• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vila do Conde to Rates

If you think you may want to do this stretch of the Camino Portugues, don't or carry a can of yellow paint and mark your own. Only saw 2 arrows at the bridge in Vila do Conde and then nothing until Junqueira. Do the interior stretch instead from Vilarinho. Still a bit of confusion trying to get pass the industrial estate of Porto. The arrival at Rates was woth it if only for the great welcome received from Antonio (from Aveiro) the Hospitalero for our arrival.
Cote 8) :arrow:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
cote.lesta said:
If you think you may want to do this stretch of the Camino Portugues, don't or carry a can of yellow paint and mark your own. Only saw 2 arrows at the bridge in Vila do Conde and then nothing until Junqueira. Do the interior stretch instead from Vilarinho. Still a bit of confusion trying to get pass the industrial estate of Porto. The arrival at Rates was woth it if only for the great welcome received from Antonio (from Aveiro) the Hospitalero for our arrival.
Cote 8) :arrow:

Just wondering if anyone knows if the waymarking from Vila do Conde to Rates is still as sketchy as the above post suggested. I hope to be walking that stretch early next month, and - Brierley guide notwithstanding - I'm not blessed with the best internal radar!

Mark
I walked this way last October and my experience was much better than the one cote has recorded. There were definitely good yellow arrows from Touginha - I even photographed them.
Before then, there's nothing to worry about in my view. If you go to the tourist office the evening before in Vila (very interesting town with bizarre Aquaduct), they'll give you a basic map and draw the route for you.
I did a little detour to follow the river and wasn't sure I'd got back on the right road. I then had a wonderful experience like being in the movie The Truman Show. I paused at a small road and a woman opened the blind on her window and pointed left. I hesitated a second at the next small turning and an old woman on the other side of the road putting her rubbish in a wheelie bin stopped to indicate I should go straight on. Then I got to a junction with shops, turned right and slowed to look for a road sign that correlated with my map. A man free-wheeled his bike up to me and explained in English the next stages of the route, which pretty much brought me to the first yellow arrow.
I have a theory that they don't want yellow arrows here, as they enjoy being able to help pilgrims find the way.... :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
peregrino_tom said:
Mark
I walked this way last October and my experience was much better than the one cote has recorded. There were definitely good yellow arrows from Touginha - I even photographed them.
Before then, there's nothing to worry about in my view. If you go to the tourist office the evening before in Vila (very interesting town with bizarre Aquaduct), they'll give you a basic map and draw the route for you.
I did a little detour to follow the river and wasn't sure I'd got back on the right road. I then had a wonderful experience like being in the movie The Truman Show. I paused at a small road and a woman opened the blind on her window and pointed left. I hesitated a second at the next small turning and an old woman on the other side of the road putting her rubbish in a wheelie bin stopped to indicate I should go straight on. Then I got to a junction with shops, turned right and slowed to look for a road sign that correlated with my map. A man free-wheeled his bike up to me and explained in English the next stages of the route, which pretty much brought me to the first yellow arrow.
I have a theory that they don't want yellow arrows here, as they enjoy being able to help pilgrims find the way.... :D

Thanks for that. Very reassuring. Between the guide book, the arrows, and the locals, I should be able to find my way!!!

Same here. I walked this just a week ago and marking was fine. Also locals seem to know the path already on that stretch so they can usually point you directions if you get insecure.

Cheers, Mira

I ran into this post completely by accident -- I thought I was in another thread -- and realized that the hospitalero Antonio that Cote is talking about at Rates is the same person I met a few weeks ago while walking the Camino Primitivo. He is from Aveiro and frequently volunteers at Rates. Antonio was also very friendly and helpful as a fellow pilgrim on the Primitivo. I passed Cote's post along to him and he was pleased to be appreciated.

I hope one day to walk the Portuguese and maybe stop at Rates myself. For now, just another little camino coincidence! :wink: Buen camino to all.

Martha

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Dear colleagues,

We spent a night at Vila do Conde in May. Next day we found our way without any problem using the John Brierly’s Guide book and painted arrows. Sometime it happens when you look at the yellow arrow sign or the shell and cannot see them. Fortunately I had my wife with me and she just pointed my eyes and nose at the signs.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back