• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vila do Conde or Mosteiro de Vairão?

HANNA MARIA

Time of past OR future Camino
march 2016
Hello there!

I will start my camino next week, but I still have one big question. Unfortunately our Pilgrims Guide by John Brierley hasn't arrived yet.

As I have read that there is two options to start the camino from Porto:
1. From Porto by metro (stop Mercado) and then walk to Vila do Conde.

2. Take the metro from Porto to Forum Maia and walk from there to Mosteiro de Vairão.

Which way is better? Is the way to Mosteiro de Vairao marked? Is there a albreague in Vila do Conde (or cheap alterantive)?

I would really like walking next to the ocean, but it's still important that the way is marked and there is a cheap sleeping place.

Thank you! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Hanna Maria, I have the new guise and it suggests travelling on the metro to Matosinhos (see other posts as to the direction you take after the Mercado there) and starting walking from there. I am walking the coastal route in April and booked into Erva Doce for my first night. They have dormitory bunk beds for £12 and a double room for £30 both including breakfast. Available now on Booking.com and with no deposit and free cancellation. the place has very good reviews. Buen camino!

Thank you so much! I was a bit worried about the beginning of our trip, but I managed to get the last room in Erva Doce and it all seems to come together!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much! I was a bit worried about the beginning of our trip, but I managed to get the last room in Erva Doce and it all seems to come together!

Opening on March 15, 2016
Albergue Santa Clara.
Vila do Conde.

12809523_1145379755486509_8402522327770798863_n.jpg

Vila do Conde is a great, little place. I recommend the Coastal, all the way to S de C.

Great to see an albergue option in Vila do Conde. Do you know if it is attached to the monastery? Any location details? I can't seem to find anything on the web yet. Thanks for the tip #amsimoes

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello there!

I will start my camino next week, but I still have one big question. Unfortunately our Pilgrims Guide by John Brierley hasn't arrived yet.

As I have read that there is two options to start the camino from Porto:
1. From Porto by metro (stop Mercado) and then walk to Vila do Conde.

2. Take the metro from Porto to Forum Maia and walk from there to Mosteiro de Vairão.

Which way is better? Is the way to Mosteiro de Vairao marked? Is there a albreague in Vila do Conde (or cheap alterantive)?

I would really like walking next to the ocean, but it's still important that the way is marked and there is a cheap sleeping place.

Thank you! :)
Take the coastal route. It makes for a long day, 24 kilometers I think, but the walk is well worth it. Cross the bridge and turn left, walk to the Atlantic, turn right and follow the the beach and arrows. The walk from Vila do Conde to Rates and the main route is great too. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Walking from Fórum Maia is a great walk too, well waymarked-in fact it is the ancient caminho before they even talked about Porto-Matosinhos-Vila do Conde.
You walk through a rural area and after about 12 kms you'll find the ancient monastry from Vairão. The hospitaleiros are pleasant people.
From Vairão you easily walk through a nice rural area to São Pedro de Rates where is the next albergue. From there you are on the central Portuguese caminho to Santiago.
I walked both, the coastal one to Vila do Conde and the one to Vairão. I liked them both . It is up to choose your self.

The walk to Matosinhos is pleasant too! I'm not sure why so many say to skip it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Take the coastal route. It makes for a long day, 24 kilometers I think, but the walk is well worth it. Cross the bridge and turn left, walk to the Atlantic, turn right and follow the the beach and arrows. The walk from Vila do Conde to Rates and the main route is great too. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
This is the route, I intend to follow in a week; starting from Porto on the 19th. Depending on how fast I get the essential seightseeing in Porto over with, I suspect I'll take the metro to Matosinhos and start walking from there just before noon (which is also one of the options mentioned in Brierley's latest edition).

This is the route, I intend to follow in a week; starting from Porto on the 19th. Depending on how fast I get the essential seightseeing in Porto over with, I suspect I'll take the metro to Matosinhos and start walking from there just before noon (which is also one of the options mentioned in Brierley's latest edition).
When exploring Porto, take the metro to Matosinhos and then follow the ocean and river back to Porto. Its a great walk with plenty to see and you can have dinner at one of the restaurants along the river. If you are going to take the coastal route you need to start early. Porto to Vila de Conde is a long slog. level but long and did I mention all the cobble stone roads, trails, and sidewalks? Buen Caminos

Great to see an albergue option in Vila do Conde. Do you know if it is attached to the monastery? Any location details? I can't seem to find anything on the web yet. Thanks for the tip #amsimoes

From Facebook:
"Inauguração do Albergue Santa Clara

Vila do Conde inaugura já na terça feira o “Albergue Santa Clara”, na Rua 5 de outubro, nolocal do antigo Centro de Artesanato.
A inauguração é às 11h, na presença da presidente da Câmara de Vila do Conde e do presidente do Turismo do Porto e Norte de Portugal.

No mesmo local, o Turismo do Porto e Norte de Portugal apresenta a primeira compilação de sugestões turísticas vocacionadas especificamente para as famílias.
“Viajar em Família” é um guia que pretende promover o Porto e Norte de Portugal como “um destino amigo das famílias”.

I am starting from Porto in May and booked into Erva Doce. But now I am ready to change my plans.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many thanks for the albergue update. Here is a rough translation of some information I found:

The Municipality of Vila do Conde today inaugurated the Hostel Santa Clara for the pilgrims to do the Portuguese Way of the Coast, passing by Vila do Conde and goes to Santiago de Compostela.
The Hostel Santa Clara, next to EN13 National Road, Street 5 October, half walls with Municipal Market Vila do Conde, has a maximum capacity of 25 seats in three dormitories.
the hostel Santa Clara was created in the old building of the Municipal Centre of Vila do Conde Crafts, disabled a few years ago , which for more than half a year has undergone rehabilitation works to convert the equipment in a hostel for pilgrims.
the Mayor of Vila do Conde, Elisa Ferraz, points out that "for a long time that the municipal executive was intended to join movement of pilgrimages and the hostel is not only available for the pilgrims who make the path of the Coast to Santiago de Compostela, as well as pilgrimages to Fatima. "
the Vilacondense mayor highlights" the location of the equipment, in the city center, which will comply with the camera objective and open the county to the world. "
Melchior Moreira, President of the Regional Tourism Organization of Porto and North of Portugal, want" Hostel Santa Clara can make the hostellers stay in Vila do Conde more one day, to know the city "and expects the North of Portugal may have, by 2020, 7 million tourists."
the Hostel of Santa Clara, which is already starting today open door, has 25 beds and a set of services in self-service system, such as kitchenette, dining room and living, terrace and terrace, laundry room with washer and dryer, toilet facilities with hot water, support for bicycles and internet. Alluding to the Monastery of Santa Clara, one of the wards is called "Room of the Founders" and is great for families because the provision of a double bed and bunk beds can accommodate a total of seven people.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back