• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villafranca Manifesto: Camino Future?

Basically, my feelings are that the Camino de Santiago is a 20th century reinvention of a medieval pilgrimage route that we, as post-modern 21st century beings, can never fully understand or experience.
We don't know and will never be able to comprehend what it was like for a medieval pilgrim to journey to Santiago. The church ruled. The people were mostly illiterate and superstitious. For them the world was a very different place - beyond our understanding.

Don Jose Ignacio (of Grañon) wrote that although we as pilgrims find ourselves confronted by the Camino's history as we walk the path, we should not lose sight of the fact that the Jacobean pilgrimage is 'living history'.

It is 2014. We are the new pilgrims on the block. We are writing a new Camino history. Why do we even try to emulate a medieval pilgrim experience? Its not possible. The Camino is a much better and safer place now than it was 800 years ago.
We belong to a motorised age and we don't have to walk hundreds of km in the wind, sun and rain in a foreign country, yet we do. The great majority of us walk for purely unselfish reasons in that we do not expect a reward at the end of it.

In an address to over 100 delegates at the 2001 CSJ Conference on 'Body and Soul, Hospitality on the Road to Compostela' Colin Jones spoke about the gulf of centuries and of culture between us [in the 21st century] and those in the 13th century. He used Burgos as an example.
"800 years ago King Alfonso VIII founded an institution which became known as the Hospital del Rey. Twelve brothers and eight chaplains administered to the needs of the pilgrims who might seek shelter there ... meeting their needs assumed near sacramental significance as if meeting Christ himself. Today, its magnificent building houses a faculty of Law. A few meters away in the adjacent park, the Parral, the local Amigos del Camino erected a series of barrack-like huts to serve as the pilgrim albergue.
While both serve the same ends, the separation of time means that the inspiration behind these two foundations has changed beyond recognition".

I have posted my comments on the last section of the Manifesto here:
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2015/01/manifesto-villafranca-del-bierzo.html

Albergue at Burgos.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed there in 2002. It was a long slog from one end of town to the park and the cabins were freezing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Texasguy - That was very informational & moving. Interesting. Now I will go to that Blog! Thanks.

What I can't figure out is why the cathedral tienda would be selling credenciales at the end of the journey-- perhaps as a souvenir? or for those occasional folks who visit Santiago before they start their Camino? O well. The Canadian group still sells theirs at $5 (to members, who pay $10 annual dues), which just covers the production and mailing cost, and has been the unchanged price for about 20 years.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.