• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vigo to Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hi have been informed by pilgrims office that Vigo to Santiago will qualify for compostela 101km. Just wondering if anyone who has done this can confirm. Also where did you get sell or stamps Vigo. We have evening flight arriving 8pm and want to hit road early next day. Also is it easy to pick up route and any recommendations for accommodation. I believe there is a new albergue pepe. Thanks in advance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also where did you get sell or stamps Vigo. We have evening flight arriving 8pm and want to hit road early next day. Also is it easy to pick up route and any recommendations for accommodation.

Hi, you can find the way-marked path quite easily from San Roque, about 300 metres from the main Bus Station (Estación de Autobuses) in Vigo Alta. I stayed at the Hotel Oca Ipanema, using booking.com (and can recommend it). They can stamp your credencial. It was easy to find my way there from San Roque (about 800 metres). Next morning I walked along Rua de Pizarro to join the path again on Rua Urzaiz.

I had no problems getting a stamp at Vigo at the hotel I stayed at. I walked from Lisbon to Santiago last year. If it's not cast in concrete, you might want to get to Vigo a day or so early. It is a pleasant city and there is a very nice national park just off the coast (cheap ferry ride - but you have to apply for a permit in advance which isn't a problem) with some nice trails to day walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, stamps can be had at almost any hotel or bar/restaurant. If you have a little time in Vigo you may want to take a ferry ride across to some of the other towns around the bay. Pleasant boat ride, and (IIRC) only 3 euros.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walk by there in 2018: I think the 100 km marker lays a bit outside the town somehow obscured by the highway.
In town I got my stamp at the tourist info since the church was closed in the morning.
To my knowledge no pilgrim Hostal anymore ,but my hotel was with full bath room and breakfast for 25 Euros.
Very good and affordable lunch at the market hall, go where the market hall workers eat , it’s realy good and not touristy there.
In case you forgot something there is a small decathlon in the pedestrian zone. The walk out of Viigo a bit of a fuddle. At least for me - don’t follow the coastline along the harbor. Bon Camino

Last edited:
Hi have been informed by pilgrims office that Vigo to Santiago will qualify for compostela 101km. Just wondering if anyone who has done this can confirm. Also where did you get sell or stamps Vigo. We have evening flight arriving 8pm and want to hit road early next day. Also is it easy to pick up route and any recommendations for accommodation. I believe there is a new albergue pepe. Thanks in advance
Hi Catherine, I was just wondering how did you get on, any tips would be great! We are thinking of doing this route in September.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that Vigo to SDC is just short of the 100km, unless you start at one of the suburbs to the south. But if the Pilgrims Office accept it, then fine. It's easy if you follow the Coastal route. I used the Wise Pilgrim app (""Wisely" in the app store) with the maps downloaded offline. Looking at the guide, it seems that Castrelos Park, on the south of Vigo, does put you at almost exactly 100km from SDC - so you might want to start there. Vigo airport is closer to SDC, and it is possible to walk directly from the airpot to Redondela (I did, after meeting up with a friend there) but that would definitely be less than the 100km. I'd get a stamp from the Cathedral in Vigo to make sure.

Hi Lou We are actually only travelling end of Sept this year 3oth Sept to 8th Oct into and out of SDC with AL. Have walked last year from Tui to Pontevedra three days and spent three days in Vigo (lovely city) and went back in Oct and walked three days from Pontevedra to SDC with friends. Its a lovely route, so wanted to go back this year and walk from Vigo. Flights no longer avail from Dublin to Vigo, so will get a train from SDC to Vigo. Have contacted the pilgrims office and they confirmed that it is ok for last 100km, although the certificate is not really the main reason I walk. It is to meet people and enjoy the experience. Have just realised there is an EXPO in Vigo on those dates, so may start outside Vigo and just walk through. Have you done a Camino before. Catherine (Wexford)

Hi Lou We are actually only travelling end of Sept this year 3oth Sept to 8th Oct into and out of SDC with AL. Have walked last year from Tui to Pontevedra three days and spent three days in Vigo (lovely city) and went back in Oct and walked three days from Pontevedra to SDC with friends. Its a lovely route, so wanted to go back this year and walk from Vigo. Flights no longer avail from Dublin to Vigo, so will get a train from SDC to Vigo. Have contacted the pilgrims office and they confirmed that it is ok for last 100km, although the certificate is not really the main reason I walk. It is to meet people and enjoy the experience. Have just realised there is an EXPO in Vigo on those dates, so may start outside Vigo and just walk through. Have you done a Camino before. Catherine (Wexford)

