• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vila do Conde - accommodation in June

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

I will be starting the Camino Portugues from Porto on June 6. I'm thinking of walking the coastal route on the first day and, with an eye on not walking too far on the first day, have my eye on spending that night at Vila do Conde, before connecting with main route at Arcos the next day.

My query relates to something I read in the Brierley guide. During the relevant passage, he says of Vila do Conde: "Best to avoid June and July when motor racing through the town and summer tourists make accommodation scarce, expensive and noisy".

Reading that has left me a little bit concerned. As I mentioned above, I'll be starting the walk on June 6, so I'm wondering does anyone know whether being so early in the month will allow me to beat the rush that Brierley refers to? If I get to Vila do Conde and accommodation is a problem, as best as I can make out, it'll mean an additional 10 kms to find another sleeping opportunity. I don't think my body would thank me for that so early in the Camino!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the reply.

I checked out your blog and previous responses you've posted on the forum, and you single out two hostels as good budget conscious options - Hospedaria O Manco D'Areia and Pensao Patarata. I've done some checking online and I can't seem to find any email address for either hostel. I know you've listed phone numbers, but my Portuguese is still a work in progress and will be extremely basic while I'm walking in Portugal. I'm not sure I would be confident or comfortable trying to make a hostel/hotel booking over the phone!

Do you happen to know if either place can be contacted via email, or failing that do you have any other recommendations? From my online work, it seems like it would be easier to make a booking with either Hospederia Venceslau or Estalagem do Brazao, though I'm guessing the two listed above would be cheaper!

Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes the two listed above are much cheaper. I fear they have no e mail. You could try phoning them and speaking very slowly in English or Spanish - they are probably competent in the language of bookings! The alternative would be to e mail or telephone the local tourist office and ask them to make the booking for you.

You could have your hotel/hostal in Porto call as well--though if it is crowded for the summer, a last minute call might not get you what you want. This is a beautiful walk for your first day. And the gentleman who runs D'Areia is delightful and kind.

Portia1 said:
You could have your hotel/hostal in Porto call as well--though if it is crowded for the summer, a last minute call might not get you what you want. This is a beautiful walk for your first day. And the gentleman who runs D'Areia is delightful and kind.

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I'm travelling with a friend and we actually won't be starting in Porto itself. We're flying into Porto on June 5, and our plan is to go to Matosinhos from there, and start walking the next morning, rather than overnight in Porto and then make our way there on the following morning. The Brierley guide talks about getting a Metro from the heart of Porto to Matosinhos, an idea which doesn't appeal to either myself or my friend. I walked the Camino Frances last summer, and loved the fact that from that first morning arriving in St Jean until waking up in Muxia on day 37, I was only conveyed by my own feet. My walk this summer will be a lot shorter, but the idea of getting a Metro on my first day is a total turn-off. So, my friend and I have booked a hostel in Matosinhos for that first day!

That said, I am becoming a little bit concerned about the Vila do Conde accommodation situation. I certainly don't want to pay a big price for overnighting, but neither do I think it would be a good idea to walk on if the budget options aren't available.

That Hospedaria O Manco D'Areia and Pensao Patarata don't have email addresses is unfortunate... for me! I find the prospect of a language barrier phone call absolutely torturous, but I suspect I am running out of options on that front!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Alternatively, the path of least resistance may be to just leave it to fate and take my chances on the day! That would certainly require less mental energy at this point when such resources are best spent in other ways! ;-)

Hi, another option is a new Albergue de Peregrinos which has opened in Povoa do Varzim which is about 3-5km past Vila Do Conde. I have seen the facebook page for it and they had their first pilgrims on the 17 May a german and american couple, sorry i couldnt post a link but im typing this from my not the state of the art mobile.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
mikevasey said:
The link for the new albergue ishttps://www.facebook.com/alberguesaojosederibamar, I have just noticed from the little information they provide that it could be only a summer albergue, the rest of the year it goes to another use, there are a few albergues on the Camino Del Norte like this.

That is excellent news. Looks like a good fall-back option. Thanks so much for posting this!

Mark2012, I understand that you want to rely only on your feet, but somehow, everybody advices the other pilgrims to start outside of Porto and taking the Metro for example to Matosinhos. The thing is that, the first km after leaving Porto go through a National Road that serves mainly for trucks and companies cars (it's what we call it an Industrial Road).

A good think that the Porto Metro has it's that, 90% of it it's actually located above the ground. So it works a little bit more like a Tram than a Metro.

I would consider for you to take the advice from mikevasey, and stay in the Albergue of Póvoa de Varzim which is not open a long time ago, and it has perfect conditions. And if you're going by foot, be aware of the Trucks ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Mark,

We took a bus out to Matosinhos last week. Nr 500 leaves from Praça Liberdade (at least every 10mins) and takes around 30-40min following the riverside. It was nice to see the surroundings and less of a turn down than a metro might be.

Also a friend of mine walked an alternative route: he walked along the riverside out of town and loved it. It means an additional 10km for the day though. If you feel you can do it and feel it is important for you to walk, I'm quite sure you would enjoy the walk along the river side to Matosinhos.

Bon camino,

Mira

Miranet said:
Hi Mark,

We took a bus out to Matosinhos last week. Nr 500 leaves from Praça Liberdade (at least every 10mins) and takes around 30-40min following the riverside. It was nice to see the surroundings and less of a turn down than a metro might be.

Also a friend of mine walked an alternative route: he walked along the riverside out of town and loved it. It means an additional 10km for the day though. If you feel you can do it and feel it is important for you to walk, I'm quite sure you would enjoy the walk along the river side to Matosinhos.

