• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vigo to Santiago

Julia GT

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for summer (2019)
Hello to the Camino community and thank you for your posts. I have found this forum very helpful as I plan and grow excited about my upcoming walk, in late June, with my mother, sister and daughter. My mother is 88, my daughter 21 and my sister and I are in our 50s. My mother has wanted to walk for many years but could not get our attention until last year when she said it was the last thing on her bucket list. So off we go...we are all in our own way preparing. My question is, has anyone officially received a certificate in Santiago that started in Vigo? My mother, although quite healthy, is still quite old, and we would really like to start in Vigo, if it works to do so. Thank you, Julie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think. You can get a certificate (Compostela) if you walk the last 100 km, so you can get it if you start from Tui.

I would also recommend to start from Tui and not from Vigo, as there are more accomodation-options on the central way. So it is easier to break the journey down in smaller sections which are feasible for your mom.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In April 2019 340 pilgrims started in Vigo and got their compostela. If not, they shouldn't be in the statistics of the pilgrims office. On the other hand there is rumour that Lugo is too short for the Compostela. It shows 539 for it. Tui was 1786.

Vigo- Redondela is 16km (gronze.com). Then it is exactly the same route as from Tui. If 16km is still a bit much, walking Vigo city to the outskirts one day and getting back to the hotel in Taxi or bus. Then the same way back the other morning with the continuation to Redondela seems almost relaxing.

Tui-Redondela is 31 km, but O Porrino is 15 km to Redondela and the outskirts of O Porrino still qualify for a compostela such as does Lugo (though it is only some 98, something km from the city-walls).

I'm not 100% sure about the gronze.com distance of 16km for Vigo-Redondela along the camino, but more than 20km is highly unlikely. Google says it is only 14km, so don't worry about a thirty something km leg.
I agree with the statement about the last 100km. That must be around O Porriño. So you can start in Vigo, even without getting a stamp in the town of Vigo you fulfil all requirements for the Compostela (certificate).

buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have askel Pilgrim Office in Santiago, if I can get the Compostela when I begin in Vigo. Yes, they said, TaKe the first sello in the Cathedral of Vigo. Buen Camino.

The 100 km point is a bit outside from Vigo and yes I walked from Porto over Vigo. It’s bit of a fuddle. There are some other treads with exactly the same question.
While Vigo does not have a hostel anymore inexpensive hotels are available. There are hostels LN the way further, if needed buses and trains. Just saying. Since you are two hotels would be fairly inexpensive. For a non tourist good and inexpensive meal go to the market under it where the market workers eat you find authentic meals for little money. You will find a stamp at the tourist office or I read at the St. Jakobs at mess time.
Bon Camino

Thank you - each of you for your thoughtful replies. We will start in Vigo. I will report back in July! With gratitude, Julie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will look forward to your report. We are doing Vigo to Santiago in October and have confirmed 100km OK for compostela with pilgrims office

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back