Thanks for replying Catherine! We are planning our last 100KM for early Septemeber. We were going to get the train to Vigo Day 0 and start Day 1 by getting the bus out to Baiono and walk back to Vigo, but based on what you were saying I think we'll just start in Vigo! We aren't regular walkers and are expecting to struggle somewhat so if we can cut out a day we will 🙃
I hope you have a great walk!
Louise (Dublin)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for replying Catherine! We are planning our last 100KM for early Septemeber. We were going to get the train to Vigo Day 0 and start Day 1 by getting the bus out to Baiono and walk back to Vigo, but based on what you were saying I think we'll just start in Vigo! We aren't regular walkers and are expecting to struggle somewhat so if we can cut out a day we will 🙃
I hope you have a great walk!
Louise (Dublin)
Just an FYI, I reached out to the Pilgrim's office to ask about starting in Vigo and qualifying for the Compostela and where to start from & they told me to start at the church: "Puede comenzar en la Iglesia de Santiago de Vigo."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So interesting to read all about your trips!
We are leaving for Vigo in 3 weeks time - Would like to find out where we should get passports? Tourist info or rather at the cathedral?
Had to wait HOURS at cathedral in Ponferada in 2016 for the priest to have time to help us....
Any ideas?
Buen Camino

Tourist office open 10am.they also suggested Maria Auxiliadoro Church as it had an office open 1030 to 1330 and 1730 to 2030. Its at ronda Don bosco 6 Vigo. Where r u staying in Vigo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just an FYI, I reached out to the Pilgrim's office to ask about starting in Vigo and qualifying for the Compostela and where to start from & they told me to start at the church: "Puede comenzar en la Iglesia de Santiago de Vigo."
Thanks for the tip!

Hello, my daughter and I are arriving around 8pm into Vigo airport in April. We want to stay in Vigo that night and start the Camino in the morning. We hope to get our first stamp in Vigo at the church or tourist office which we hope will cover us for the last 100km. Thanks to those that informed that tip here. Can anyone advise us, should we get a bus or a taxi into Vigo from the airport and how much would a taxi be? Also, any recommendations for a hotel/b&b that is near to the tourist office or church and easily found at night? Although on a budget, I don't mind spending a bit the first night to get my bearings.

Apparently you can get sellos at most post offices too: https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/services (see the video at the bottom)

The airport bus will cost 1 euro 35 cents and takes about half an hour. Check the vigo airport website for times. Sercotel Hotel Bahia Vigo or Hotel America are fine or Hotel Compostela.

Thanks for that Catherine and Lindie. The airport bus is very cheap! The pilgrims office emailed me back and said we need to start the walk from Iglesia de Santiago. I read on Tripadvisor that we then walk from there to Rua Cantabria to get on the coastal route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We got our stamps at a large hotel in Vigo and then again at the Iglesia de Santiago in the old town. Just a warning - the Camino can be poorly signed on that next coastal section but once you get to Redondela it improves significantly!

Walker_Wisdom. I've booked a hotel beside Iglesia de Santiago so will copy you and get a stamp there and at the church. How did you find the Camino path from the Iglesia de Santiago? I'm looking at maps but it is not clear - as you said. Did you depend on the yellow markers? Another question - We've decided to bring small backpacks with no sleeping bags or sheets and pay more for accommodation rather than pay for check in baggage and then have to carry it. (It is €80 return for check in baggage - so having none and upgrading accommodation is cheaper over 6 nights). Is it easy enough to find relatively cheap accommodation with bed linen between Redondela and Santiago? Don't want to book in advance as I'd like to let my feet decide when to stop walking each day if possible. Going next week.

Plenty of accomodation available with bed linen. You should be fine to not prebook. My sister is on the Camino Frances at present and it is very quiet. Redondela is a nice town, but it you want to go the extra 5K to O Recuncho de Peregrino, he has private rooms for ten euros. Albergue Aloxa in Pontevedra 12 euros, nice kitchen. Dont miss the hot springs in caldas de reis. I am just researching this route again, mainly trying to work out how to get out of Vigo too. Vigo is a lovely city but hilly. I will be interested to hear how you get on for my trip in September. What hotel have you booked in Vigo. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Catherine for that advice on accommodation. I will plan on using those accommodations in Redondela and Pontevedra but as I say, the feet will dictate. I've splashed out the first night on the posh NH Hotel as they are doing a Spring deal at the moment including breakfast. It is the first time my daughter and I are away together so I thought I'd spoil us - she thinks we're staying in a hostel. We will be well set up to get a stamp there or at the Iglesia across the road and hopefully either will advise us on the right route onto the Camino. I'll post here on how we get on.

Thanks Washie, I will look forward to hearing how you get on. I have walked twice with my daughter, once on the Frances and last year from Tui lo Redondela. It is lovely family time. Enjoy.