Bon camino,

Mira

Hi Mira,

Thanks for taking the time to write that post. It is much appreciated. My friend and I are most likely to get a taxi from the airport direct to Matosinhos, so we probably won't even set foot in Porto. We're flying in on June 5, so the plan is to get to Matosinhos (we have a hostel booking), take it easy for the day and then start walking on June 6.

How is the Camino going for you? If you were in Matosinhos last week, you must have walked quite a distance since then. And how has the weather been???

Diogo92 said:
I would consider for you to take the advice from mikevasey, and stay in the Albergue of Póvoa de Varzim which is not open a long time ago, and it has perfect conditions. And if you're going by foot, be aware of the Trucks ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Diogo,

Yes, that definitely sounds like a very good idea. It might not be easy to get affordable accommodation in Vila do Conde, so it's very reassuring to know there will be an alternative within reasonable walking distance. I don't want to find myself walking too far on the first day!

Beware that the albergue in Póvoa is hard to find - I think what you're supposed to do is go to the S. José de Ribamar church, hope someone is there, and ask around for the keys. Probably best to contact them on Facebook first if you're thinking of staying there.

(I actually spent the night there last week, turning up at the building itself unexpected and unannounced - a neat trick in itself as there is no address published anywhere! Not recommended, to be honest.)

Póvoa is actually at the end of a very long metro line (a few stops after Vila do Conde), so you could, if necessary, head back into town for the night.

Note also that Matosinhos to Póvoa is 36km, which some might consider pushing it for the first day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed at Vila do Conde, but found Povoa to be a very beautiful city. I'm in Viana now and found yellow arrows hard to find on coastal route between Esposende and Viana and finally ended up taking the International highway, which was a disaster dodging cars. It seems that locals are not familiar with yellow arrows along coast. When I arrived in Viana, I went to the sea and was still unable to pick up yellow arrows. Can someone give me some guidance on finding arrows leaving Viana and how the route is marked to Caminha? Also have not come across one pilgrim in 3 days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Made it to Póvoa de Varzim. Went to the tourist office and they directed me to St Joseph's church on Avenida Mousinho, the hostal is on the same road nearly opposite the church at number 32 first floor only 16 beds I think, with lovely hot water and shower facilities, no cooking though. The tourist office rang ahead for me so when I got to the church someone was waiting for me with the keys, I got the hosta all to myself!!!! what luxury!!they only been opened for a couple of weeks so I am sure they will get it sorted. I found the town lovely and a watering hole and plenty of food every few yards. 8)

Mark2012 said:
How is the Camino going for you? If you were in Matosinhos last week, you must have walked quite a distance since then. And how has the weather been???

Hi Mark,

It's been a bit more than a week and my camino is over (the camino of life continues of course :)).

Weather was quite cool till till yesterday - even I also got very got days at the start. I would recommend a light sleeping bag if you plan to stay in alberges along the way. Last month was unusually cold for Portuguese standards.

Bom caminho,

Mira

Walker-Brother
Great maps, wish I had printed them before I left. I walked along the beach out of Viana, and the only trail where I saw yellow arrows was the red line, which I had planned to take tomorrow. Now I am going to take a chance with the green line path. Little uncomfortable because last time i did this i never saw any arrows and it added 30% to my day. Thanks for the help. Rick

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll write this all up in detail next month, but in the mean time...

Myself and a friend are walking up the coast from Porto and will be hitting Vigo tomorrow. Note that we're walking as close to the coast as possible, often on the beaches, rather than any marked or "official" routes. (Even the "litoral" route is away from the shore-line most of the time.)

This has proved remarkably easy with the occasional use of smartphone satellite maps.

The only tricky bits so far have been:

1. detouring around the river half-way between Esposende and Viana. This is not safely fordable at the moment (if it ever is.) The route shown in the maps linked earlier does appear to work, although we followed our own path.

2. although you can follow the coast from A Guarda for 1-2km, the path soon dwindles and disappears. As soon as you feel this happening, head up to the road (backtracking if necessary), otherwise you'll be entering a genuinely dangerous world of hurt. (Yeah, this wasn't my day leading...)

3. the coast-line from A Guarda to Baiona is basically one long stretch of rocks with no substantial paths close to the sea, so we fell back to the marked/arrow route (mainly road-walking.)

and looking ahead:

4. the coast-line from Vigo to Redondela looks uninteresting on the satellite view, so considering catching a boat across to Moaña, hiking over the peninsula to Bueu, then following the coast to Pontevedra to join the main Portuguese route there.

Glad we choose at the very last minute in Vila do Conde not to follow the coastal route but just over the bridge the interior route via Rates and Barcelos last week.
Arriving in Santiago within 3 days !
Best regards and bom caminho

Robventures,
Thanks for the advice on route out of A Guarda. Unfortunately I don't have satellite maps and I'm alone. Haven't seen a pilgrim since a started in Porto. Local in Moledo said he hasn't seen one in seven days. I guess I have been a little too loose with planning this coastal route.

Albertino,
Even though there are challenges, you are missing some of the most incredible scenery. I live close to the #1 beach in the US and thought I would get tired of the sea, but as you move north along the coast it continues to throw amazing beauty and power at you . I also almost made that turn towards Rates and so glad that I didn't. All of Portugal and Spain are beautiful so I'm sure you are having a great Caminho

Robventures,
Was able to avoid main road and follow " arrows" on path parallel to highway
for at least half of the way to Oia. Just outside Oia it got crazy.

robventures

Looking forward to your write-up, the more detailed route info the better.

Rickster

Keep posting, finding the updates most informative.

cheers

Walker-Brother

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Coastal route gets better and better. When finished, I will post some seaside hotels that I stayed in
that were excellent for barely more than the price of an albergue. In Redondela now, arrive in Santiago in 4 days. Only saw 4 pilgrims until I reached Redondela from Porto; today I saw15.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back