• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro - Pradela route

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
Any Help on route selection: I am considering taking the mountain route (Pradela) when leaving Villafranca del Bierzo, and Brierly book advises a reroute is planned and that the signage is difficult to find and there are many routes once on top of the mountains. Any advice about the trail markings and if it is OK finding your way, and/or about a relo track to make it quicker?

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's been a few years since I took that option but I don't remember signage being a problem.
And if you use a Camino app with GPS the alternate route should be on it. I know that it's in the Buen Caminoapp.

hikerat1,
For several earlier forum posts re the mountain route drop the term Pradela into the blue search box at the upper left of this page.
Enjoy your research and Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I turned left and walked up the hill to take the Dragonte route. It was beautiful for many reasons and will really allow you to get into yourself. However, if you like well marked trails, coffee shops and people, then Dragonte may not be as rewarding for you. In that case, go right along Pradela and avoid the center path along the highway.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It is easy-peasy. Immediately after the bridge leaving Villafranca, there is an upward slope to the right. That's it! Once on the path, you can't get lost. Keep going. Be sure to stop for a bite at Albergue Lamas - a nice family runs it and has a few sandwiches and beverages to offer. From Pradela, Trabedelo is short a short hike down the mountain

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lovely, challenging walk. No issues with signage that I remember (2021)—it’s just the one path that goes uphill to the right, after the bridge, as described above. And huge ❤️ for the family de albergue Lamas! When the husband saw me limping he offered to drive me to Casa Susi, when he was done with his chores. What to do but accept the gift?! Had a wonderful salad while I waited, looked out over the gorgeous Bierzo, and a friendly conversation in the car. Would stay there next time if I could… Buen camino!

Any Help on route selection: I am considering taking the mountain route (Pradela) when leaving Villafranca del Bierzo, and Brierly book advises a reroute is planned and that the signage is difficult to find and there are many routes once on top of the mountains. Any advice about the trail markings and if it is OK finding your way, and/or about a relo track to make it quicker?

Thanks
We walked this way last year, and every time in fact
no problem finding the way and it’s a beautiful path
a very short detour to albergue Lamas at Pradela made a great walk even better
its well signed and can be seen from the crossroads

I am considering taking the mountain route (Pradela) when leaving Villafranca del Bierzo
I am curious that this is called the "mountain route" since the Dragonte option seems more mountainous.

I walked the Pradela route a few years ago, and found the signage at that time to be a bit confusing. However, I never felt lost because the valley must stay on your left, you can often see Trabadelo, and eventually you will emerge at the road. (At least that is what it felt like to me.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I turned left and walked up the hill to take the Dragonte route. It was beautiful for many reasons and will really allow you to get into yourself. However, if you like well marked trails, coffee shops and people, then Dragonte may not be as rewarding for you. In that case, go right along Pradela and avoid the center path along the highway.

I am curious that this is called the "mountain route" since the Dragonte option seems more mountainous.

The Pradela route or as Gronze labels it Camino de la montaña is not the same as the Dragonte route.

There are three routes out of Villafranca del Bierzo.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 132125.png

Here's more info on the Dragonte route.

Last edited:

Thanks
I have done the Pradela route twice and the valley route twice . The Pradela route is wonderful any only a little harder. The views are stunning and it’s a Roman road. I did get a little confused in the grove at the top but keep walking west and it will appear. I would have liked to go the extra K on to the village of Pradela and I will next time . You can have a nice Albergue in La Faba and not go on the O’Ceberio. But I’ll say again go high it’s worth it

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks
Take the high road is scenic no problems you'll love it.

I took the Pradela route in 2016 and had no problems with signage. The first part (I can't remember how far or how long) is very steep. Incredibly steep! But after that it's not so bad. I tried the Dragonte route last year and got lost. I had to turn back. There was no signage after Villar de Corrales. But with GPS (which I don't use) you could be OK.

In October of 2022, I hiked the high route via Paradela and found the route fairly easy to navigate. Whenever I felt unsure, I would come across a camino marker that reassured me. I mainly relied on my common sense and followed the most logical path, keeping an eye out for the most prominent footprints. Near the highest point near the forest, I noticed wide fire breaks cut along the ridges, but I had no trouble finding the correct route into Paradela.

The stunning views along the way were worth the effort, and I savored the solitude as I did not come across another person during my hike. One of the highlights of the trip were the old chestnut orchards that I stumbled upon. Overall, it was a memorable and rewarding alternate.

I have attached a few photos to give you an idea of what to expect.

Attachments

• 6778E483-6DBB-4E14-A5DA-8BA621330C46.jpeg
    6778E483-6DBB-4E14-A5DA-8BA621330C46.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 0947D42F-45E7-4054-8280-CBEA90AB661D.jpeg
    0947D42F-45E7-4054-8280-CBEA90AB661D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • A682A161-2CBF-42EF-AF5F-629D0B5AD275.jpeg
    A682A161-2CBF-42EF-AF5F-629D0B5AD275.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 4517E782-AF55-4377-834B-90798FB335F7.jpeg
    4517E782-AF55-4377-834B-90798FB335F7.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
  • C95D424E-DE0C-48A8-8C19-4F9C6DA0E433.jpeg
    C95D424E-DE0C-48A8-8C19-4F9C6DA0E433.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 39
  • B191EF5E-C2CC-4114-9289-8EB03F15DF41.jpeg
    B191EF5E-C2CC-4114-9289-8EB03F15DF41.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 0324D2CF-5C7D-482A-94AA-44834519B823.jpeg
    0324D2CF-5C7D-482A-94AA-44834519B823.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 48
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gorgeous pictures, Boots! In the past while walking the Frances twice, I have regretted not taking the detours to the Eunate church and the one to the Samos monastery.
Now I have a third regret. I remember crossing the bridge at Villafranca del Bierzo and seeing the option on the right. I'd already decided ahead of time I wasn't going to go Left on the Dragonte, so I looked to the Right and thought "No way do I want to climb that big hill either." Unfortunately I now see that was a big mistake.😐

Last edited:
I know this thread is about the Pradela option from Villafranca, but the maps posted above clearly show that there is a third option, the Dragonte route. So I thought I’d add a bit about it here. I have never walked the Dragonte route, but last fall tried to help a forum member get some more info. I found what looked like an excellent resource about it online here.

Wikiloc tracks are available, and I wouldn’t walk it without GPS. And just today I found another website that has a lot of info on the Dragonte option.

Looks like the Dragonte is more hard core, but it’s another option.

I have walked the Pradela route twice and recommend it as one of the high spots on the whole Camino . I spoke with some who walked the Dragonte route and she said it was rough and not marked well. She didn’t advise it to anyone .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.