I think you’ll be fine booking cheap accommodation with linen, that’s a great way to cut down your bag weight. We had sleeping bags but we stayed in a hotel in Caldas anyway - it was a cheap pilgrim room we booked on arrival so didn’t provide towels so perhaps just ask if you want full amenities. Walking from the church to redondela was confusing, we followed arrows and shells for a bit then they disappeared for a while then reappeared... you can always ask local store owners, sometimes we knew we were in the right area as the stores has stickers with shells on them

€60,-
Also, this guy made a video of his trek from Vigo to Santiago starting at Santuario de María Auxiliadora and says that gave him 101Km and he obtained the compostela with that route (see comments):

Last edited:
Thank you Martinigirl. The map route is different out of Vigo than another one I got on this forum. It seems I just have to head north, inland a bit from the coast through Vigo to get to Redondela. I'll be arriving in Santiago de Compostela on Easter Sunday, assuming I walk the right way.

Thank you Martinigirl. The map route is different out of Vigo than another one I got on this forum. It seems I just have to head north, inland a bit from the coast through Vigo to get to Redondela. I'll be arriving in Santiago de Compostela on Easter Sunday, assuming I walk the right way.
Would love to get an update from you once you complete your journey. Buen camino!

The Santiago Church of Vigo is on Facebook.
https://es-la.facebook.com/santiago...unes-a-sábado-de-9-a-13-y-de/449869128418504/
Can somebody confirm that he got the stamp here during normal opening times (not the limited office time)?

Maybe the Refugio of O Freixo (on the hills of Vigo) is a valid starting point too. Vibasa L17 is passing the albergue regularly.
Someone I met on the way recommended the Albergue of Saiáns (next to L10) as a good location to stop in the outskirts of Vigo.

Hello Pillger99, We were in Iglesia de Santiago in Vigo this morning hoping to get a stamp. Mass was on so we couldn't walk around looking for the office. We went back to the hotel across the road and they stamped our passports and said there wasn't anyone at the church doing stamps. We popped back in on our way and no sign of anyone so just moved on. We are in Redondela now and got our second stamp of the day in the first cafe we came across called Villa Bella.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Martini girl and Catherine.
Here is my update on Vigo. You have to walk up the side road to the right if Iglesia de Santiago for about 300m until you come to Rua Uzaiz. Turn left onto it and walk the length of it for 2km until it becomes pedestrianised. At the end of that section, turn left onto Via Toledo. This is marked with a yellow arrow. Walk on Via Toledo going through the crossroads until you come to Rua Cantabria on the right, also marked by a yellow arrow. There are proper way markers from here. To this point took about 30 mins to walk. You then walk through suburbia for about 15 minutes until you come to lovely woodland walkways all marked. Beware! There is not one bench or coffee shop until you get to Redondela 3 hours later. It was raining so we could not really sit on the ground. Still enjoyed it. Staying in Casa de Herbs tonight. 12 euro each with linen. Be mindful when you are emailing the accommodation that the replies may be in your spam folder.

Here is my update on Vigo. You have to walk up the side road to the right if Iglesia de Santiago for about 300m until you come to Rua Uzaiz. Turn left onto it and walk the length of it for 2km until it becomes pedestrianised. At the end of that section, turn left onto Via Toledo. This is marked with a yellow arrow. Walk on Via Toledo going through the crossroads until you come to Rua Cantabria on the right, also marked by a yellow arrow. There are proper way markers from here. To this point took about 30 mins to walk. You then walk through suburbia for about 15 minutes until you come to lovely woodland walkways all marked. Beware! There is not one bench or coffee shop until you get to Redondela 3 hours later. It was raining so we could not really sit on the ground. Still enjoyed it. Staying in Casa de Herbs tonight. 12 euro each with linen. Be mindful when you are emailing the accommodation that the replies may be in your spam folder.

Thanks for the update! We were there at the exact same time 2 years ago so it's really nice to hear about your journey!

Thanks so much for the info!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Washie, just getting ready for our trip now. Just want to see it you were able to get the compostela in Santiago, even though you did not have the stamp from the church in Vigo.

Hi Catherine,
I got the stamp in the hotel I was staying in across the road and to the left of the church called "The NH Hotel Vigo". Directly across from the church is The Hotel Atlantico. They are really good value and have a brilliant coffee shop attached. You can get a stamp at this hotel and in the coffee shop too. Either place will give you directions from there to the Camino. Have something to eat and drink in Vigo before you go as once you are about 40 minutes into your walk there isn't any shop, bench or stop until you are in redondela. I'm so jealous, I want to do it again. Enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back