• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vila do Conde to Barcelos - Advice Needed - Thanks

David Manzo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese (2018)
Would appreciate advice on how best to follow the Camino Portugues from Vila do Conde to Barcelos? Confusing or clearly marked? Any particulars we should pay attention to? On-line map between these two points? Sites we should see? Many thanks peregrinos.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,
Clearly marked. Have you decided to walk the interior/central or the coastal route? That will impact the information generated by folks on the Forum.
Bom Cominho
Arn
Thanks. First day Porto to Vila do Conde. Second day connect to central route ending in Barcelos on day 2.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello David,
My partner Skip and I are doing the same route. We’ll be starting on May 16 from Porto. Very much looking forward!
Bom Caminho,
Elisabeth

Back to the basic question is it: the Litoral or the Central? A big, well maybe not so big difference.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It seems you are starting on the coastal then moving across. I did this in 2016 and the crossing from VdC to Rates was not very well marked.i used the Brierley guide, following the aquaduct but did get lost at one point, though was helped on my way by locals.
Going through to Barcelos in 1 day is quite a lot but perhaps you are in a rush?
There is a quaint albergue just opp Barcelos run by a Folk Dancing club. Really lovely with a great view of the river and town.
bom Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked from Vila do Conde to Barcelos almost a year ago to the day! :) There will be a lot of people in the albergue of Vila do Conde who'll be joining the central way as well as you do so ask around. It's always eaisier to walk with Germans who always have very detailed guides :) So we didn't walk along the aqueduct, but rather along the river, the way is not well marked but was relatively easy to find and follow. We walked to Barcelos, pretty doable, started around 6.30fm, came there some time after 3 or 4pm, so I had time to explore and enjoy the city :) Central way is vell marked after Barcelos.

I walked from Vila do Conde to Barcelos almost a year ago to the day! :) There will be a lot of people in the albergue of Vila do Conde who'll be joining the central way as well as you do so ask around. It's always eaisier to walk with Germans who always have very detailed guides :) So we didn't walk along the aqueduct, but rather along the river, the way is not well marked but was relatively easy to find and follow. We walked to Barcelos, pretty doable, started around 6.30fm, came there some time after 3 or 4pm, so I had time to explore and enjoy the city :) Central way is vell marked after Barcelos.
Thanks that’s very helpful.

Hello David,
My partner Skip and I are doing the same route. We’ll be starting on May 16 from Porto. Very much looking forward!
Bom Caminho,
Elisabeth
How did the connection between Vila do Conte and Barcelos work for you? Any tips?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello David,
Bom Caminho,
Elisabeth
Hello David,
It was clearly marked. We never got lost. It’s a longer section so get a good nights rest and stretch
It was an extraordinary walk to Santiago!
Bom camino.

Hi David.
We walked this route a couple of weeks ago. As @always me said, it's clearly marked but the arrows in Vila do Conde can be more difficult to spot.

You need to pay attention when leaving V do C. Start at the bridge over the river (the one you cross the previous day to enter the town). Walk for a very short distance with the river on your right and watch out for an arrow that directs you veer left. Keep watching for arrows - they are there, but sometimes hard to spot.

The next junction I remember is a roundabout with a main road and a tram line. There's an arrow there directing you to go straight ahead. After that, the route is pretty uncomplicated and mostly on country roads. Be mindful of the traffic - the cars can come very fast around those bends.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
We will be doing the same thing. We are starting on July 13 from Porto then July 14 from Vila Do Conde to Barcelos. This is all helpful information!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I travelled this way eighteen months ago. Here's what I wrote then:-

Having brought people here [VdC], John Brierley offers no suggestions as to how to hack one's way over to the Caminho Central again. However, it's easy enough. One turns right off the main drag [N 13] onto the Rua da Lapa, and then it's a straight run into Touguinha, five or six kilometres to the north-east. In Touguinha village, after turning right and crossing the river, there are enough yellow arrows to make navigation without a map easy until one rejoins the main trail at the village of Arcos....

The road between Vila do Conde and Arcos is narrow, mostly cobbled, and surprisingly busy. On most of it there's no footpath or shoulder, and it can be extremely hazardous. I was nearly squashed as flat as a flounder against a high stone wall by the tail of a 'bus coming at speed around a blind bend. The one advantage of the cobblestoned surface is that it makes it easier to hear traffic you can't see. Great caution is necessary for the pedestrian, especially when approaching a bend to the left.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back