scales.
Stolen from the kitchen!
To the gram accurate. (of course it has ounces too but I don't really get those)

Obsessive about weight? Who? Me? :rolleyes:

Just an observation. When did ounces become decimalised?

I grew up with pounds and ounces as a kid.
Recipes were like 3 1/4 ounces. Not 3.25
A bit like imperial measures in DIY. What the heck is a 5/8 drill bit in mm? :oops:

Thankfully the old pounds, shillings and pence, just went totally decimal, with 100 pence to the pound.
Imagine trying to convert 3 pounds, 6 shillings and tuppence to decimal!
(it was 20 shillings to the pound and 12 pennies to the shilling)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes I agree. Really only need 1 charge.
My phone sadly doesn't last a full day as I take a lot of video, use the gps etc etc.

My old phone (samsung Note 3) was great. pull off the back and throw in the spare battery!

Progress? Now I have to carry a power bank :rolleyes:
Yes that battery con trick is truly annoying. I have thought for a while that the company that goes back to consumer replaceable batteries would be on a winner.

That question piqued my curiosity. I came to Australia in 1970, and the currency had already successfully gone metric - in 1965 I think. I recall that SI units were already being successfully introduced. But it was chaos back in Britain. I returned on holiday after the Pound was decimalised, and I remember being mystified by the pence being ubiquitously referred to as the “pee”, and still is. Nobody seemed to be aware how Monty Python that sounded. It’s difficult to imagine an American pricing something at 45 see, or whatever.
i gave up trying to absorb the details of Britain’s move to SI. The Wiki article is interminable, (as no doubt was the process).

Yes that battery con trick is truly annoying. I have thought for a while that the company that goes back to consumer replaceable batteries would be on a winner.

100%. My spare Note 3 phone battery only (just weighing) weighed only 54 gms.
And of course it was charged inside the phone.

The other recent 'improvements' on phones of course, significant for those who use the phone for shooting video.......

Many no longer have the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Essential when using an external mic. So now you have to use an adapter to plug the mice into the charging port......

But even more frustrating, many no longer have the ability to add a micro SD memory card!

I doubt many phones will have enough internal memory to shoot 4k video on a 40 day Camino :(
And who wants to be always trying to 'conserve' space in case you run out?
Move to cloud storage?
Try uploading 128 GB to the cloud at Cafe and Albergue wifi spots!
Whilst you 'hog' all the bandwidth...... !

The latest Samsung phone (and iPhones) no longer take extra memory cards.
So I'm grabbing one of last year's models before they run out of stock.
No more Samsungs or iPhones for me after that sadly.

Sorry. bit of a rant.
Don't you love product improvements? :)

I grew up with pounds and ounces as a kid.
Recipes were like 3 1/4 ounces. Not 3.25

😄 😄 I'm an impaired product of the 60's era experimentation with 'New Math'. It is easier for me to glance at and add (or multiply) 3.25 + 1.75 + 9.50, rather than 3-1/4 + 1-3/4 + 9-1/2.

I doubt many phones will have enough internal memory to shoot 4k video on a 40 day Camino :(
And who wants to be always trying to 'conserve' space in case you run out?
Move to cloud storage?
Try uploading 128 GB to the cloud at Cafe and Albergue wifi spots!
Whilst you 'hog' all the bandwidth...... !

The latest Samsung phone (and iPhones) no longer take extra memory cards.
So I'm grabbing one of last year's models before they run out of stock.
No more Samsungs or iPhones for me after that sadly.

Sorry. bit of a rant.
Don't you love product improvements? :)
My solution has been to take a Sandisk, which about twice the size of thumb drive.

My solution has been to take a Sandisk, which about twice the size of thumb drive.

I'll definitely check that out! :) Do you have a link? The ones I can see are 145 gms?

So as well as my phone, I'll carry extra external memory, and extra external power, because the darned phone no longer has those features built in! :rolleyes:

I'll definitely check that out! :) Do you have a link? The ones I can see are 145 gms?

So as well as my phone, I'll carry extra external memory, and extra external power, because the darned phone no longer has those features built in! :rolleyes:
Mine is an older model 64gig I think. Seems to weigh only 30-40g on my inadequate analogue kitchen scale!

I was just going to mention the disappearing headphone jack when I saw that Robo posted:
Many no longer have the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Essential when using an external mic. So now you have to use an adapter to plug the mice into the charging port......

But even more frustrating, many no longer have the ability to add a micro SD memory card!

I have a Note 9, which has an SD card slot and a headphone jack!

While I love finding lighter weight gear, especially at a good price (case in point - my thread about my new Uniqlo jacket), I don't go nuts over having the lowest possible pack weight. My motto regarding pack weight is "Take what makes you comfortable so long as you can comfortably carry it."

I see they have a card reader. That might work. And just carry a couple of SD cards.
Check it out in a shop before you buy. Not all phones work with external memory systems as I found out when I had a Samsung. I now have a cheap Huawei, superior interface to support external flash drive , jack plug socket, way better camera and space for memory cards. (Honor10), sadly it has a fixed battery and cannot make a decent cup of tea. Oh and probably if I get lost then maybe a kind hearted Chinese "listener" will realise and notify the relevant authorities.

Still refining my packing list.
For newbie Pilgrims this might be of some value. (at least get you thinking)
Every item fits in a 34 litre pack with room to spare.

For the 'old hands' feel free to tell me what I don't need! :)
Or suggest alternatives.

For the Ladies, my wife Pat carries the exact same gear. (+ a couple of sports bras)
We look like twins!
Her stuff fits in a 24 litre pack...

Great job!
I found this wonderful website, The Lighter Pack, where you can input the weight of all your individual items and then analyze what you’ve got and what needs to be pared down.
this is my list (although I never completely filled in all the weights!) for my Portuguese coastal Camino in 2019.

https://lighterpack.com/r/urk0wy

Ooh, I love the ultralight butterfly wallet you mention! I just looked it up! Does it hold Euro notes well or is it sized for American bills only?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great job!
I found this wonderful website, The Lighter Pack, where you can input the weight of all your individual items and then analyze what you’ve got and what needs to be pared down.
this is my list (although I never completely filled in all the weights!) for my Portuguese coastal Camino in 2019.

https://lighterpack.com/r/urk0wy
I love Lighterpack!

Good video - it shows all the basic items and functions, and explains the type of reasoning we all go through when refining our packing lists. Each person makes slightly different choices in the end. I hate to be cold and therefore I take an extra down vest (sleeveless) and an additional sun shirt for walking. It was good advice to test your sleeping clothes at home.
How do you like your sun shirt? I just bought one on sale, but it hasn't arrived yet. (And, it's a bit cool yet to try, since I am in the epic Texas freeze right now. 60 hours without power and overnight temp of zero degrees F . . . but made it through.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How do you like your sun shirt?
Mine is a standard synthetic walking shirt - collar, buttoned, roll-up sleeves, pockets. I have a roomy size and wear it over a very light weight merino wool base layer - depending on the weather, I choose from a sleeveless tank top, t-shirt, or long-sleeved (or even a combination of these). The over shirt is very durable and protects the merino from abrasion due to my backpack, and as a synthetic fabric it even repels a very light sprinkle of rain. It washes and dries very quickly, so I don't get concerned with how dirty it might get - I treat it like an apron or work shirt.

@Robo

I'm also a fan of foam rolling so I purchased a Tiger Tail Roadster for my last Camino - https://tigertailusa.com/product/the-roadster/

At 200g it won't save you any weight but it would save you some space.

Unfortunately, I never got to use it there since it was in a checked bag with my trekking poles that got lost when we changed planes in Dublin. The poles were easy to replace in Spain, but no such luck finding a small foam roller. I just ended up using a water bottle. My checked bag ended up making it home before I did, so I will try and bring it on the next Camino unless I can find something lighter.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Dave,

I think this requires a photo!

I have a vision of you hunched over in candle light whittling a toothbrush handle! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Robo

I'm also a fan of foam rolling so I purchased a Tiger Tail Roadster for my last Camino - https://tigertailusa.com/product/the-roadster/

At 200g it won't save you any weight but it would save you some space.

Unfortunately, I never got to use it there since it was in a checked bag with my trekking poles that got lost when we changed planes in Dublin. The poles were easy to replace in Spain, but no such luck finding a small foam roller. I just ended up using a water bottle. My checked bag ended up making it home before I did, so I will try and bring it on the next Camino unless I can find something lighter.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Nice looking roller. though it might be a bit small diameter to use on shins?
Water bottles certainly can be used under the feet.

In one store a guy actually found me a frozen bottle of water. That was great. Nice and hard under foot.
It got a few strange looks as I used it!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.